What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I'm currently re-reading Patricia Kennealy's book "Strange Days" about her time with Jim Morrison for the gazillionth time. She has a new fiction book out that I'm looking forward to reading soon.

o7nc68.jpg

Travels With My Amp - Greg Godovitz. A Canadian rocker whom because of his nationality most of you have probably never heard of. :lol:

I also just finished 3 Douglas Coupland books- another Canadian- jPod, Generation X, and All Families Are Psychotic.

The picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde

That's funny...I JUST picked the same book up a few days ago. I found it in a give away book box.

I'll get to it after I read the two autobiographies I picked up at the library today:

Donovan (Leitch) The Hurdy Gurdy Man just started it. I'm on a Donovan kick lately.

In the thanks to page he thanks.."Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jeff Beck, Graham Nash, and to all my studio pals, diamonds all. Let's do it again!"

Ron Wood...though I may have already read it... :bagoverhead:

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

That's funny...I JUST picked the same book up a few days ago. I found it in a give away book box.

I'll get to it after I read the two autobiographies I picked up at the library today:

Donovan (Leitch) The Hurdy Gurdy Man just started it. I'm on a Donovan kick lately.

In the thanks to page he thanks.."Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jeff Beck, Graham Nash, and to all my studio pals, diamonds all. Let's do it again!"

Ron Wood...though I may have already read it... :bagoverhead:

That's funny. I just bought The Picture of Dorian Gray last Friday!

I also bought Animal Farm, Silas Marner, and Ethan Fromme. Barnes and Noble had a buy 2, get one free on the classics.

I wanted British Lit authors to read on my trip to England and Scotland in August. (I know, Edith Wharton was from New York, not from Britain.)

I also bought Les Miserables, one of my top five favorite books. I have wanted to re-read it as I totally enjoy it's prose and message.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

That's funny. I just bought The Picture of Dorian Gray last Friday!

Now this is just plain...Wilde :D

Mine is old...1946. Third printing, with a groovy dust jacket showing the movie, and on the back sleeve it say's "You may send this book to a member of the armed forces for 4 cents." :blink:

I'm on it next 'cos I have read the Ron Wood book...though I wound up re-reading parts of it anyway.

Donovan....when I have the book handy I'll quote some what IMHO are rediculous statements.

Like HIS influence on Zeppelin, Dylan, Flower Power...like he invented everything.

Typical Scot. :hidinginwall:

Mine is old...1946. Third printing, with a groovy dust jacket showing the movie, and on the back sleeve it say's "You may send this book to a member of the armed forces for 4 cents." :blink:

I'm on it next 'cos I have read the Ron Wood book...though I wound up re-reading parts of it anyway.

Donovan....when I have the book handy I'll quote some what IMHO are rediculous statements.

Like HIS influence on Zeppelin, Dylan, Flower Power...like he invented everything.

Typical Scot. :hidinginwall:

Looking forward to your posts of the quotes, Hotplant.

I like old books. That 1946 edition may be a collectors item some day, maybe today?

Looking forward to your posts of the quotes, Hotplant.

I like old books. That 1946 edition may be a collectors item some day, maybe today?

I like old books too. It may be a collectible. Though being the third printing probably not so much.

I've been reading nothing other than short stories and poetry lately.

Give me a few days, and we'll be reading Mockingbird. Yes, I said "we." I've been too busy to read anything on my own--summer school is a whirlwind!

Hey Mandy. But you're doing what you love, so good on ya!

Ok, here are a couple of things Donovan said that led me to believe he truly admires....himself.

(I love his music though...despite himself.)

" Mickie Most later said that the music we made in late 1965 and 1966 influenced the Beatles to experiment more adventurously on Sgt. Peppers. This may well be. I also stirred the Celtic Cauldron and encouraged Led Zeppelin to express himself with images and sounds from our Celtic European roots. ( :blink: )"

"I gave our music the name 'Celtic Rock'."

Hurdy Gurdy Man

" John Paul Jones and I had worked together before, and he arranged and played on "Hurdy Gurdy Man" session. We were joined by drummers Clem Catini and John Bonham.

Most people would think we used an effect on the voice, but it was natural. Layers of guitar were added by Page and Hollsworth, and a new kind of metal folk was created. The term metal had not been coined for music yet, but perhaps Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham were inspired be this session to form Led Zeppelin."

:huh:

Whatever.

He also alluded to Bonham playing with them as a "studio drummer who knew JPJ, and JP" (before they-JP- had actually met.)

Ah well, sometimes it's better to not know about people who's music you love. <_<

Edited by Hotplant

That is really cool! :D I love old books also. On Saturdays, my local public library has a book sale, and I recently bought a Daphne du Maurier book that was printed in 1958! I know it's not really THAT old but I was excited about it because it still had a subscription for Time magazine in the middle of the book!! :D

By the way, The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books. The movie from 1945 kind of freaks me out (it has a creepy atmosphere to it), but it's well worth watching.

Getting back to the topic: I finally got around to starting Lord of the Rings, which I've been wanting to read for a long time now. (But it might take me a long time to finish it since it's 1038 pages! :lol: )

Edited by a clockwork tangerine

That is really cool! :D I love old books also. On Saturdays, my local public library has a book sale, and I recently bought a Daphne du Maurier book that was printed in 1958! I know it's not really THAT old but I was excited about it because it still had a subscription for Time magazine in the middle of the book!! :D

By the way, The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books. The movie from 1945 kind of freaks me out (it has a creepy atmosphere to it), but it's well worth watching.

Getting back to the topic: I finally got around to starting Lord of the Rings, which I've been wanting to read for a long time now. (But it might take me a long time to finish it since it's 1038 pages! :lol: )

Actually the LOTR books move pretty quickly. You'll find (hopefully) you get so engaged in them, you blow through them in no time :)

Actually the LOTR books move pretty quickly. You'll find (hopefully) you get so engaged in them, you blow through them in no time :)

Yeah, it does move pretty quickly - I'm almost done with The Fellowship of the Ring. So far, I'm really enjoying it! :D I also noticed that the movie follows pretty closely with the book - except I wish that they would have included Tom Bombadil in the movie. He seems like an interesting character! :)