What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I'm re-reading John Lydon's autobiography "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs". I need to stop re-reading things, and find something new!

excellent book....reread it a few times myself.

oh, and dragster-thanks!

Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Chapter one: Amici’s

A big difference between waiters and cooks is the hours they work. Waiters usually work an eight- or nine-hour shift and go home. The kitchen guys, however, are often the first to show up and the last to go home. Fourteen-hour days are common. When a restaurant closes its doors for the night, you’ll probably find half its servers getting blasted at a nearby bar. But you’ll find the kitchen guys sharing a taxi or waiting at a bus stop for a public transportation ride home. Because most fine-dining establishments are located in neighborhoods where residential rents are high, kitchen personnel seldom can afford to live close to their place of employment. That means they often have a very long commute to and from work. One of Amici’s prep cooks buses it from Queens every day. Depending on traffic, that can be a three-hour round-trip six days a week — on top of working a fourteen-hour shift. The waiters at Amici’s (at least the ones without DUIs) have cars and shorter commutes. They have free time. This disparity in leisure hours often leads to resentment between the front and back of the house. At the end of the night the exhausted kitchen guys just want to go home to enjoy what little free time they have left.

-Steve Dublanica

Christine Carpenter's The Wars of the Roses: Politics and Constitution in England c. 1437-1509, which is excellent.

Park Honan's Christopher Marlowe, Poet and Spy, good so far.

And re-reading The Aeneid, Fitzgerald translation, amazing as always.

Edited by AllisonAdler

Just ordered this... I have to finish the other three books I've ordered before I get to this, but this looks educational... maybe shed some light on my perceived insanity... :P

411Rw1JG9gL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

This was a very interesting read. Very informative. I have to admit, that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would cause it's more science than it is music. Even still, worth reading. :)

• 3 weeks later...