Top 5 bootlegs

k5ymo

PERHAPS LED ZEPPELIN DID THEIR BEST SHOWS IN THE WEST COAST... DO YOU REMEMBER HOW THE WEST WAS WONE???? JAJAJA :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

DOO LUCK B)

Yes indeed it was and in a very positive and exhilarating way. The scene on the coast was also good for the band. That's why when they played Long Beach, the tempo during the show was faster as they had a good drive to get to L.A. In other words, they had some crucial partying to do.

:beer::rollin::party::drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite 5 in no order:

Los Angeles 6/25/1972

Osaka 9/29/1971

New York 9/19/1970 (evening show)

San Francisco 4/27/1969

Hamburg 3/21/1973

These have been pretty solid choices over the years. I've been listening to the Osaka and San Francisco shows for over 20 years now - still great stuff!

My favorite 5 in no order:

Los Angeles 6/25/1972

Osaka 9/29/1971

New York 9/19/1970 (evening show)

San Francisco 4/27/1969

Hamburg 3/21/1973

These have been pretty solid choices over the years. I've been listening to the Osaka and San Francisco shows for over 20 years now - still great stuff!

Ram, It's nice to see you on the board. Hopefully more members of the former forum find their way back too.

• 2 months later...
Hey...just wondering, what our top five bootlegs are?

Me, I only have 5 and others are really hard to come across in Oz!!

Mine:

LA '75

LA '77

Earls Court '75

Knebworth '79

Texas Pop Festival '69

Regards from a hot and humid Perth, Western Australia

These are faves from when I collected tapes in the 80's.

4/25/69

3/24/73

6/2/73

6/23/77

9/4/70

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where are you all getting quality bootlegs? don't answer that! I can only go with one.

Badgeholders.

This is because every bootleg I got, the recording quality was terrible.

On my "listen Eddie" recording, the volume cannot be turned up. On my "Destroyer" copy, the mixing is terrible and on part of Kashmir and STH there is no Jimmy Page. Bad luck I know, but i've stopped looking for bootlegs because I've always gotten burned.

On a side note, alot of folks have trashed the 1977 tour, yet most of you put the Eddie bootleg on your list. Interesting.

Take Care

Where are you all getting quality bootlegs? don't answer that! I can only go with one.

Badgeholders.

This is because every bootleg I got, the recording quality was terrible.

On my "listen Eddie" recording, the volume cannot be turned up. On my "Destroyer" copy, the mixing is terrible and on part of Kashmir and STH there is no Jimmy Page. Bad luck I know, but i've stopped looking for bootlegs because I've always gotten burned.

On a side note, alot of folks have trashed the 1977 tour, yet most of you put the Eddie bootleg on your list. Interesting.

Take Care

Sounds like you need both a better listening setup and more bootlegs. Get at least one soundboard from every year. As for getting them, torrents.

On the Destroyer Page's guitar dropout is present on all versions.

And if you really feel burned, don't buy them, find them!, fan productions, when available are usually a lot better than labels. And if you're still gonna buy bootlegs, buy from reputed labels, like EV, TDOLZ or Tara.

There are several excellent soundboards from '75 - Nassau Coliseum 2/14/75 is amazing - and '77, the Copenhagen warmups in '79 are as good as it gets for audience recordings. I have over 450 titles from over 300 shows and though I haven't listened to even a quarter of them yet I have heard at least 75 that are good or better. Very few are perfect even the best ones will have a glitch or two but remember how and when these were recorded. There are some very talented people who create a matrix of the best part of several sources from some shows which correct some of the defects. And some titles are cleaned up - noise removal, EQ, tape speed correction etc. And just because the recording quality is lacking doesn't mean you can't have an enjoyable listening experience. Seattle 6/19/72 is a mediocre recording but the show is so great it makes up for the low quality recording. Everything I have were either downloaded free from trading websites or acquired from audio vines - no laws broken or money changed hands. The trading sites are easy to find and I had a lot of fun discovering, downloading and listening to the shows. So pop up Google, do a little digging and have fun discovering all those wonderful concerts you missed.

As far as the '77 tour it wasn't all bad. There were some great shows. They just weren't as consistently good as in previous tours.

A long time ago, a record store was auctioning bootlegs (1983?). I picked up Destroyer when it was a 4 album vinyl set for seventy-five dollars. I was so disapointed. Songs were split up and whole sections were missing. :slapface: If I remember correctly, it did have Jimmy playing the Star Spangled Banner, ok, so I paid 75 bucks for a great solo! :D

Technology has changed, so I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks alot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hampton Yards

Going To California

Dancing Avacado

Osaka 29/9/71

New York 71...yes 71. Not a great recording but a tremendous performance

Top 5 ?

1.) Montreux 1970

2.) Montreux 1970

3.) Montreux 1970

4.) Montreux 1970

5.) Montreux 1970

There !.....that should make up for all those people who overlooked it on their list. :D

Archived