What Are You Reading?

Chicken

Yes, he really was :) Oh I absolutely adore physics, and all the maths that comes with it, the language of the universe! I'm a deeply curious person and am particularly drawn to cosmology. Always trying to seek the truth. I actually would like to brush up on the history of science, it's completely fascinating. Some wonderful minds have walked this planet!

Advanced math escapes my comprehension....it's too hard!! Lol. I've studied the history of science from pre-Ptolemy up through Stephen Hawking and beyond. I love the Copernicus/Kepler/Galileo/Brahe era, but I'm particularly fascinated by Issac Newton.

Speaking of reading, I am very proud of my daughter who is now a manager at the top publishing company in the world in Manhattan. She is reading like ten manuscripts at once nightly. She has a big say in books being published. Its alot of romance novels she said. That is the "in thing".

Congratulations to your daughter -- I know the publishing industry in New York is brutally competitive.

Advanced math escapes my comprehension....it's too hard!! Lol. I've studied the history of science from pre-Ptolemy up through Stephen Hawking and beyond. I love the Copernicus/Kepler/Galileo/Brahe era, but I'm particularly fascinated by Issac Newton.

Advanced maths is just lots of beginner maths all added together! ;) I honestly believe that you can learn anything if you break it into small enough steps. That's why I have an annoying habit of believing I can do anything given enough effort lol. It's why I have so many hobbies and not enough time to do them, haha!

The era you mentioned is such a turning point in astronomy and science in general! Such wonderful minds! And then, of course, Newton was just phenomenal.

Physics lies at the heart of my interests and I love the application of it in the field of astronomy and also cosmology.

The colourised photograph below is one of my favourites, so many great minds in once place! I'm sure you will have seen it. It was taken at the Solvay Conference in 1927. Einstein, Dirac, Planck, Heisenberg, de Broglie, Curie, Schrödinger, Bohr, Pauli...astounding!

c60fd1d7f55736f69b62d139a04f4946.jpg

Advanced maths is just lots of beginner maths all added together! ;) I honestly believe that you can learn anything if you break it into small enough steps. That's why I have an annoying habit of believing I can do anything given enough effort lol. It's why I have so many hobbies and not enough time to do them, haha!

The era you mentioned is such a turning point in astronomy and science in general! Such wonderful minds! And then, of course, Newton was just phenomenal.

Physics lies at the heart of my interests and I love the application of it in the field of astronomy and also cosmology.

The colourised photograph below is one of my favourites, so many great minds in once place! I'm sure you will have seen it. It was taken at the Solvay Conference in 1927. Einstein, Dirac, Planck, Heisenberg, de Broglie, Curie, Schrödinger, Bohr, Pauli...astounding!

c60fd1d7f55736f69b62d139a04f4946.jpg

Thanks Zoe, great post and photo.

• 3 weeks later...

^^That IS an astonishing collection of brilliant minds!

I'm reading Zen Confidential: Confessions of a Wayward Monk by Shozan Jack Haubner.

Hilarious and poignant. First he softens you with humour, and then bypasses defences to present your heart with sage observations to consider. Tricky monk.

Down to earth, graceful, honest and so very funny it has to be said twice.

'Pin Action' by Gianmarc Manzione

It's about 'action bowling' in the early 50's and 60's when bowlers would play for thousands of dollars. The mob and small time gamblers were also involved. But many of the bowlers went on to become PBA members and the story revolves mainly around Ernie Schlegel.

Not reading it so much as posting because it's a special find. Rick posted a link earlier about Alcatraz, and when I clicked on it, there was also a link to info about a long-lost Dylan Thomas manuscript that has been found.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/world/europe/dylan-thomas-long-lost-manuscript-found/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

I love info about how a create work comes into being; these in-progress versions of poems are an incredible addition to the glimpses into Thomas's process. Hopefully this is sold to a library and not a private owner who wants to keep it away from the public. It really deserves to see the light.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics.

Reading them...or singing them? ;)

I've just begun reading Anne Rice's "Beauty" trilogy, the first book is called "Beauty's Punishment."

Are you reading it together with your woman? It's great foreplay. Far better story, far better written, and far more erotic than the pile o' shite sham that is "50 Shades of Grey".

Alternating between three books right now...

For my commute: "I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star" by Judy Greer.

For lunchtime and when it's slow at work: "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler.

For nighttime: "Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War" by Mark Harris.

Reading them...or singing them? ;)

Are you reading it together with your woman? It's great foreplay. Far better story, far better written, and far more erotic than the pile o' shite sham that is "50 Shades of Grey".

Agreed. She hasn't read any of it, but I think she would love it if she did.