Has any Led Zeppelin Member Inspired you Musically?

Rocked01

97 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been inspired by Led Zeppelin?

• I've been inspired by Jimmy Page.
    • I've been inspired by John Paul Jones.
    • I've been inspired by Robert Plant.
    • I've been inspired by John Bonham.
    • No, I haven't been musically inspired by any Led Zeppelin members.

Has Jimmy Page inspired you to play guitar or get your first Les Paul, Double-Neck etc.? Has John Bonham inspired you to play drums? Are you a bassist or keyboardist because of John Paul Jones? Do you sing or play harmonica because of Robert Plant? Or is there more than one? Feel free to reply!

I played harmonica long before I knew Robert. :D

I once tried to play some Zep stuff on a chinese traditional instrument of mine... but it came out to be a bit weird. LOL so I gave up.

I bet that's the sort of stuff Robert would be fascinated by, though! Jimmy too, probably.

I bet that's the sort of stuff Robert would be fascinated by, though! Jimmy too, probably.

I've thought so, too.

The instrument I tried is called Pipa, also called the chinese lute, with four strings.

Instrument_Pipa.JPG

I've seen ppl play Pipa songs on guitar, and maybe I'll try it again when I go back home. :( It's a real shame that I haven't brought my instruments with me.

What a beautiful instrument! I've never seen one like that, with four strings, before--but then the Chinese musical scale is completely different, isn't it? I'd love to hear what it sounds like--is it anything like an oud? (I'm thinking, after listening to what Justin Adams does on songs like Hey Joe on Dreamland, that there must be Zeppelin songs that could be adapted to fit it--the one that always comes to mind is Kashmir, but maybe not in this case!)

What a beautiful instrument! I've never seen one like that, with four strings, before--but then the Chinese musical scale is completely different, isn't it? I'd love to hear what it sounds like--is it anything like an oud? (I'm thinking, after listening to what Justin Adams does on songs like Hey Joe on Dreamland, that there must be Zeppelin songs that could be adapted to fit it--the one that always comes to mind is Kashmir, but maybe not in this case!)

Yes, you can say it sounds a bit like an oud, but I think Pipa playing is usually faster and more powerful.

Here's a link from youtube of Liu Dehai playing a classic Pipa piece, though the quality of the video is not that superb but I really love it. He is one of the greatest Pipa masters I know and had also worked with western musicians. I've always wondered what would come out if he and Jimmy could have a jam :o

I love the sound of that--and I was really surprised to see he plays it holding it vertically. :o Not what we're used to with the guitar, I guess--but I can imagine he and Jimmy could come up with a really creative collaboration! Thanks for the link. :)

LOL, yes we play Pipa vertically and that's why ppl can only play it while sitting. So no cool stage moves :P

I always think music like that must have been very rock-ish in ancient China. So glad you enjoyed it.

Percy has kind of inspired me to sing the way I sing nowadays (Before that I was in a death metal band, but that's ages ago)

This is a link to a demo for the song "Cosmic Caravan".....hence the not so perfect quality,

(it's got even some theremin playin' in it....just couldn't resist)

Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/156181785/Cosmic_Caravan204.wav

Guess why my dad worked eight weeks in his holidays as a student to afford a double neck Ibanez...

Guess why I play open tunings...

Guess why I play the Blues on my Les Paul...

Guess why I even learned how to play the mandolin...

ALL BECAUSE OF JIMMY!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say all of them. I guess I would say Pagey the most though because I'm a guitarist and when I heard the solo in WLL, I started playing. And Bonzo made me wanna play drums even though I'm not as serious on drums. And JPJ made me play bass and I learned NQ when I had absolutely no piano experience because of him. And I would say Plant too but I can't sing or play harmonica for my life! haha

Guess why my dad worked eight weeks in his holidays as a student to afford a double neck Ibanez...

Guess why I play open tunings...

Guess why I play the Blues on my Les Paul...

Guess why I even learned how to play the mandolin...

ALL BECAUSE OF JIMMY!!! :D

John Paul Jones played mandolin! :D :D

And it was a double neck Gibson Guitar! :D :D

• 5 weeks later...

Jimmy Page. I've been inspired by Jimmy Page. We have very similar technique. Actually I took techniques from my favorite guitar players, added something mine and made my technique. I'm not trying to copy anyone. Most of my technique is Jimmy Page's.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived