FIRST EVER LED ZEPPELIN REHEARSAL

boogie23

Does anybody remember when and where Led Zeppelin did their first rehearsal ? I remember it was the summer of 1968 in a London studio in Gerrard street, but which day and which was the complete address? Thanks

August 12th, 1968

Gerrad Street 39, London.

• 6 months later...

Anyone know for definite whether it's 39 Gerrard Street, or no. 22, as this blog suggests?

http://londonsmusiclandmarks.blogspot.com/...-rehearsal.html

also:

http://oldies.about.com/od/oldieshistory/a/august12.htm

Everyone insists it's no. 39, but the basement for this site (Ronnie Scott's, till 1965) was quite large, and interviews with members of Zeppelin insist the rehearsal room was tiny.

We are told the rehearsal was under a record store, so the questions are:

-What was Ronnie Scott's site (no. 39) used for after 1965, and what business was at no. 22.

Google searches throwing no light.

Steve - sorry, the search engine on this website is unable to show which of the 123 pages of your Zeppelin mysteries thread this is discussed in!

Anyone know for definite whether it's 39 Gerrard Street, or no. 22, as this blog suggests?

http://londonsmusiclandmarks.blogspot.com/...-rehearsal.html

also:

http://oldies.about.com/od/oldieshistory/a/august12.htm

Everyone insists it's no. 39, but the basement for this site (Ronnie Scott's, till 1965) was quite large, and interviews with members of Zeppelin insist the rehearsal room was tiny.

We are told the rehearsal was under a record store, so the questions are:

-What was Ronnie Scott's site (no. 39) used for after 1965, and what business was at no. 22.

Google searches throwing no light.

Steve - sorry, the search engine on this website is unable to show which of the 123 pages of your Zeppelin mysteries thread this is discussed in!

Not sure about "we are told the rehearsal was under a record store". Who said it was a basement room?

Not sure about "we are told the rehearsal was under a record store". Who said it was a basement room?

It's a fairly safe bet that if there was a record store there, it would have been on the ground floor, and the rehearsal room in the basement.

Wikipedia (never 100% accurate, as any fool can edit it) states:

A basement in Gerrard Street was the location of the first ever rehearsal of Led Zeppelin in 1968, where they played "Train Kept a Rollin". The exact location of the basement is unknown, and is believed to have been converted into a business premises many years ago.

Reason for my interest is that I'm showing a few friends around Soho later this week, and would like to be fairly certain.

Also visiting the second Marquee on Wardour Street, where Zeppelin played their second UK gig, as well as some Jimi Hendrix sites in the area.

First song they played together was by North East band Skip Bifferty.

Hi Knebby! :wave: I never knew that - I always thought it was "Train". Do you know the title of the song, by any chance?

Thanks!

I hope the food was good. So what did you have? The California Rock and Roll or perhaps some Teriyaki Boogie With Beef Stu.

How's it going "SuperDave?" I thought it was Custard Pie in the light down by the seaside and got sick again in the evening at the houses of the holy near Kashmir and was nobody's fault but mine! ROCK ON!

Wikipedia (never 100% accurate, as any fool can edit it) states:

Thats not neccesary true. Wikipedia isn't like that anymore. People used to go on and edit the info but not they have moderators and what not check the pages on the site to make sure the information is accuate. If you don't believe me, take a look at Stephen Colbert, a very funny man and on The Colbert Report. He tried to change information on Wikipedia about Elephants and George Bush and was banned from Wikipedia and I think he still is.

Sorry everyone that's offtopic.

All I know about Zeppelin's first rehearsal is that they played "Train-Kept-A-Rollin'" and Jones was the only one that didn't know it so Page told him it was G to A and off they went.

Thats not neccesary true. Wikipedia isn't like that anymore. People used to go on and edit the info but not they have moderators and what not check the pages on the site to make sure the information is accuate. If you don't believe me, take a look at Stephen Colbert, a very funny man and on The Colbert Report. He tried to change information on Wikipedia about Elephants and George Bush and was banned from Wikipedia and I think he still is.

Sorry everyone that's offtopic.

All I know about Zeppelin's first rehearsal is that they played "Train-Kept-A-Rollin'" and Jones was the only one that didn't know it so Page told him it was G to A and off they went.

Quickly, so you don't notice I'm being offtopic too, yes Wiki is still like that. They might have moderators but they don't have to have any specific qualifications and the people who supply the info don't either. On any given day and topic you can find a whole bunch of inaccurate information on there--as well as information that IS accurate, the point being how are you supposed to know which is which?

Case in point--apparently they and everyone else were wrong about "Train Kept a-Rollin'."

Archived