Rockers in the armed forces

danelectro59

We all know that Elvis did his two years in Germany and Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st Airborne, but who else served their country in the military and is/was a rock star?

I believe Artimus Pyle, former drummer of Skynard was a marine who did a tour of duty in Vietnam, but others i'm not sure of.

We all know that Elvis did his two years in Germany and Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st Airborne, but who else served their country in the military and is/was a rock star?

I believe Artimus Pyle, former drummer of Skynard was a marine who did a tour of duty in Vietnam, but others i'm not sure of.

It's Skynyrd...just saying. :)

I don't know of any...ususally rockers are lovers, not fighters...

MUSICIANS WHO SERVED IN THE MILITARY

* Ian Astbury (about a month)

* Johnny Cash

* Billy Cobham

* John Coltrane

* Jerry Garcia

* Franky Gee

* Jimi Hendrix

* Ice-T

* Maynard James Keenan of Tool

* Kris Kristofferson

* Mystikal

* Elvis Presley

* Lou Rawls

* Normie Rowe

* Barry Sadler

* Shaggy

* Grover Washington, Jr.

* Carl Weathersby

Frank Cavanagh was the bassist of American industrial rock group Filter from 1995 until 2002. He was also featured on Outface studio album Friendly Green in 1996.

He joined the US Military in 2002, and is currently a sergeant serving in Iraq.

On March 7th 2008, it was announced that Frank Cavanagh had reunited with Filter and would play as a live member at the operation myspace concert in Kuwait. It was confirmed at Operation MySpace that he will not be joining Filter on the full tour as he will be shipping off to Iraq in April. The only song played live during the March 10th performance by Cavanagh, now a Sergeant and Paralegal in the U.S. Army Reserve, was the band's first mainstream hit, "Hey, Man, Nice Shot".

Although he has left the band, Richard Patrick left open the possibility of Cavanagh rejoining Filter.

Edited by The Rover

Rockers with Military Parents.... there are many, no doubt.....

But here is an interseting connection, the band America:

Gerry Beckley, Dewey Bunnell, and Dan Peek.

Sons of American fathers and British mothers, their fathers being military personnel stationed at the United States Air Force installation at RAF West Ruislip, London, all three attended London Central High School, at High Wycombe in the mid-1960s where they met while playing in two different bands.

MUSICIANS WHO SERVED IN THE MILITARY

* Normie Rowe

wow...

You included Normie Rowe on that list?

Normie Rowe can't even get 20 people to watch him at the Pine Rivers Bowls Club these days...

I know 60's Cover bands that do Normie Rowe songs that earn more money than he does, it's hysterical

Edited by I have got a horsey

Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones served a couple years in the Royal Air Force.

He was a victim of National Service, or conscription, which was required for all able bodied British lads until it ended on 31 Dec. 1960. Most of the 60's rockers were lucky to be too young. Bill wasn't.

In the UK, the end of National Service coincided with the rise of Pop culture, and the dawn of Beatlemania from around Christmas 1963. There was much public discussion at the time about "falling standards" and "long hair" as worn by The Beatles, the The Rolling Stones, and others. This controversy was epitomised in a satirical Pop Music recording Call up the Groups made by The Barron Knights, released in 1964, which suggested that such Pop Groups should be sent back on National Service to tame their wild ways. The song satirised recent Pop hits by, The Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, The Rolling Stones, The Bachelors, The Dave Clark Five and The Beatles.

[edit]

Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones served a couple years in the Royal Air Force.

Being a life long fan, I read several biographies on the webb. Some say he was in the Royal Navy. What bothers me most is they say his debut album was released in 1976 but I still have on vinyl this 1974 recording.

What is true? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill-Wyman-Monkey-Grip-81831.jpg

edited for spelling

Edited by L 7

Being a life long fan, I read several biographies on the webb. Some say he was in the Royal Navy. What bothers me most is they say his debut album was relased in 1976 but I still have on vinyl this 1974 recording.

What is true? Inquiring minds want to know.

billwymanmonkeygrip8183em6.th.jpg

I have that album, and bought it when it first came out in 1974.

I have that album, and bought it when it first came out in 1974.

Why thankie there Mr. Action Rocker.

Too bad my turntable aka scratcher won`t fit a reciever anymore.

Now I have that song stuck in my head.

Good `ole monkey grip monkey grip

monkey grip monkey grip

monkey grip glue

edited for syntax

Edited by L 7

Why thankie there Mr. Action Rocker.

Too bad my turntable aka scratcher won`t fit a reciever anymore.

Now I have that song stuck in my head.

Good `ole monkey grip monkey grip

monkey grip monkey grip

monkey grip glue

edited for syntax

I always dug that song "What A Blow"... :D

And "Pussy" is hilarious! :lol: