More bad times ahead

I have got a horsey

If they did, the tribes wouldn't be fighting them would they?

It's not as simplistic as that. You don't know what the level of animosity is towards the established government. Pakistan has always been more pro-Taliban than most other countries, and it's difficult to gauge exactly the level of sympathy that exists for them.

Don't forget that despite its genteel English imperialist past and influences, Pakistan is definately sympathetic to hardline Islamic orthodoxy. It wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Taliban succeding in Pakistan as opposed to other muslim countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Kuwait

It's not as simplistic as that. You don't know what the level of animosity is towards the established government. Pakistan has always been more pro-Taliban than most other countries, and it's difficult to gauge exactly the level of sympathy that exists for them.
Neither do you

Also, Pakistan has been more anti-terrorist than most other countries...just throwing that out there.

Don't forget that despite its genteel English imperialist past and influences, Pakistan is definately sympathetic to hardline Islamic orthodoxy. It wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Taliban succeding in Pakistan as opposed to other muslim countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Kuwait

You think India will allow Al-Qaeda or the Taliban or any other Islamic Fundamentalist group get control of Pakistan and it's nukes? Gimme a break

Edited by wanna be drummer

We've been fighting the Taliban for 7 years in Afghanistan, and they're still not gone.

You know it takes time to kill all those cockroaches (hmm, that sounds like Radio Rwanda during the genocide).

The human race is better off with each Taliban asshole that is snuffed out. They're just the SS with headscarves.

B)

No, but that's the gist of it.

Oh contrare.

WASHINGTON--John McCain is going after Joe Biden on Tuesday for remarks Biden made Sunday at a Seattle fund-raiser about how Barack Obama, 47, will be tested by "the world" to see if he is tough enough. This off message message from Biden came during a long discussion about Obama. Click for the pool report with the entire transcript.

Lynn: here's that pool report -- notice that this comment is setting up his description of why Obama is the guy to deal with tough times:

Full story here: http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/10/jo...und_raiser.html

However I look at it there will be bad times ahead. But exactly who was in office when the market nearly collapsed? Who keeps outsourcing jobs? Who deregulated banks and gave Wall Street a free pass to thieve and lie without recourse.

However you look at it The McCain/Palin ticket will have to kiss every ass in China that they sold us out to in order to keep from being deported and or arrested. It should come to it's fruition, and don't be surprised if "W" pardons any type of recourse against him and others before he leaves office.

Easy enough for anyone to see.

Well, perhaps not anyone :D

I think Barack Obama said it all when he told Joe the Plumber he wants to "spread the wealth around."

That is code for raising taxes and taking more and more of your hard-earned money and putting it into liberal government programs.

Where did you get that decoder ring. I sure would like to own one of those.

A. Cracker Jacks

B. Telepathy

However I look at it there will be bad times ahead. But exactly who was in office when the market nearly collapsed? Who keeps outsourcing jobs? Who deregulated banks and gave Wall Street a free pass to thieve and lie without recourse.

However you look at it The McCain/Palin ticket will have to kiss every ass in China that they sold us out to in order to keep from being deported and or arrested. It should come to it's fruition, and don't be surprised if "W" pardons any type of recourse against him and others before he leaves office.

Yeah, Bush dicked it up alright. NO question about it.

Problem is, thanks to Bush everyone is stereotyping ALL Republicans as Bush clones. And everyone thinks the far opposite is going to save the country.

Bullshit. <_<

With that said, I'm not happy with either choice. I'm voting independent.

Hi all,

However I look at it there will be bad times ahead. But exactly who was in office when the market nearly collapsed?

Or when the market went above 12,000 points? :blink:

Or when some GOP/Dem members wanted to regulate Fred/Fanny in 2005 and it was stuck down by,guess who?Not W,...

Who keeps outsourcing jobs?

Business,around the world.Who told the they could not?

Who deregulated banks and gave Wall Street a free pass to thieve and lie without recourse.

Here your politicians!Around the whole world.Warm and fuzzy does not come to mind.

However you look at it The McCain/Palin ticket will have to kiss every ass in China that they sold us out to in order to keep from being deported and or arrested.

Who the hell you think nations are borrowing from? :rolleyes:

It should come to it's fruition, and don't be surprised if "W" pardons any type of recourse against him and others before he leaves office.

Every President pardons many people when they leave office:

Pardons

Not with your eyes closed,...

I am not going to vote for either,nor a 3rd party candidate.Blah!Damn the mob!

I will not vote,in state(MA) any incumbent,and we have several questions that need attention.

KB

A friend at work was talking about how much money she lost in her retirment fund when she received her last statement the other day. She is close to fifty and would probably like to be retired by age sixty-five. She said with the amount of money she lost in her 401 since the last statement, she could have taken a trip around the world with her immediate family, and then stayed at Disneyworld in the nicest accommodations for two months. Pretty horrifying to see so much you have worked for the last twenty years gone in a blink of an eye. What a disgrace.

