What Are You Reading?

Chicken

Great Book have you read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett?

Yes I read it when it was published, I though it was even better than WWE, but all the way very great books both.

If you could find Finnish writer Mika Waltari´s The Adventurer or Michael The Finn

http://en.wikipedia....rer_%28novel%29

I myself like it very much. (Maybe because the writer is Finnish);)

Went to the library today and got three beginning German. blush.gif

I know I'll suck at it, even though my mom spoke it, she would never teach me.

I wonder if those Rosetta videos work like they claim.

The three or so different dialects would/will make me looney. wacko.gif

That is so cool. I would love to learn German also as that is my ethnicity (well the majority anyway)

I've heard Rosetta Stones are great too, too bad they aren't in the library, they cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney.

• 3 weeks later...

jim harrison-in search of small gods

calendars

back in the blue chair in front of the green studio

another year has passed, or so they say, but calendars lie.

they're a kind of cosmic business machine like

their cousin clocks but break down at inopportune times.

fifty years ago i learned to jump off the calendar

but i kept getting drawn back on for reasons

of greed and my imperishable stupidity.

of late i've escaped those fatal squares

with their razor sharp numbers for longer and longer.

i had to become the moving water i already am,

falling back into the human shape in order

not to frighten my children, grandchildren, dogs and friends.

our old cat doesnt care. he laps the water were my face used to be.

Edited by middlezep

just started:

Lady Chatterley's Lover

Hi 'Spalove'

"Filth" :lol:

I've just finnished a trilogy, Brethren-Crusade-Requiem, there seems to be so many Crusader-Templar Books out at the moment i am having a hard job decieding what next to read, any ideas?

So i will stick to "Practical Aromatherapy by Shirley Price", i read it before but the old ones are usually the best.

Regards, Danny

Just finished "Isandlwana" by Adrian Greaves and now I'm reading "How Can Man Die Better:The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed" by Colonel Mike Snook.

Isandlwana is one of the most fascinating battles in history. Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 for those who don't know.

Just finished "Isandlwana" by Adrian Greaves and now I'm reading "How Can Man Die Better:The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed" by Colonel Mike Snook.

Isandlwana is one of the most fascinating battles in history. Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 for those who don't know.

Hi Mangani,

Funny that you mention "Isandlwana", my Great Great Grandfather died in that battle you know? :o

He wasnt in the Army though, he was out camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise. :lol:

I think i might give "The Lord of the Rings" another flick, for the umteenth time, still a good read dont you think?

Regards, Danny

PS, "one of the most fascinating battles in history" eh? well Grandaddy didnt think so, the Zulu's steamrollered over us, well the Welsh Regiment, 24th Foot that is, first raise as Dering’s Regiment in 1689, the South Wales Borderers. If you ever get the time go to Pluckley Church in Kent you can see the inscription on the wall in there, because thats where the Dering family resided.

Edited by BIGDAN

Hi Mangani,

Funny that you mention "Isandlwana", my Great Great Grandfather died in that battle you know? :o

He wasnt in the Army though, he was out camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise. :lol:

Howdy Big Dan.

Hehe, very funny. :D

PS, "one of the most fascinating battles in history" eh? well Grandaddy didnt think so, the Zulu's steamrollered over us, well the Welsh Regiment, 24th Foot that is, first raise as Dering’s Regiment in 1689, the South Wales Borderers. If you ever get the time go to Pluckley Church in Kent you can see the inscription on the wall in there, because thats where the Dering family resided.

My grandfather was in the South Wales Borderers and served with 6th battalion in Burma during WW2, fighting the Japanese. :) That's how I have my Zulu history.

At the time of the Zulu War it wasn't a Welsh regiment yet and was called the 2nd Warwickshire. There were 2 battalions and only the 2nd battalion were based in Brecon, Wales since the 1870s. Most of the troops were still English though. The 1st battalion were separate from the 2nd battalion and had been abroad for a decade and had been in South Africa for years. The vast majority of 1st battalion were also English. It was the 1st battalion that was wiped out at Isandlwana, with only 1 company of the 2nd battalion. The rest of the 2nd battalion was out with Lord Chelmsford ten miles away looking for the main Zulu impi. There was also one company of 2nd battalion standing guard at Rorke's Drift.

It's a fascinating battle due to the mistakes and wrong doings (in hindsite) that lead to the defeat and at one point the outcome hung in the balance. I completely believe that if the firing line wasn't so far away from the camp and so spread out that the Zulus probably wouldn't have won. :)

After all closed in proper defences stopped the massed Zulu attacks at Rorke's Drift and Khambula

Edited by Mangani