What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I've been picking away at James Joyces Ulysses for awhile now. I'm rather surprised by some of the things he writes about in that story. I can see why it was ban right after it was first published and I feel it's still a very revolutionary book after all these years.

That makes perfect sense actually! And I'm enjoying Burmese Days, who would you say is a common day Orwell, I've been trying to find someone with a similar writing style.

That's a tough one to answer for me--the contemporary British writers I read tend to be quite different in terms of genre from Orwell (I agree about Wigan Pier, though--that's a really interesting work; Keep the Aspidistra Flying is another good one). Also, with the Empire long gone, it'd be hard to find someone with the same range of experience! I really like Sillitoe (Saturday Night and Sunday Morning), Larkin (Collected Poems), and Osborne (Look Back in Anger), all of whom are just a generation later than Orwell and have (arguably) similar commitments to social realism.

• 4 weeks later...

There are currently three books on my list,

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. Almost finished. Interesting to see what drugs make people do.. :o

Running Down a Dream on Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Only a few pages. Very good.Well written,beautiful pictures, great coffee table music book

Magus, Magician, Man- Jimmy Page by George Case. I will leave this one after I finished the Tom Petty's. :)

There are currently three books on my list,

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. Almost finished. Interesting to see what drugs make people do.. :o

Running Down a Dream on Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Only a few pages. Very good.Well written,beautiful pictures, great coffee table music book

Magus, Magician, Man- Jimmy Page by George Case. I will leave this one after I finished the Tom Petty's. :)

Oh!

I love that Petty song. I have his best of CD the long one. You sound like me, I like to keep 2-4 going for fun. Over 4 is no fun for some reason. My mother always ways "You can only read one at a time" "NO YOU can only read one at a time mumsy."

I have to get that Page one, off I go ordering 'rubs hands briskly.'

Crazy From The Heat David Lee Roth story

Not heard much of Van Halens music but had this book bought for me, its an enjoyable read and features quite a few references to Led Zeppelin.

New History Of Witchcraft by Jeffrey Burton Russell and Brooks Alexander

Just started to read this updated edition which Ive borrowed from a friend.

Crazy From The Heat David Lee Roth story

Not heard much of Van Halens music but had this book bought for me, its an enjoyable read and features quite a few references to Led Zeppelin.

New History Of Witchcraft by Jeffrey Burton Russell and Brooks Alexander

Just started to read this updated edition which Ive borrowed from a friend.

The History Of Witchcraft Sounds fascinating.

It is theres some really good sections in it and clearly its not a definitive history as it simply couldnt be contained within one book. Theres some great chapters thougth in particular the final one involving the medias influence on such subjects and there popularity.

It has been around in various forms the book for many years I own an older version I picked up form a second hand shop years ago.

Edited by Ethan

"Die Zukunft der menschlichen Natur" (the future of human nature) Jürgen Habermas - The book takes up the question of genetic engineering and its ethical implications and subjects it to careful philosophical scrutiny.

P.S> NO, i don't read in germany, i'm reading a translate to portuguese :)

Othello by William Shakespeare (no, really?!)

Elle et lui by George Sand

I love Othello. Iago's the man. :shifty: Elle et lui is interesting as a psychological study, but it has a pretty boring plot. I've been reading for 30 pages now, and so far all that's happened is the usual guy likes girl, girl doesn't like guy "that way" because she's all liberated, so guy has to try harder to woo her. Oy.

You sound like me, I like to keep 2-4 going for fun. Over 4 is no fun for some reason. My mother always ways "You can only read one at a time" "NO YOU can only read one at a time mumsy."

I have to get that Page one, off I go ordering 'rubs hands briskly.'

:) I can't help it. Most of the times, I want to concentrate on one book only, but depending on the book and on the level of interest I might want to have another one on the side... :D

But as I said, I haven't started the Jimmy's yet. This one will have my one and only attention. For the moment, it keeps company to the other two on my bedside table... :)