What Are You Reading?

Chicken

Books,the newspaper and stuff on the net.Obviously.

Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess.The Portable atheist,edited and compiled byChristopher Hitchens and Long Player,Goodbye byTravis Elborough.Those are the books,for now.

The Guardian in paper form,maybe once or twice a week.Various websites,including Z net, New Economics Foundation,Richard Dawkins.net,Guardian football,Facebook,just once a week for that one,various local news and entertainment sites,and a Led Zep site that I drop in to once in a while..obviously.

I've never read The Sun Also Rises, but I've read other Hemingway books. I like him, but I'm not a HUGE fan. There are too many things that point to him being a man's man writer and I'm too much of a feminist to be able to deal with Ernie in large doses. ;)

Hahahahaha! He definitely fits that profile... I don't know if you know anything about his personal life, but he definitely lived vicariously through himself.

The symbolism in his books and the way he employs/reveals it is interesting, though.

The Sun Also Rises is in a state of drunkeness about 80% of the time. It has a social message about the contrast of the loose morals of the "Lost Generation" with the more righteous morals of the younger generation (characterized by the young bullfighter Pedro. the bullfight itsself is a metaphor for finding love or a hook up). Also the main protagonist was emasculated in the War, and then decides to hang around with the woman who he used to love (she is somewhat of a nympho, though, and since he can't provide anymore she gets around), so there is a lot of symbolism pointing to him wanting to have his penis back. Sometimes even blatant... one of the last lines of the book is something about the sun being hot and high in the sky, his ex-lover is sitting next to him in the cab, the car takes a turn and she's pressed against him, he looks up and a mounted patrolman raises his baton. ahem.

Basically the title "The Sun Also Rises" is a reference to his "mango" (to use a Zeppeliny term) also rising, though it no longer can cuz of his emasculation.

yeah, I guess it's not a book for feminists ha

• 2 weeks later...
Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha

That's on my "to read" list. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So, I bragged to Aqua a while ago about how I never read A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich. Well, this job that I've got my eye on has said book IN THE CURRICULUM! It's a required book.

Well, thank God I've still got my (mostly unread) hardback copy from when I was a 12th grader. :lol:

At the current moment, The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

It's one of the 5 or 6 books on my bookshelf that I've probably read damn near 50 times or more. It seems that whenever I get bored and feel like reading a book, rather than grabbing one I haven't read yet or haven't read in a while, I reach for that one or one of the other 5. I guess it's like a comfortable pair of jeans or something.

I just finished No Angel.

About an LA undercover cop infiltrating the Hells Angels.

It was a real page turner.

Yet so similar to another book about a cop infiltrating the Mongols MC.

These guys get caught up in the life style and find it hard to quit.

I read weird stuff sometimes.

^I LOVE A Brave New World!

I wasn't sure if I would, but I read it because it was on the list for a book report I had to do for a MATH class, and I loved it.

I'm reading Lost Horizon by James Hilton. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to use it in my night school class instead of The Odyssey.

If all else fails, I may do both.

I just finished reading Shakespeare On Toast by Ben Crystal.

I bought it at Heathrow Airport on my trip home from London.

I was inspired by visiting The Globe Theatere and Stratford-Upon-Avon.

The book teaches you how to get more meaning from Shakespeare's writings by looking for some subtleties.

An example: When he changes from using the words "thee" and "thou" to using the word "you", and vice versa.

Thee and thou are more informal and imply an intimacy or a degree of casualness in the relationship between the characters involved. Using "you" implies a more formal relationship. If a character switches from using "thou" to using "you", it implies that there has been a change in the relationship between the characters. It always means something when this happens.

Lady Macbeth uses "thou" when talking with her husband to show a closeness and intimacy.

But after Act 1, Scene 7, once Macbeth has tried to convince his wife that they shouldn't kill Duncan, Lady Macbeth never uses "thou" to refer to her husband again. She begins to use the word "you". This seems to imply that she has lost a certaain degree of love and respect for her husband.

That's on my "to read" list. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So, I bragged to Aqua a while ago about how I never read A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich. Well, this job that I've got my eye on has said book IN THE CURRICULUM! It's a required book.

Well, thank God I've still got my (mostly unread) hardback copy from when I was a 12th grader. :lol:

Siddartha's a good read. I would suggest it :)

Lunar Park- Bret Easton Ellis

How is that? I haven't read anything of his recently.

Siddartha's a good read. I would suggest it :)

How is that? I haven't read anything of his recently.

It's really a good book Nine. I've read most of his stuff and so far this one is a very heartwrentching story. Written in the same manic style that he has. I really recommend it.

It's really a good book Nine. I've read most of his stuff and so far this one is a very heartwrentching story. Written in the same manic style that he has. I really recommend it.

Great - I shall look into it when I'm done with the book I'm reading now. Thanks Babs :D

^I LOVE A Brave New World!

I wasn't sure if I would, but I read it because it was on the list for a book report I had to do for a MATH class, and I loved it.

I love it too! I've read it twice now. I had to read it my senior year for English class, and it's one of the few books that I had to read for school that I actually liked! :) I also like 1984, which is similar to Brave New World. (I've read it twice also.) I can't decide which book I like better.

I'm still reading Lord of the Rings, but I'm almost finished! :D (I'm halfway through The Return of the King.)

Edited by a clockwork tangerine

• 3 weeks later...

Just popped in to say that I've finally finished Lord of the Rings! I really enjoyed it. I think what I liked about it most was the poetry. I don't really like poetry in general, but I liked his verses because I actually understood them! :)

Okay now that Halloween is around the corner, it's time for horror stories by Algernon Blackwood, H.P. Lovecraft, and Bram Stoker's Dracula's Guest (I read Dracula last year).