The 1977 Tour Revisited

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated! Just a reminder, if you're anywhere near Southern CA/Ventura County, our second performance of this show is tomorrow night! Check Upcoming Gigs of our website in my sig for details.

original post deleted.

Love,

Billy

STEVE HOW-ABOUT COMMING TO SACREMENTO!!!!

Hey, we'll be up there on Jan 10, at the Powerhouse Pub in Folsom. We go up there often. It's not one of our 1977 shows, as it's just a bar and we can't do the full production in there, but it's a fun little place and we always have great shows there. Come on out to it if you can!

• 1 month later...

Our next performance of this show has just been added:

Fri, Feb 6 at the House of Blues in Anaheim, CA

As this venue is located in Downtown Disney, it's open to all ages, and is very safe!

Tickets on sale this Sat, Jan 17.

Hope some of you Orange County folks can make it!

Hey all,

We're starting up a very special show that will hopefully tour a bit more around the country than what we've been able to do so far. As I actually got to see this tour myself, this is especially near & dear to me. Those in Southern CA, I hope you can make one of our initial 2 shows.

1977revisited.jpg

On April 1, 1977, Led Zeppelin embarked on their biggest tour yet of the United States, setting attendance records and quickly becoming the hottest ticket of the year. Their show in Pontiac, Michigan, played to an astounding 76,229 people, beating their own record of 56,800 for the biggest ever attendance for a single act, that they set in 1973! A total of 44 dates were played, including massive 6-night runs at New York’s Madison Square Garden and the Forum in Los Angeles. The tour came to a tragic end in July after the death of Robert Plant’s 5 year old son, and the remainder of the shows were cancelled. It would be the last US performances the band would ever play.

Now Led Zepagain brings Led Zeppelin’s 1977 United States of America Tour to the stage once again! The complete set list, equipment and costumes are re-created in spectacular detail, giving concert-goers of all ages the chance to re-live those amazing shows! All the greatest hits, from Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir and Rock & Roll, as well as fan favorites like Since I’ve Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand are performed exactly as Led Zeppelin did them 30 years ago! In addition to the music, Led Zepagain features stage effects of the 1977 shows such as lasers and fog, plus updated lighting, video screens and more to create a complete multi-media experience.

First 2 dates:

Oct 17 - House of Blues - San Diego, CA

Nov 22 - Oceanview Pavilion - Port Hueneme, CA

There will be more of these to come!

Our complete schedule, as always, at ZEPAGAIN.COM

Having seen Zeppelin in '77 in 3 different cities, I can say that besides ALS, Kashmir was the loudest piece performed in their set. The transition from Page sitting on a stool soloing into Kashmir, was very, very dramatic. The Green Laser Pyramid was used to great dramatic effect.

I was forutnate that on two of night that I saw Led Zeppelin in 1977, they were in Top Form.... Wonderful shows (Ft. Worth & Houston)....The Dallas show wasn't awful.... it was the first show of the tour after the postponment of the Feb. 28 start date of Ft. Worth, and they were a little rusty for that one...

I wonder someday if there will be a "Led Zeppelin Show" touring the world, as is done for Pink Floyd's music, with the Austailian Pink Floyd Show.

Groupies Not Included..

I wonder someday if there will be a "Led Zeppelin Show" touring the world, as is done for Pink Floyd's music, with the Austailian Pink Floyd Show.

Groupies Not Included..

We're working on it... (not the groupies) B)

Very cool you saw the 3 '77 shows. I only got to see one, and it was daytime (Oakland), so no laser pyramid!

Here are 2 videos from our San Diego show. It's just a static long shot, as that's all that the HoB would clear, but you can get an idea of what it was like.

ACHILLES LAST STAND

BOW SOLO

And yeah, I messed up and didn't have my delay pedal on that first "hit" on the bow solo! :slapface: Oh well...

Wow! Great job on Achilles Steve! You totally nailed the solo! You have to bring this show to Kansas City! Any chance of that? I saw Zep in St. Louis in 77', so it would be great to see a recreation of that tour and clearly you guys have the chops Good luck in 09'.

Rock on,

phthah

It seems you play everywhere but the Bay Area. What's wrong with San Francisco?

Nothing at all! As you can see from my post right above yours, I'm FROM the Bay Area. But for whatever reason, we've had a tough time getting booked for shows there. Let's hope that changes this year!

Wow! Great job on Achilles Steve! You totally nailed the solo! You have to bring this show to Kansas City! Any chance of that? I saw Zep in St. Louis in 77', so it would be great to see a recreation of that tour and clearly you guys have the chops Good luck in 09'.

Rock on,

phthah

Thanks, appreciate it!

There's always a chance of us going anywhere! We're trying to get backing for a tour this year, so we'll see how it goes. Sometimes we'll get contacted out of the blue to fly out somewhere & play, so you never know.

And we just added another Southern CA 1977 show, Mar 21 at the Hollywood House of Blues!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give this a bump and a reminder, our next performance of this show is this Fri, Feb 6, at the House of Blues, Anaheim, and it's open to all ages. Hope some of you in SoCal can make it!

Hey all,

We're starting up a very special show that will hopefully tour a bit more around the country than what we've been able to do so far. As I actually got to see this tour myself, this is especially near & dear to me.

