Led Zeppelin lasts...

JRomero

Oh ok. As far as you question about Moby Dick being cut in 1977, it might be because they added Trampled Underfoot officially into the setlist. But they only played three more shows after Seattle.

It's kinda funny listening to that final drum solo in Seattle...Bonham seems to throw in a lot of quotes from his original "Pat's Delight" solo- it's almost as if he knew Seattle would be the last solo and he wanted to sort of come full circle with it. I'm wondering if that is the case though...if he actually decided, "Sod it...I'm not doin' anymore fuckin' drum solos!" or if they actually planned to carry on with it for the gigs that ended up being cancelled. Could they simply have dropped the drum solo in Tempe and Oakland due to time constraints...or the bad vibes surrounding those gigs?

There's a great story in "The Concert Files" about fans from Vancouver who were attending Knebworth and requested "Trampled" because they'd been at the Seattle '77 show and it wasn't played...apparently word of their request made it to the band and, sure enough, they played it at Knebworth (though they probably planned on doing so anyway...)

It's kinda funny listening to that final drum solo in Seattle...Bonham seems to throw in a lot of quotes from his original "Pat's Delight" solo- it's almost as if he knew Seattle would be the last solo and he wanted to sort of come full circle with it. I'm wondering if that is the case though...if he actually decided, "Sod it...I'm not doin' anymore fuckin' drum solos!" or if they actually planned to carry on with it for the gigs that ended up being cancelled. Could they simply have dropped the drum solo in Tempe and Oakland due to time constraints...or the bad vibes surrounding those gigs?

There's a great story in "The Concert Files" about fans from Vancouver who were attending Knebworth and requested "Trampled" because they'd been at the Seattle '77 show and it wasn't played...apparently word of their request made it to the band and, sure enough, they played it at Knebworth (though they probably planned on doing so anyway...)

That's pretty cool. I am not sure why Bonham stopped playing Moby Dick. I just assumed it was because Trampled Underfoot was added. Does anyone know what the remaining shows would have been on the 1977 tour had it not been canceled?

^^The band were in such bad shape mentally and physically when the third leg started in Seattle maybe after that night they just said, "fuck it let's mail in the rest of this tour" and cut it to shorten the sets...the bad vibes in 1977 were there all the way through but became almost overwhelming by the end...

^^The band were in such bad shape mentally and physically when the third leg started in Seattle maybe after that night they just said, "fuck it let's mail in the rest of this tour" and cut it to shorten the sets...the bad vibes in 1977 were there all the way through but became almost overwhelming by the end...

Gottcha. Makes sense. But do you happen to know the rest of the dates from the third leg of the tour?

Here y'go:

JULY 30 - SUPERDOME, NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (SATURDAY)

AUGUST 2 - CHICAGO STADIUM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (TUESDAY)

AUGUST 3 - CHICAGO STADIUM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (WEDNESDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 6 - RICH STADIUM, BUFFALO, NEW YORK (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (MONDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 9 - CIVIC ARENA, PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (TUESDAY)

AUGUST 10 - CIVIC ARENA, PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (WEDNESDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 13 - JFK STADIUM, PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (SATURDAY noon)

Good point about shortening the sets, BTW, Zep Fanatic...as I recall in Oakland the "Boogie Section" jam in "No Quarter" even went bye bye...but "White Summer" and the goddamn "Noise Solo" stayed...

^Yeah and in Tempe they only played a few bars of BMS before launching into Kashmir, Bonham left the stage before the end of STH...and the Oakland shows, while I think they are *OK* are certainly not great and the vibes, on stage and in the crowd, are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...

^Yeah and in Tempe they only played a few bars of BMS before launching into Kashmir, Bonham left the stage before the end of STH...and the Oakland shows, while I think they are *OK* are certainly not great and the vibes, on stage and in the crowd, are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...

:D ...we seem to bantering back and forth pretty good this morning, ZF!

