GUNS N' ROSES' Chinese Democracy

The Pagemeister

way to buy everything the media has said about axl over the past 14 years people :thumbsup:

Axl is a nutjob. But I count Slash and the other guys of blowing it as well.

He was at fault for breaking up the band. But Slash to me, is untrustworthy.

The only person who's word I trust is Izzy. He's is the most sane and down to earth person from that band.

But .... ohhhh there are other bands that I have had disdain for from day one ! For Sure !

ZZ Top fall into that category for me - absolute garbage!!!

You should pick the ZZ Top 2-CD set "Ranchero Texicano".....

Now.... back to GNR ? ? ?

Hi:

The Globe and Mail (Toronto) had a poor review...2

The London Free Press affiliated with The Toronto Sun had this glowing extravaganza of a review this a.m. I can't take seeing G&R in the same article as Steven Harper!!!??!! The reviewer was giving a time line of what was happening with G&R's life as compared to the "real world"...I wanted to spew my coffee and muffin...don't ever do that again...

Juliet :dont:

Bought it yesterday, I'll give it a good blast over the next week.......... There's a lot woe is me self pity in Axl's lyrics...Just perfect for all the anguished teens out there. Should sell by the truckload.

Bought this album the other day, i'm a huge GNR fan.

I can safely say, it's amazing.

Axl is a genius.

I have the new album(no turntable anymore,lol) and CD and love the music. I got to see old Axl perform again two years ago Greensboro ,NC and they put on one helluva football stadium worthy rock performance for 6000 people !! I should be getting my free Dr. Pepper soon if they do not file chapter 11 ,LOL !http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,458431,00.html

Bought it yesterday, I'll give it a good blast over the next week.......... There's a lot woe is me self pity in Axl's lyrics...Just perfect for all the anguished teens out there. Should sell by the truckload.

I'm beginining to like this album....Actually it's rather good.......... Really enjoying the Trippy Bluesey feel of "Sorry" .

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese Democracy is just plain horrible to me. Guitars sound like the ones from the Beverly Hills 90210 theme, the Moby sounding drums are lame, and the songs suck. The only good part is Axel's voice. Otherwise, it's the worst $13 I have ever spent.

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold just under 57,000 copies in the United States in its second week of release to land at position No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart. This represents a whopping 78-percent drop from the CD's opening-week tally of 261,000.

"Chinese Democracy" dropped out of the U.K. Top 10 this past Sunday (December 7), having landed at No. 11 in its second full week of release. The CD debuted at No. 2 in the U.K. after failing to outsell "Day & Age", the latest album from Las Vegas rock group THE KILLERS.

Only singer Axl Rose remains in the current GUNS roster, having taken some 15 years to complete "Chinese Democracy" with a revolving cast of musicians.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, most of the blame for "Chinese Democracy"'s relative lack of promotion rests at the feet of Axl Rose. IGA (Interscope Geffen A&M) and Best Buy were reportedly handicapped on a number of levels, due in large part to Rose's refusal to participate in the setup — dramatically reducing the ability of the label and Best Buy to market the release.

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold just under 57,000 copies in the United States in its second week of release to land at position No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart. This represents a whopping 78-percent drop from the CD's opening-week tally of 261,000.

"Chinese Democracy" dropped out of the U.K. Top 10 this past Sunday (December 7), having landed at No. 11 in its second full week of release. The CD debuted at No. 2 in the U.K. after failing to outsell "Day & Age", the latest album from Las Vegas rock group THE KILLERS.

Only singer Axl Rose remains in the current GUNS roster, having taken some 15 years to complete "Chinese Democracy" with a revolving cast of musicians.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, most of the blame for "Chinese Democracy"'s relative lack of promotion rests at the feet of Axl Rose. IGA (Interscope Geffen A&M) and Best Buy were reportedly handicapped on a number of levels, due in large part to Rose's refusal to participate in the setup — dramatically reducing the ability of the label and Best Buy to market the release.

Also, the fact that the album wasn't that good. And also the fact that IT ISN'T GNR!

This is a damn good album. At first I wasn't so sure, but after listening to it a few times, one thing that stands out to me are the guitar solos. There are quite a few of them, and some if not most are very good IMO. What's lacking in today's music for me are kick ass guitar solos, and this album delivers big time. Axl voice is definitely in fine form, and after seeing this current lineup in '06 perform Appetite For Destruction Live in it's entirety, you won't be dissapointed if you see them live whenever a tour is announced.

Some of the songs have odd intros, but once they kick in, they rock! Sorry is an amazing song, as well as Better to name just a couple. The only song I really didn't care for is I.R.S. Give it a listen, it grows on you!

I pretty much enjoy the album myself, especially the ballads (Sorry, This I love, which have amazing guitar solos as well). Although it feels a bit too...shiny and overproduced to me, I really like it. Better, Catcher in the Rye and Prostitute are also in my Top 5.

(And I actually haven't listened to anything from this album before, and I'm glad I didn't do it so that I fully enjoy the album now).

I pretty much enjoy the album myself, especially the ballads (Sorry, This I love, which have amazing guitar solos as well). Although it feels a bit too...shiny and overproduced to me, I really like it. Better, Catcher in the Rye and Prostitute are also in my Top 5.

(And I actually haven't listened to anything from this album before, and I'm glad I didn't do it so that I fully enjoy the album now).

If you like guitar solos, check out the solo on There Was A Time. The song kind of rambles a bit at the start, then the bridge kicks in, it builds, and you are awarded with a devastating guitar solo near the end. WOW!!!

Not GNR. It's "Axl and Friends"

I don't care what they call it, it's guitar driven kick ass Rock N' Roll and that's a good thing!! As for it being GNR or not, does it really matter? This current version puts out a sound that sounds richer, fuller and heavier to this listeners ears then the original lineup. Nobody was a bigger fan of the original lineup than me, but Slash, Izzy, and Duff can't keep up with the likes of Robin Finch, Buckethead, Ron Bumblefoot, Richard Fortus and Tommy Stinson.

• 3 years later...

I so disagree with all the negativity on this album. I just heard it for the first time yesterday. It's brilliant and kick-ass all at the same time. Just for the record, I am not a die-hard GNR fan, but I do love them. In other words, I'm not going to love an album just because it is from them.

This album does come very close (IMO) to being one of their best, even though as is pointed out "their" doesn't contain any of the original members other than Axl. As much as I love Slash, and I do love me some Slash, I'm so okay without him on this project.

I think GNR (or should I say Axl) stayed true to the old-school GNR sound, but also reinvented himself. I love artists who can reinvent themselves. That's one of the reasons I love Paul McCartney so much.

So put aside all you know and think about Axl and GNR and give it a listen again with an open mind. Imagine, if you will, you have never heard of GNR and this is some unknown band and see what you think. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

It may well be a good album but as someone that's not particularly a big G n' R fan, I've never heard anything from it beyond maybe one or two songs. The funny thing was, how former (and very possibly banned) board member "Drunk" kept going on and on about how it was going to set the music world on fire and that it would forever change music itself. None of which turned to be the case, not even in the slightest. In fact, it was quite the opposite as the album tanked. Perhaps that's why he didn't take part in this thread and was long gone from the board by the time it finally did drop.

Chinese Democracy is a thinking man's rock epic. The soundscape is powerful, the lyrics very engaging and sometimes bittersweet. Axl's refusal to participate in a promotional campaign the album deserved consigned it to commercial failure, but it's unquestionably

an artistic triumph.

Archived