1977revisited.jpg

On April 1, 1977, Led Zeppelin embarked on their biggest tour yet of the United States, setting attendance records and quickly becoming the hottest ticket of the year. Their show in Pontiac, Michigan, played to an astounding 76,229 people, beating their own record of 56,800 for the biggest ever attendance for a single act, that they set in 1973! A total of 44 dates were played, including massive 6-night runs at New York’s Madison Square Garden and the Forum in Los Angeles. The tour came to a tragic end in July after the death of Robert Plant’s 5 year old son, and the remainder of the shows were cancelled. It would be the last US performances the band would ever play.

Now Led Zepagain brings Led Zeppelin’s 1977 United States of America Tour to the stage once again! The complete set list, equipment and costumes are re-created in spectacular detail, giving concert-goers of all ages the chance to re-live those amazing shows! All the greatest hits, from Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir and Rock & Roll, as well as fan favorites like Since I’ve Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand are performed exactly as Led Zeppelin did them 30 years ago! In addition to the music, Led Zepagain features stage effects of the 1977 shows such as lasers and fog, plus updated lighting, video screens and more to create a complete multi-media experience.

Great story, Ron! I was luck and got to see them in 1977 too, at the first Oakland show, but wasn't close enough for them to hear me! But I did get to tell Jimmy I saw that show, when he came to see us in 2004, and see his eyes light up as he said, "Those were some wild times back then!" B)

And thanks, hope you enjoy the show on the 22nd! That's not one of our 1977 shows, but we will be doing the entire Led Zep IV album, as part of our set, and then Which One's Pink will be doing the complete Dark Side of the Moon. We'll be borrowing their "Great Gig in the Sky" singer to do Battle of Evermore with us, so it should be a really cool night!

On another note, we recently did a show with 5 tribute bands for ABC TV, which will be shown soon on Good Morning America. I'll post the details as soon as we find out when. Here's a shot of me from that event, in my new 1977 Jimmy suit! Check out the complete gallery of pics of all the bands at DIRKBAG.COM

l_32f8229575b06314d5b66571657a645b.jpg

Photo by dirkbag.com

OMG!!! Jimmy actually came and saw you guys in 2004?!?? How cool is THAT?! How did this happen to come about? And what was some of the rest of any conversation you had with him?

Just curious...thanks so much!! :)

Sharon

Just wanted to give this a bump and a reminder, our next performance of this show is this Fri, Feb 6, at the House of Blues, Anaheim, and it's open to all ages. Hope some of you in SoCal can make it!

I do have to correct you in that quote...when Led Zep broke the record for attendance at the Silverdome in 1977, they broke the record set by The Who from 1975 in the same venue...Zeppelin played to roughly 1000 more people there in 1977 than The Who did in 1975...it was The Who that broke the Zeppelin record from 1973 with the '75 Silverdome show...obviously the mantle was reclaimed by Zep 2 years later!

As a huge fan of both bands, I just wanted to clear that up!

I do have to correct you in that quote...when Led Zep broke the record for attendance at the Silverdome in 1977, they broke the record set by The Who from 1975 in the same venue...Zeppelin played to roughly 1000 more people there in 1977 than The Who did in 1975...it was The Who that broke the Zeppelin record from 1973 with the '75 Silverdome show...obviously the mantle was reclaimed by Zep 2 years later!

As a huge fan of both bands, I just wanted to clear that up!

Ah, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I believe I got the figures from Dave Lewis' Concert Files book. Do you know of any sources that give The Who's figures?

And Sharon, we've got a whole section about Jimmy's visit to us on our website, HERE. Needless to say, quite the highlight for the band, and for my life in general! :D

Ah, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I believe I got the figures from Dave Lewis' Concert Files book. Do you know of any sources that give The Who's figures?

And Sharon, we've got a whole section about Jimmy's visit to us on our website, HERE. Needless to say, quite the highlight for the band, and for my life in general! :D

Hi Steve--

just got done reading your account of the night with JP--WOW!!!!!!!!!! How VERY cool! I am glad you wrote everything in such detail...boy, did I ever get to live vicariously through you thanks to your wonderful account of the evening. I have NO idea how you managed to remain calm and keep playing once you got the note "Page in the house"...i'd have just fallen over in a dead faint on stage. LOL!! :) I am happy (and jealous!! :) ) for you to have had such a once in a lifetime experience!!

Sharon

Steve, I have this in a book that is buried in a box in my garage somewhere, but here it is from Wikipedia (reliable, I know :D )...but these are pretty accurate:

"Another notable audience attendance record had earlier been broken on April 30, 1977, when English rock band Led Zeppelin played in front of 76,229 fans at the Silverdome. This was at the time a new world record attendance for a solo indoor attraction, beating the 75,962 that The Who attracted there in December 1975."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Silverdome

• 1 month later...

Our next performance of this show is Sat, Mar 21 at the Hollywood House of Blues.

We're expecting a VERY special guest to check out the show, and if we can twist his arm, maybe sit in with us. I can't say more at this point, so don't ask! But if you're in the Southern CA area, don't miss it!

Here's a few pics from the Anaheim show on Feb 6, courtesy of dirkbag.com:

l_ca9c6e63f82e4207852e2b2b7ce87fe9.jpg

l_1785faff86294937ba683a86689f829a.jpg

l_aaf7f77e06e74f4893d527cb9433a4ef.jpg

l_2b65981ac3cc48e79e15f05bb9e80c6e.jpg

l_7e12857799c74787a880183d9c0085d4.jpg

Thanks, guys! With a little luck, we'll be able to make it out to the east coast next year, keep your fingers crossed... Dave, hope your friend can make it to our SD show this Fri! Glad he liked the one he saw. B)

You better come to NC!

Archived