I haven't heard any of those shows for ages, but it's probably a good thing Page ignored "White Summer" in Tempe...if he'd even tried to attempt playing it, it'd probably make that gawdawful version in Berlin '80 sound magnificent! And, that's right, Bonzo was outta there before Plant even finished saying, "...to heaven"; no doubt ol' John Henry was probably cringing with embarassment over the bad performance they just subjected the crowd to! (I may defend the '77 tour to the death but what they did to a paying audience in Tempe is a travesty)

As for the Oakland shows...no doubt the vibes are bad- at the first show, their fucking management stomped a guy for pretty much no reason at all (the dude might have slapped Grant's son but you gotta admit their retribution for said slap was a little, shall we say, Over The Top???) and as a result they were more or less performing the second show under duress. Like I said before, it would have been better for all concerned if they'd've just called it a day in LA on 27 June...

^Agreed...LA '77 was the peak of the tour and they coulda gone out on top right there...

I do have to say that Bonzo's horrific performance in San Diego on 6/19/77 was pretty dire as well. I love the 1977 tour...the setlists are great and they were still really trying. But by the end they were running on fumes. Watching Seattle 1977 is almost sad (although Stairway from that show is incredible...what a solo from Jimmy!). Jimmy is a shadow of his former self and even Bonham looks bored. I do find his drumming got a lot more linear and boring. If you listen to Achilles from some of the later 1977 tours all the way through 1980 he ends up locking into a boring 4 on the floor beat and not pushing it the way he had for most of 1977 and on Presence...

One LZ last (to get back onto the thread topic a little!) I am sad for is Ten Years Gone...always loved that song and most of the versions in 1977 were really good. Too bad they dumped it after the first Knebworth show and kept White Summer!

^Agreed...LA '77 was the peak of the tour and they coulda gone out on top right there...

I do have to say that Bonzo's horrific performance in San Diego on 6/19/77 was pretty dire as well. I love the 1977 tour...the setlists are great and they were still really trying. But by the end they were running on fumes. Watching Seattle 1977 is almost sad (although Stairway from that show is incredible...what a solo from Jimmy!). Jimmy is a shadow of his former self and even Bonham looks bored. I do find his drumming got a lot more linear and boring. If you listen to Achilles from some of the later 1977 tours all the way through 1980 he ends up locking into a boring 4 on the floor beat and not pushing it the way he had for most of 1977 and on Presence...

One LZ last (to get back onto the thread topic a little!) I am sad for is Ten Years Gone...always loved that song and most of the versions in 1977 were really good. Too bad they dumped it after the first Knebworth show and kept White Summer!

Love reading your posts dude. I agree with most of them to

Alright haven't been here in a couple of days but as for "why drop out the drum solo"?

It was time constraints, the band didn't arrive to the arena in Tempe until 9:00 PM, already so late with Page stoned the band started their set, thus dropping the drum solo to finish quicker, they didn't drop the guitar solo though, so as far as we know it could've been considered more important by the band than the drum solo, also note that for some reason that version of the Noise solo is longer than most out there. Mainly the bow segment. To get out of there in time (though they already were planning to leave early before starting the gig) they didn't play encores. Also the Black Mountain Side-Kashmir Mishap is probably due more of Page being high than they wanting to drop it, but it could've been that Page wanted to drop it anyways.

Now as the suits wore by Page on those last 3 US gigs, on Tempe he apparently wore Black Dragon Pants with a Black shirt, on the first Oakland date he wore the Black Dragon suit with the Black shirt underneath, on the second date he wore boots, a black shirt and white Pants.

Any more questions?

