What Are You Reading?

Chicken

I haven't read them. I was given the second book by my aunt and uncle for Christmas. I hadn't even expressed a desire to read them or see the film, so where my aunt got the idea from to buy it for me, I'll never know - I'm 23, not 15. And because she bought me the second one, I couldn't read it without needing to go out and buy the first one, which was a bit annoying. And I still haven't read them (yes, I did buy the first one in the end <_< ) - if only because Meyer's used the most beautiful literary man (Jane Eyre's Edward Rochester :wub: ) and turned him into an angsty teenage vampire - what the frig?

I currently have two books on the go - Marianne Faithfull's Memories, Dreams and Reflections and Pamela Des Barres' Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart. Once those are done with I'm gonna read Charlotte Bronte's Villette and Morgana Welch's Hollywood Diaries.

I'm the mom of a 15 year old, and all the moms I know are reading/have read the books :) It's definitely not what I normally read (mysteries/thrillers/spy novels mostly) but everyone kept urging me to give the books a try.

(I enjoyed them; books 1 and 4 were definitely the best in the series; book 1 being overall best IMO).

The Little Sister : Raymond Chandler.

I've read all the other Philip Marlowe mysteries, so this is the final outing, and I'm a bit gutted. Really enjoyed them all.

The Lady in the Lake would be the best.

TLS was spoiled just a fraction because I made the mistake of watching the James Garner/Bruce Lee version on the Dullard Box last week. It was pish.

7f7b51a2.jpg

Edited by Big Blue

I just bought Nick Mason's book on Pink Floyd. Very excellent read, so far.

I read that last year. I found alot of the early pictures, especially pre72 with them playing soccer or on the beach with their gfs and wives very cool. It's a well written book too.

Floyd started to shows signs of fatigue and ego troubles during WYWH, with Waters and Gilmour beginning their reoccuring "shouting matches" during recording. It wasn't until Animals that there was a real tension brewing within the band. I know Mason was asked to pick up his weight by Gilmour, who felt he was underplaying on the album. Mason contributed his lack of interest in his recent divorce while in Wright's case, he was said to be going through a creative slump. Whatever the reasons, Animals is basically the album that broke Pink Floyd. The Wall is the album that split the band up.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

"The Great Hunger: Ireland: 1845-1849" by Cecil Woodham-Smith, about the Irish Famine. I've been meaning to read it for years. It is excellent, despite the shocking/grim subject matter. It's deeply humbling to know what 2 of my County Mayo ancestors endured.

Edited by FireOpal

then I would buy it immediately and read! :D I adore Rochester too ;)

I'm reading King's "Shining" at the moment.

i read all four stefanie meyers' books, starting with twilight. i thought they were fantastic and i am in love with the character, Edward. i was hooked, and read one after the next in a period of a few weeks. i thought the movie, twilight, sucked...but robert pattinson is just beautiful.

i just finished The Shack by Wm. Paul Young...awesome book, a must read. And now, i am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. So far, amazing.

Currently reading this series with my 4 year old...such endearing characters in these books, especially the main one!

X1710612ASd.jpg51U1EnPVDuL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpgAAAAAjQd8f8AAAAAAChtEQ.jpgSkippyjon_p5._V7592057_.jpg

Are they cute? If so, I'm wondering if I should attempt to collect them for my beautiful little niece.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

One that's never quite made it onto my "must read" list, though it should be there.

0060837020.jpg

How is it? It's one of those "need to reads" on my hypothetical list. I see it every time I'm at the bookstore, but I never grab it.

Are they cute? If so, I'm wondering if I should attempt to collect them for my beautiful little niece.

One that's never quite made it onto my "must read" list, though it should be there.

How is it? It's one of those "need to reads" on my hypothetical list. I see it every time I'm at the bookstore, but I never grab it.

I borrowed The Bell Jar from a library about ten years ago, so I don't remember it well enough anymore to describe it properly, but it really was one of those novels that I just couldn't put down until having read the whole story. I highly recommend it!

I borrowed The Bell Jar from a library about ten years ago, so I don't remember it well enough anymore to describe it properly, but it really was one of those novels that I just couldn't put down until having read the whole story. I highly recommend it!

Thanks, it's good to know! I still have money on my Barnes and Noble gift card that my aunt gave me for graduation--maybe I'll use it for that.

How's the book by Carl Haissen? (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) I read his kids' book Hoot a while ago and enjoyed it.

Just finished the Baldacci book; getting ready to start "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell.

Decided to read Sue Grafton's "T is for Trespass" instead; will catch "Scarpetta" later.

Edited by Virginia

The Bell Jar? Grab it. I wouldn't say I love it, because that's a crass thing to say about someone's obvious inner turmoil, but it's one of my favourite books. If only because I felt like her, at times. It's sad because you know this is Plath's life - albeit with fictional names - but there's something that still compels you to read on. You know the outcome, and, in my honest opinion, had Plath not had to have gone through the medical care that she did, I sincerely think she would lived a hell of a lot longer.

She's lost in the book, she's misguided, and she's worried that the one thing she wants to do above all else - write - is, possibly the one thing she can't do. The 50's treated depression and anxiety very differently to today, and this book is all the more harrowing for it.