What Are You Reading?

Chicken

Just finished Slaughterhouse 5 and just started Catch 22.

I only read books with numbers in the title or my family will die.

:hysterical: I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but I have the same problem with numbers. I have to put the radio or television volume on an even # or my family will die. Should this be in the Ask Auntie thread?

What I'm currently reading:

My Medical Office Coding textbook.

:hysterical: I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but I have the same problem with numbers. I have to put the radio or television volume on an even # or my family will die. Should this be in the Ask Auntie thread?

What I'm currently reading:

My Medical Office Coding textbook.

It's the same disorder that dictates that I can only kill on the 14th and 20th of every month.

Just finished Slaughterhouse 5 and just started Catch 22.

I only read books with numbers in the title or my family will die.

:lol: I like to read Janet Evanovich's Plum series. Each one has a number in it.

One for the Money, Two for the Dough. Just finished Finger Licking Fifteen. They're a quick read and pretty funny.

Meditations On First Philosophy - Rene Descartes

Something to share :D

http://books.google.com/books?id=t4r9iLV2ZXYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Meditations+On+First+Philosophy+-+Rene+Descartes#v=onepage&q=Meditations%20On%20First%20Philosophy%20-%20Rene%20Descartes&f=false

The Talisman - Stephen King

Edited by Mary Hartman

Hey Reggie29,

You must be the first one on your block to get this book!

Isn't today the official release date? (September 15th arrived in Australia first, LOL).

Let us know how you liked it.

G'day Buckeye!

What's up Doc!? biggrin.gif

Dunno about being the first, yeah it was released here today, which is yesterday there!

It's a space / time continuum thing! smile.gif

I like Brown's style of writing, he is similar to Crichton in that the narrative is fast paced and are easily transformed into screenplays for movies.

I'll let y'all know how it goes without giving too much away.

It features Freemasonry?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol". As usual, I got sucked into it. Some of it was predictable. But for future reference, I really need to NOT look at Wikipedia before I finish a book. Accidentley read some spoilers on there that ruined it for me. <_<

Went to the library today and got three beginning German. :blush:

I know I'll suck at it, even though my mom spoke it, she would never teach me.

I wonder if those Rosetta videos work like they claim.

The three or so different dialects would/will make me looney. :wacko:

Rosetta Stone works very well, especially if you get the software and practice on a regular basis.

I sub at the Boise Language Academy, which is a school for new immigrants to the United States who are not fluent English speakers.

Today, the teacher I subbed for has two classes where she takes the kids once a week into the computer lab and they do the Rosetta Stone for English. The kids wear a headphone/microphone headset and they do the lessons independently. This is just part of their "English Language Development" class, but it's quite interesting.

I was sitting in the back of the room while I listened to a Vietnamese boy said, "What are you doing?" over and over again until the software decided it was satisfactorily pronounced. At one point, he took his headset off, (after saying it about twenty times), and said to the boy next to him, "will you say 'what are you doing?' for me?"

I was in the back of the room, kind of just watching them, cracking up.

Later on in the day in a different class, a girl from Iraq was stuck on the same thing. She was getting irritated, and I thought she was saying it just fine, and she kept looking at me like "WTF?"

Finally, in a really, really high-pitched voice, she said, "what are you doing?" and it went to the next exercise. We laughed.

So, Hotplant, long story longer: Rosetta Stone is used in the public schools in Boise for English Lanugage Learners. I'm thinking it works pretty dang well. :D

Oh and more: German is pretty hard for English (language 1 /L1)speakers to learn, even though English is a Germanic language. German L1 speakers can read Old English easier than English L1 speakers.

What I came in here for:

I'm STILL reading Grapes of Wrath. I've had a bit of ADD with books lately, but I'm almost done.

Man, I need to finish this book up, because it's starting to really depress me, (I'm almost done, I think I have less than fifty pages left). I LOVED it the last time I read it when I was in high school...

edited: I left the Joads in their high-ground barn...I finished it.

Edited by manderlyh

Thanks for the info Mandy. But after checking out the prices, even used on Amazon...like 200 -300 bucks used. Forget that!

So I found "Babbel.com" it is pretty cool. It's visual also, which is how I learn so I've been doing that. I like the features they have. Like when a picture pops up with the German word or phrase you can change the picture until it's one that will stick in your mind. It doesn't have a speak back function...maybe it does, I've only started last week or so.

But, it's a start and it's free.

I'll be happy if I can just get 'travelers conversation' down.

I just read In Her Wake, a true story about a daughters search for answers to her mother's suicide. By Nancy Rappaport.

Kinda creepy.

Edited by Hotplant

• 2 weeks later...