What Are You Reading?

Chicken

The Moonstone...Wilkie Collins... like to hear what you all think?

without making a link Moonchild anyone?

Both great! I've actually taught both of these and everyone really enjoyed them.

I'm reading Charles Nicholl's The Reckoning: The Murder of Christopher Marlowe, which is quite gripping.

Also just got Peter Trippi's book on J. M. Waterhouse--seems very good so far.

Well, since you mentioned it Hotplant, now I'm curious, what about TR? :blink:

Who?? Todd? dunno...but I'd like to...:shifty:

Oh and to someone who asked, it is Open Up And Bleed by Paul Trynka.

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not into anything too serious this time of year. :bagoverhead:

Maybe I should try Crime and Punishment or something worthier than bios.

Nah...Save that for winter.

Who?? Todd? dunno...but I'd like to...:shifty:

Oh and to someone who asked, it is Open Up And Bleed by Paul Trynka.

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not into anything too serious this time of year. :bagoverhead:

Maybe I should try Crime and Punishment or something worthier than bios.

Nah...Save that for winter.

:lol:

Back to reading: :)

I just finished reading The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell for the second time (the last time was 20 years ago). Right now I'm reading Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

aiggyncor.jpg

Someone asked I scan the pic of Corel (?) at Rodneys.

Sorry it's small, but you can enlarge it to see it better.

:)

Such is NOT the case in the pic of a naked Iggy. Nothing SMALL about it! :o:shifty:

Whoa! He may even have Robert beat in that area.......... :blink:

Which one is Corel? Yikes! I hope she was better looking than Sable....If I were a guy I'd call her a two bagger! She always looked like you could catch something just by breathing the same air!

OK, not very nice but I'd prefer to believe Jimmy had/has better taste!

Which one is Corel? Yikes! I hope she was better looking than Sable....If I were a guy I'd call her a two bagger! She always looked like you could catch something just by breathing the same air!

OK, not very nice but I'd prefer to believe Jimmy had/has better taste!

Jimmy did have better taste: Corel (Coral) is the girl in the center of the photo with the long, dark hair. She was much prettier (and sweeter looking) than her younger sister.

Jimmy did have better taste: Corel (Coral) is the girl in the center of the photo with the long, dark hair. She was much prettier (and sweeter looking) than her younger sister.

Sigh of relief, thanks for that MSG! HotPlant, I love biographies also...and yeah, Summer reading is light for me too. I just finished Laurel Canyon...good summer read.

I'm reading the autobiography by this amazing guy:

foxts2.jpg

I juggle books, I always have a stack next to my bed..hmmmm, I'm in the middle of two poker books (one signed by my hero Daniel Negranue) and a book about Innana, amongst a pile of magazines I'll never get through, and Be a Pack Leader (dog training book that has all the corners chewed off) Very effective book <_<

Just got done reading "The Battle at Salamis" by Barry Strauss.

Its about an epic Greek/Persian naval battle... but also references the battle at Thermopaly, which if you've seen the movie 300, is basically word-for word from this book.

Ancient Greece is bad ass.

Just got done reading "The Battle at Salamis" by Barry Strauss.

Its about an epic Greek/Persian naval battle... but also references the battle at Thermopaly, which if you've seen the movie 300, is basically word-for word from this book.

Ancient Greece is bad ass.

It's pretty great! I just finished Robin Osborne's Greece in the Making 1200-479 BC myself.

It's pretty great! I just finished Robin Osborne's Greece in the Making 1200-479 BC myself.

Thats a huge time period... I might imagine there is alot to say.

The books I've read have been pretty short, looking for something a little longer to hold me over for more than just a few days...

I've read things like Homer's The Odyssey, The Battle on Salamis, the works of Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc, and tons of Greek mythology... but nothing about Greece itself... sounds interesting!

Whats it mainly about? If has anything to do with politics and/or warfare, I will be more inclined to read it.

Thats a huge time period... I might imagine there is alot to say.

The books I've read have been pretty short, looking for something a little longer to hold me over for more than just a few days...

I've read things like Homer's The Odyssey, The Battle on Salamis, the works of Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc, and tons of Greek mythology... but nothing about Greece itself... sounds interesting!

Whats it mainly about? If has anything to do with politics and/or warfare, I will be more inclined to read it.

There is a good deal about warfare, but its primary concerns are archaeological and cultural. Have you read Herodotus' Histories? The Waterfield Oxford translation is very good. You might also try Thucydides' The Peloponnesian War (Lattimore translation). And if you haven't read The Iliad, the Fagles translation is amazing--I'm on the last four books at present and it's been fantastic.

There is a good deal about warfare, but its primary concerns are archaeological and cultural. Have you read Herodotus' Histories? The Waterfield Oxford translation is very good. You might also try Thucydides' The Peloponnesian War (Lattimore translation). And if you haven't read The Iliad, the Fagles translation is amazing--I'm on the last four books at present and it's been fantastic.

I've read the Iliad - it was a required reading in one of my english courses here in college, and I wholly enjoyed it. As for the others you mention, I have some catching up to do.

It just so happens that Herodotus is the main historian from whos accounts The Battle of Salamis (The book I just finished) was assembled.

As for any other histories, I have yet to discover, but I've heard Herodotus had the best accounts, thus I will look into these next.

any good? looks very interesting. i love lewis carroll and would pick that up if you say it is worth it.

Well, don't take my word for it...I'm no book expert, BUT I DO love Carroll and all his studies on science, maths, applied maths and dimensions. If you like to see where he got his inspiration from, this book is worth looking into.

Robert.