What Are You Reading?

Chicken

Just got the new book of photographs by Linda McCartney published by Taschen.

Linda McCartney "Life in Photographs"

41yG4jBcA4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Many excellent candid photographs of Paul and the kids(talk about your IDYLLIC childhoods)...and many pop/rock stars of the day including some great ones of Eric Clapton.

There is only one Led Zeppelin/Yardbirds-related photo in the entire book, and that is this one:

tumblr_lk3po6d8Ri1qbjiaso1_500.jpg

Edited by Strider

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

losering3.jpg

Just finished reading this book by Raleigh News & Observer music writer David Menconi on Ryan Adams. It's a very brisk read at less than 200 pages, which is supposed to be part of the purpose of the book. It's the second in a series of American Music books from the former publishers of No Depression magazine (the first one was on Dwight Yoakam). In the early stages of Ryan Adams' career, Menconi had unprecedented access to Adams which allows for some pretty compelling reading, especially if you are interested in that era of his career, prior to the solo records when he was still with Whiskeytown. That said, much of it was familiar territory to me since I was following David's writings and Ryan's antics pretty closely in those days but there's still a few revelatory things that made it well worth reading. Unfortunately, Ryan asked several principle folks not to cooperate with Menconi's writing of the book. However, that doesn't get in the way of his telling of the story as there are plenty of people out there that were close to Ryan that were able to add their own personal insights. One thing I might add is that the focus of the book is on Ryan's years in Whiskeytown. His solo career is covered up until the present day but somewhere following the release of Gold, Menconi no longer had the access he once had to Ryan.

Edited by Jahfin

• 1 month later...

I have about 2 chapters to go and I will be finished with the Ann and Nancy Wilson-Heart book.

I picked up the Peter Criss autobiography

Frank Langella

Get The Led Out

Jimmy Page:Light and Shade

Rod Stewart

Neil Peart: Taking Center Stage- A Lifetime of Live Performance book

Barney Hoskyns: the oral history of the world's greatest band

Pink Floyd FAQ

The Rolling Stones: The complete recording sessions 1962-2012.

So I have plenty to keep me busy.

Purchased Led Zeppelin: The Oral History of the World's Greatest Rock Band and a fiction chick lit book about the mother of Henry VII. I started in the on the Zeppelin book and will save the paperback for a flight next week.

After reading reviews and comments over the past year on this website about factual errors and embelishments in some of these Zeppelin "history" books, I'm sure some will think I'm wasting my time and money. But I don't care, it's entertainment, isn't it?