What did Zep do to Rock music

McSeven

To all of you that love LZ. What do you think that they brought to rock music as a band? If they did not form, what do you think would be missing to rock and roll music?

I feel that LZ brought a certain type of soul and funk to rock music. There is more of a groove to the music. Where as the Stones have more of a paint by the numbers feel to thier music. They also took you away from the worlds trouble. No politics with them. As much as I like U2, sometimes I need to chill.

They brought variety and different moods. They also made you want to see them live, and they changed things up in concerts from the studio version. In an interview, Robert plant claimed to view Zep as action packed. Thats how I feel about Zep. If you have seen The Lord of the Rings triliogy. Zep brings majestsy to Rock and Roll.

Mc7

They raised the bar in popular music, as much as The Beatles and and The Stones did alot for it in the 60's, alot of it to me sounded very poppy and sometimes dare I say amateurish..Cream live added something different and of course hendrix changed electric guitar forever in his playing but Zeppelin had a quality and musicianship not really seen in rock/popular music at that time...imagine a world without Zeppelin....it doesn't bear thinking about !!!

If you have seen The Lord of the Rings triliogy. Zep brings majestsy to Rock and Roll.

Majesty is not a word you would use very often to describe rock music, is it? (Unless you're someone who thinks the beginning of The Final Countdown is majestic, hardy-har-har). I wouldn't use the LOTR analogy, but I wholeheartedly agree about the majesty they had in their best moments - and there were so incredibly many of those. In fact, I think it's one of the things that make Led Zeppelin unique in rock.

What I meant by majestecy was that there was a magic to the music. I don't think that the average rock band could do zeppelin music as wasily as the Stones. I do agree that they had a fuller sound.

They sould take you places that other bands could not.

Mc7

What I meant by majestecy was that there was a magic to the music. I don't think that the average rock band could do zeppelin music as wasily as the Stones. I do agree that they had a fuller sound.

Mc7

They revolutionized it

They brought a new sound which changed the musical landscape. You mentioned the Stones, Zeppelin's sound was much fuller and more textured than the Stones.

Hmm--listening to Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, wouldn't agree there. And all those bands making grandiose concept albums had the "majesty" thing sewn up. Actually I don't think Zeppelin did anything that other bands didn't do--they just did what they did so amazingly well!

And thus, unfortunately, what they did to rock music was to inspire a generation of bands who thought they could do it too, just by having lots of hair and turning it up to 11. :(

Hmm--listening to Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, wouldn't agree there. And all those bands making grandiose concept albums had the "majesty" thing sewn up.

I should have qualified that, and said that in general, Zeppelin was more musically bold, full and textured than the Stones. Part of that has to do with advances in recording technology, and I'm sure if the Stones began in '68 too, they would have had a fuller sound. But it's also compositional, Page is in many ways more like a classical composer than a rock musician, he layers different sounds on each other.

But it's also compositional, Page is in many ways more like a classical composer than a rock musician, he layers different sounds on each other.

Hadn't people like Phil Spector already explored that approach, though, and some of the Motown producers? As well as some of the other 60s bands, and people like Brian Wilson? (My point just being that Zeppelin weren't necessarily in the vanguard of anything in particular, they were just so good at everything.)

Part of that has to do with advances in recording technology, and I'm sure if the Stones began in '68 too, they would have had a fuller sound.

By 1968,they did have a fuller sound,partially due to advances in technology,but more due to the abilities of their producer at the time, Jimmy Miller.

As far as them not breaking any musical ground;they did break new ground by taking things in a different direction.....they stayed closer to the roots of the music than Zeppelin did,but to say they did nothing more than "paint by numbers" (black?) is misleading.

That's your opinion,that's what they did for you.I personally,can say the same thing about the Rolling Stones.They've taken me to places that other bands can't,not even Zeppelin.

Archived