Stairway To Heaven

The Song Remains The Same

Misty Mountain Hop

Kashmir

-Encore:

Whole Lotta Love

Rock And Roll

• 9 months later...

Any ideas on why they decided to perform 'For Your Life', it's a great song don't get me wrong but to play to play it in public for the first time that night, just seems a bit of a surprise.

Any ideas on why they decided to perform 'For Your Life', it's a great song don't get me wrong but to play to play it in public for the first time that night, just seems a bit of a surprise.

I think they wanted to perform a song that was never done live and probably felt that one worked best. I thought it was pretty awesome to hear but then again, Presence is one of my favorite albums :D

A good surprise. :)

Sent chills through me too. It was a real goosebump moment. The first and last time they would ever play it. Just something else to make a historic night historic.

• 3 months later...

Agreed Reg! At least some of our good mates got tix! Pity there were so many in attendance who were probably sending vid to friends asking "What's this song?" one song after another.

It actually got quite a good reaction, which was nice to hear!

I spotted this taped to a video cam tripod & snapped this pic before the show started, so I got a sneek peek at the setlist that night. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 'For Your Life' on it!

l_bc3e702ff34bac15860078abf319c4af.jpg

Funny that everyone mentions that song as "the" one that they never did live, but really, Zeppelin never did Good Times (entirely) or Ramble On either. Page & Plant did.

It starts out so badass. Didn't take too long to figure out which song it was.

Then once I realized which one it was I was like OH MY GOD. I can't believe they're playing this.

Never ever expected it, but it really was one of the "oh so many" highlights of the night.

Definitely for Ahmet. I thought they were going to dedicate stairway to him but i was wrong.

I also thought for sure they would play communication breakdown, achilles and at least one off of in through the out door.

Overall an incredible setlist. An incredible night. One to remembered forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to figuring out the world of bittorrenting and have had a chance to check out the 3rd Eye and the 'Work in Progress' DVD. So here are my thoughts, months and months after the DVDs first hit the internets. I actually like the WiP one a little better, because the 3rd Eye one doesn't have enough closeups. There was some great footage shot from the first ten rows.

The performance was killer, better than pretty most post-75 bootlegs I've heard. And I'm really not too keen on most 75-era performances, either--just too uneven for me. The only major screwup I notice is coming out of the guitar solo in Dazed, there's a trainwreck in which Jason hits the triplets a couple bars late, but then Page was more loose than tight coming into that lick. But they got it back together.

For Your Life was a real highlight. Actually, everything between Black Dog and Stairway was really superb. That section of the show is really something to behold.

The tunes being in lower keys takes some getting used to for my ears, but it gives Robert more room to play around. Hell, he's actually hitting high D's which I have rarely heard him do in the last 20 years. But he did it at the end of Stairway, and then all over Rock and Roll, especially the last note of the show. Apparently not having to worry about the next gig prompted him to go all out.

Seems like the end of Jimmy's solo in Stairway caught Robert by surprise, as Jimmy wasn't playing the usual ending that I'm used to hearing. It's funny to me because at Live Aid, Robert started singing the end of the tune before Jimmy's solo was finished, so I guess they're even now. :D

Robert really seems to phone it in during the beginning of Whole Lotta Love. Compared to the versions they did during 95-98, that whole rendition is a bit no-frills. But all in all, they were really firing on all cylinders.

It's a shame how many Zep fans stayed home when I remember footage of 20-year-old VIP model bimbos going to the show, when they probably never heard more than three Zep tunes.

I haven't spotted this on the DVDs yet, but I recall from Youtube at one point Robert says "What do you think, Dave?" I assume he was addressing Dave Lewis?

• 1 year later...

I think Robert said that they were to old now for the running numbers.Therefore they may have choosen this title instead of ALS.One of the very less things being wrong for me

at the O2. but a pitty anywhere.

Archived