A friend at work was talking about how much money she lost in her retirment fund when she received her last statement the other day. She is close to fifty and would probably like to be retired by age sixty-five. She said with the amount of money she lost in her 401 since the last statement, she could have taken a trip around the world with her immediate family, and then stayed at Disneyworld in the nicest accommodations for two months. Pretty horrifying to see so much you have worked for the last twenty years gone in a blink of an eye. What a disgrace.

She is partly at fault for not managing her funds. Most 401K programs have some lower risk options (some like Mass Mutual have guaranteed return options, albeit low 3-4%), and she should have reacted to the many warning signs that have been blasted through the media over the past year and moved her money into a safer option.

Too many people sign up and just let these things ride and end up being disappointed in the end.

She is partly at fault for not managing her funds. Most 401K programs have some lower risk options (some like Mass Mutual have guaranteed return options, albeit low 3-4%), and she should have reacted to the many warning signs that have been blasted through the media over the past year and moved her money into a safer option.

Too many people sign up and just let these things ride and end up being disappointed in the end.

Where i work, you can make your own choices, or (what many people choose) your plan is figured out according to your age/anticpated year of retirement. The funds are divided up in the safest way, more aggressive for those who are younger, and less aggressive as you get closer to retirement. Vanguard is the main financial institution my workplace uses for our 401K. Most people are not financially knowledgeable and they shouldn't have to be when so called "experts" are taking the guess work out of your retirement, which is what Vanguard did for my workplace. This should not have happened. Don't blame the citizens for a deregulated system that allowed Financial Consultants etc...to rob us and the current Administration to miss what was happening.

I noticed a 30% decrease in my funds this quarter as compared to the last...it sucks and we should not have to suffer. It's bad enough Social Security is ruined, now you can't even have a safe retirement that you work so hard for....???

my guess is she lost close to $100, 000 in her 30 years (correction from my last post when i said 20 years) of "hard" work.

Where i work, you can make your own choices, or (what many people choose) your plan is figured out according to your age/anticpated year of retirement. The funds are divided up in the safest way, more aggressive for those who are younger, and less aggressive as you get closer to retirement. Vanguard is the main financial institution my workplace uses for our 401K. Most people are not financially knowledgeable and they shouldn't have to be when so called "experts" are taking the guess work out of your retirement, which is what Vanguard did for my workplace. This should not have happened. Don't blame the citizens for a deregulated system that allowed Financial Consultants etc...to rob us and the current Administration to miss what was happening.

I noticed a 30% decrease in my funds this quarter as compared to the last...it sucks and we should not have to suffer. It's bad enough Social Security is ruined, now you can't even have a safe retirement that you work so hard for....???

my guess is she lost close to $100, 000 in her 30 years (correction from my last post when i said 20 years) of "hard" work.

It's too bad she lost the money, and I mean that sincerely. Your argument is that the system allowed this to happen. That, I don't buy. Obviously some workplaces have better programs than others, but I have never heard of a 401K program where the employee cannot make the investment decisions on their own, or change the investments. Now, I have a degree in quantitative economics, so my view may be slightly biased when it comes to money; but the discussion of retirement funds and programs comes up a lot in the people I associate with. Everyone has a responsibility to manage their money, whether it's balancing their checkbook, household budgeting, etc. Does this person not check her credit? Or does she assume everything is hunky dory? (sp?) Money for today and money for tomorrow is still money. It has to be managed and looked after. Blaming the system is wrong, because no matter what it is, the system will somehow be fucked up in some way for some people.

Edited by shnflacwav

It's too bad she lost the money, and I mean that sincerely. Your argument is that the system allowed this to happen. That, I don't buy. Obviously some workplaces have better programs than others, but I have never heard of a 401K program where the employee cannot make the investment decisions on their own, or change the investments. Now, I have a degree in quantitative economics, so my view may be slightly biased when it comes to money; but the discussion of retirement funds and programs comes up a lot in the people I associate with. Everyone has a responsibility to manage their money, whether it's balancing their checkbook, household budgeting, etc. Does this person not check her credit? Or does she assume everything is hunky dory? (sp?) Money for today and money for tomorrow is still money. It has to be managed and looked after. Blaming the system is wrong, because no matter what it is, the system will somehow be fucked up in some way for some people.

My company offers a plan with either Vanguard or TIAA Cref. If you pick Vanguard you have the option to make up your own portfolio, or go with a portfolio that is already balanced and aimed at your retirement age. The percentages of each type of fund in your portfolio changes from more aggressive for younger investors to less as you get closer to retirement age. AFAIC, while you might not always makes huge profits, you should not lose a huge chunk of your last 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 years of savings in the way that many Americans have. It's a disgrace. This is supposed to be a safe way to invest for retirement. It's the fault of the stockmarket/economy crash. When a hard working person puts the maximum amount allowed by a retirement plan (6%) of their pay each week, they don't expect to lose it years down the line. There are many crooks on Wall Street, and they have been allowed to run free (since at least the Reagan years) and it has finally caught up with our country, and mostly the "common" person.