Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chicken

What Are You Reading?

I just finished reading Twilight a week ago. Gag. This is honestly a really popular series? Man, the post-Potter world really is depressing. I kind of want to read the second book just to see if anything ever finally happens, but the characters are so one-dimensional that I'm not sure I'll care if anything remotely interesting does come up. Plus, the author's writing "style" gives me a pain.

At the moment: Another idiotic email from my boss that has no subject line so you have to open every single freekin email and the contents.....don't get me started bout them....putz!

I am also reading; The Northern Forest - a study of aboriginal people in Alaska/Yukon, past to (somewhat) present.

been re-reading "inside the third reich" by albert speer. not as good a "spandau diaries", but i still pick it up every few years or so.

i also just picked up "greatest works of art of the western civilization" by thomas hoving. i'd have to agree with most of his 150 or so choices. nice printing, too...

i've almost finished "w.e.b. du bois biography of a race" by david levering lewis. very thorough and well written. a quote: "we claim for ourselves every single right that belongs to a freeborn american-and until we get these rights we will never cease to protest or assail the ears of america. the battle we wage is not for ourselves but for all true americans". -du bois born 1868

The Trial by Franz Kafka and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I want to read Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

The Burning Girl by Mark Billingham, I'm a real sucker for good thrillers/detectives.

taking a break from the Order of the Phoenix

now I'm reading Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Led Zeppelin Official Forum >> General Forum >> Ramble On

Oh, wait... ^_^

I'm reading a lovely book by Martha Grimes called "The Blue Last." A murder mystery, but really it's about childhood loss, families, memories, how fleeting life is. Wonderful writer.

I just finished reading Twilight a week ago. Gag. This is honestly a really popular series? Man, the post-Potter world really is depressing. I kind of want to read the second book just to see if anything ever finally happens, but the characters are so one-dimensional that I'm not sure I'll care if anything remotely interesting does come up. Plus, the author's writing "style" gives me a pain.

Don't bother reading the other books, nothing happens at all. I went on due to the same reason as you...dull!

Edit: Oops, I forgot I'm a teenie girl, I'm suposed to like stuff like this...WTF

Edited by lucyinthesky

I'm re-reading (I tend to re-read alot) Carole Pope's autobiography called Anti-Diva. She used to be the singer in a band from Canada called Rough Trade. There are a few Zeppelin mentions in the book like how she saw them at the early shows they played in Toronto. She also mentions a meeting she had with Eddie Kramer at Electric Lady Studios and Jimmy Page happened to be there at the same time. This is what she said:

"I had a meeting with Eddie Kramer at his Electric Lady studio in the East Village. He was standing there with guitarist Jimmy Page who was dresssed entirely in black. I must say that everything paled next to Page in that room. I'd heard that he was into the cult of Aleister Crowley, an English satanist from the thirties. I found him intimidating."

I was thinking of buying this book Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An Unauthorized Biography. Has anyone read it and what do you think about it?

Titus Andronicus and Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale for classes, and Derek Wilson's The Uncrowned Kings of England, which is about the Dudleys (as in Robert, earl of Leicester). All good!

Rubicon

The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic - Tom Holland

Edited by Fortuna

Re-reading 'Up & Down With The Rolling Stones' by "Spanish" Tony Sanchez (again). I really need to start buying new books.

Bob Dylan lyrics...okay, I confess, I did it whilst my English lesson. But so what, I did English!

And I use to read under the table or watch the Jimmy Page/Keith Emerson slide show on my iPod...

I am between books and need to find a new mystery/crime series. Any suggestions? I've read Evanovich, Grafton, Truman, Patterson, Cornwell, Reichs, Fairstein, Muller and most of the Baldaccis. And have read Grisham and Dan Brown. Cozy mysteries are good too; I haven't read as many of those. :)

I was thinking of buying this book Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An Unauthorized Biography. Has anyone read it and what do you think about it?

I bought this book and enjoyed reading it. I can't speak to its complete accuracy -- the experts in the forum could probably point out errors. They would probably say that there's not much new to be found. But the author is definitely a good writer with a nice style and I found it entertaining. I will definitely keep it rather than selling it to Half-Price Books (which I do with books I don't particularly care to hold onto).

Edited by Mernie