^^

Thank you. That explains much. Again, I haven't actually heard the Tempe show in years, on the basis of the performance itself. Knowing Zeppelin was late and wasted as well...it must have been a pretty heavy concert, vibe wise. What I remember, first seeing the Seattle video, was just how unwell Page looked. For listening, personally I prefer the audience tape I've got of Seattle. Sounds pretty good. Anyway, the fourth and final leg of the tour was getting off to a wierd start. So Seattle ultimately ended up being the last of Zeppelin's epic, three hour plus 1977 shows; the last time they did a drum solo and apparently the last time Jimmy Page wore the 'trademark' white dragon suit (think he only wore the black one a couple of times in '77). I'm beginning to think that there may have been some sort of a decision made to shake up the concerts, whittle them down (as far as I know there's no recording of "No Quarter" from Tempe but I bet it's not half an hour long like most nights either) possibly because three months or whatever of doing three hours a night was draining.

Here y'go:

JULY 30 - SUPERDOME, NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (SATURDAY)

AUGUST 2 - CHICAGO STADIUM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (TUESDAY)

AUGUST 3 - CHICAGO STADIUM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (WEDNESDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 6 - RICH STADIUM, BUFFALO, NEW YORK (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (MONDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 9 - CIVIC ARENA, PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (TUESDAY)

AUGUST 10 - CIVIC ARENA, PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (WEDNESDAY 8pm)

AUGUST 13 - JFK STADIUM, PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA (cancelled due to death of Plant's son) (SATURDAY noon)

Good point about shortening the sets, BTW, Zep Fanatic...as I recall in Oakland the "Boogie Section" jam in "No Quarter" even went bye bye...but "White Summer" and the goddamn "Noise Solo" stayed...

Cool thanks. I never knew what the last tour dates were. Thanks again.

Does anybody know why Page wore the Nazi stormtrooper outfit on the Easter gig in Chicago or was it just because he felt like it? I thought it was pretty cool because he never wore anything like that before during a show.

Perhaps he felt obligated to remind people he was the "Pilot of the Storm."

Alright haven't been here in a couple of days but as for "why drop out the drum solo"?

It was time constraints, the band didn't arrive to the arena in Tempe until 9:00 PM, already so late with Page stoned the band started their set, thus dropping the drum solo to finish quicker, they didn't drop the guitar solo though, so as far as we know it could've been considered more important by the band than the drum solo, also note that for some reason that version of the Noise solo is longer than most out there. Mainly the bow segment. To get out of there in time (though they already were planning to leave early before starting the gig) they didn't play encores. Also the Black Mountain Side-Kashmir Mishap is probably due more of Page being high than they wanting to drop it, but it could've been that Page wanted to drop it anyways.

Now as the suits wore by Page on those last 3 US gigs, on Tempe he apparently wore Black Dragon Pants with a Black shirt, on the first Oakland date he wore the Black Dragon suit with the Black shirt underneath, on the second date he wore boots, a black shirt and white Pants.

Any more questions?

Perhaps. I also think the shows were getting long and the crowds more unruly...they probably wanted to be done with the tour and chop out some filler, and let's face it, by 1977 Moby Dick was, with a few exceptions, filler.

Plus they were legendary for starting the show 1-2 hours late, so your theory is probably correct as well!

Where was the original picture of Led Zeppelin from on the Early Days album? I know the backround is from the Apollo space missions but I am talking about the band. Was it from a photo shoot or something?

0617_album.jpg

It wasn't taken whilst the band was together, it's a montage, SteveAJones knows the whole story and if my memory is right it was answered somewhere here.

Anyways, you posted in the wrong topic, don't do it again <_< !!!

• 2 weeks later...
What was the longest version of Moby Dick?

May 26th 1977, 35 minutes, actually Over the Top. 34:56

For an actual Moby Dick with the same intro & outro riffs to the studio version.

July 17th 1973, Seattle 31:12

Once again, not meant to offend you but you once again posted on the wrong topic.

Led Zeppelin Lasts

May 26th 1977, 35 minutes, actually Over the Top. 34:56

For an actual Moby Dick with the same intro & outro riffs to the studio version.

July 17th 1973, Seattle 31:12

Once again, not meant to offend you but you once again posted on the wrong topic.

Led Zeppelin Lasts

Oh sorry. I forgot to add the last longest version of Moby Dick.

Archived