Favorite version of Listen to this Eddie

I'm still going with the "theory" that Millard sent the tape to a trading buddy (not a bootlegger) who's name was Eddie (a very common name). Millard, being impressed with the quality of his recording in a boasting/competetive manner wrote "Listen to This Eddie" on the tape and the title just stuck. Its really not that far fetched, and to me, makes the most sense.

Well, given that the poster made it up, it actually is that far fetched. The people who have spent significant portions of their time (i.e. Lewis and Pallet) researching this stuff have always mentioned that it was in reference to Van Halen. And from the comments from people who actually knew Millard, it has been widely known that a) he didn't trade out his stuff nearly as much as people think and b)he despised bootleggers. Which is why he marked his copies, and he only sent his stuff to his friends and other tapers.

No one really knows except the bootleggers themselves. But believing in something just because it makes for the best story is meaningless. There is absolutely nothing to support any connection to Millard, or some made up note that the original poster was dreaming existed. Why not say that Millard's dad was named Eddie? Or that Millard's dog was named Eddie. Or how about that Millard was a big Eddie Murphy fan, and that's what the title means. It's fiction. And this is how silly rumors get started, because someone says something that they completely made up, and then other people run with it because it "sounds good".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, given that the poster made it up, it actually is that far fetched. The people who have spent significant portions of their time (i.e. Lewis and Pallet) researching this stuff have always mentioned that it was in reference to Van Halen. And from the comments from people who actually knew Millard, it has been widely known that a) he didn't trade out his stuff nearly as much as people think and b)he despised bootleggers. Which is why he marked his copies, and he only sent his stuff to his friends and other tapers.

No one really knows except the bootleggers themselves. But believing in something just because it makes for the best story is meaningless. There is absolutely nothing to support any connection to Millard, or some made up note that the original poster was dreaming existed. Why not say that Millard's dad was named Eddie? Or that Millard's dog was named Eddie. Or how about that Millard was a big Eddie Murphy fan, and that's what the title means. It's fiction. And this is how silly rumors get started, because someone says something that they completely made up, and then other people run with it because it "sounds good".

No, the poster didn't make it up. I read this about 10 years ago, its nothing new.

"He despised bootleggers. Which is why he marked his copies, and he only sent his stuff to his friends and other tapers."

Exactly, which is why the "friend" (not dog, father, or Murphy) rumor makes sense.

"And this is how silly rumors get started, because someone says something that they completely made up, and then other people run with it because it "sounds good"."

Exactly, just like the EVH reference rumor. We could go on and on with this but its becoming a bit redundant.

Let's call it a truce.

Edited by snapper

sorry if this is a bit off topic.I went to winston remaster last nite to try and download this show.but it said i neede to download a torret application first which I did.it then took 3 hour to actually do it. But once it finnished I was not able to play or look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciatedsince I am not much of a computer guy.

thanks

sorry if this is a bit off topic.I went to winston remaster last nite to try and download this show.but it said i neede to download a torret application first which I did.it then took 3 hour to actually do it. But once it finnished I was not able to play or look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciatedsince I am not much of a computer guy.

thanks

Sounds like you cant play .FLAC files. I use winamp which can play anything but sounds like you need to get something that can or get the plugin for the player you use. Google "flac [whatever media player you use]"

Sounds like you cant play .FLAC files. I use winamp which can play anything but sounds like you need to get something that can or get the plugin for the player you use. Google "flac [whatever media player you use]"

I've got media player and it wont play

I got a box that comes up and says the selected file has an extension (.flac) that is not recognized by windows media player,but the player may still be able to play it.Because the extension is unknown by the player.

I've got media player and it wont play

I got a box that comes up and says the selected file has an extension (.flac) that is not recognized by windows media player,but the player may still be able to play it.Because the extension is unknown by the player.

This should do the trick. http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

thanks to everyone for the help.

I was able to get it using the winamp.

Dont know why my media player would not work.

Now my next ? is how do I get it on to my IPOD?

You'd have to convert it to mp3 unfortunately, ipods do not support FLAC. Heres a link for a converter: http://download.cnet.com/Magic-FLAC-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2169_4-10847284.html

A quick question about this show. Does Jimmy break a string and then changes guitars after The Song Remains The Same? Obviously he is missing at the beginning of Sick Again and I figured that was the reason. Same as two nights later, I suppose. Thanks for any info. on this. :peace:

The easiest way to do it would be to convert the files to mp3.

converted the other day and finally got it on my ipod.

I'm 42,been listening to Zep since 3rd grade,and this is the first 77 show or any boot that I have ever had.

All I have to say is WOW.

What have I been missing.

The quality is fantastic.

Any other recommendations for shows?

Thanks for the recommendation but thats basicly the same show

I'm looking for some diversity

There are many threads on the best boots but I can just name some off top that wont disappoint in quality:

4-27-69

8-31-69

10-10-69

03-07-70

09-04-70

08-31-71

05-31-73

07-17-73

02-12-75

03-05-75

03-21-75

04-27-77

05-28-77

08-04-79

There are many threads on the best boots but I can just name some off top that wont disappoint in quality:

4-27-69

8-31-69

10-10-69

03-07-70

09-04-70

08-31-71

05-31-73

07-17-73

02-12-75

03-05-75

03-21-75

04-27-77

05-28-77

08-04-79

can I get those from the winston remaster?

that 9-04-70 show is the blueberry hill show,right?

can I get those from the winston remaster?

that 9-04-70 show is the blueberry hill show,right?

Of the list EzyEric posted, there are Winston Remasters for:

09-04-70: The Great Love Affair

07-17-73: Dragon Remastered

04-27-77: Dr. Who

08-04-79: Thanks for Eleven Years

Edited by 3hrsoflunacy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...