Underrated artists/bands

Toften

Underrated or overrated I suppose it depends who you ask. For example head over to a guitar forum and you might be surprised that when Jimmy Page is discussed it's often mentioned he's overrated. Those same guitarists discussing that will likely have a broader appreciation for guitar based music and will swear that a player like Clarence White is criminally underrated. Too often when the question of overrated or underrated is asked people can't put on blinders and answer honestly without personal preference getting in the way. Some musicians can never be overrated due to their immense contribution to music, for example IMO Hendrix should never be considered overrated. Even if you aren't a fan his music and playing changed music forever, there is a clear break in how guitar was played before and after him.

That said these are a few musicians who I feel are truly underrated. The appreciation for their craft is smaller than the quality if their work.

Clarence White. His pioneering guitar work and use of the B-bender should have been right up there with Hendrix as far as importance is concerned. But unless you are a Byrds fan or guitarist who dares to listen to more than hard rock you probably haven't heard of him.

Danny Kirwan. For some reason he doesn't get near as much attention as Peter Green despite playing on the same recordings as Peter, sharing lead guitar duty. Go back and watch as many old Fleetwood Mac vids as you can, you may be surprised to find what you thought was Peter playing may be Danny.

Jesse Ed Davis. Probably best known for his work with Taj Mahal but also played on albums by George Harrison and Clapton but not limited to that, he played on gobs of sessions. This guy was the real deal. Reportedly his playing while participating in the filming of Rock and Roll Circus opened the eyes and ears of Lennon and Clapton who were impressed by his authenticity. While the Brits were capable of a good blues impression Jesse had chops second to nobody, capable of sounding exactly like Hubert Sumlin one minute and Elmore James the next before switching gears to full on chickin pickin the guy was a badass.

Underrated or overrated I suppose it depends who you ask. For example head over to a guitar forum and you might be surprised that when Jimmy Page is discussed it's often mentioned he's overrated. Those same guitarists discussing that will likely have a broader appreciation for guitar based music and will swear that a player like Clarence White is criminally underrated. Too often when the question of overrated or underrated is asked people can't put on blinders and answer honestly without personal preference getting in the way. Some musicians can never be overrated due to their immense contribution to music, for example IMO Hendrix should never be considered overrated. Even if you aren't a fan his music and playing changed music forever, there is a clear break in how guitar was played before and after him.

That said these are a few musicians who I feel are truly underrated. The appreciation for their craft is smaller than the quality if their work.

Clarence White. His pioneering guitar work and use of the B-bender should have been right up there with Hendrix as far as importance is concerned. But unless you are a Byrds fan or guitarist who dares to listen to more than hard rock you probably haven't heard of him.

Danny Kirwan. For some reason he doesn't get near as much attention as Peter Green despite playing on the same recordings as Peter, sharing lead guitar duty. Go back and watch as many old Fleetwood Mac vids as you can, you may be surprised to find what you thought was Peter playing may be Danny.

Jesse Ed Davis. Probably best known for his work with Taj Mahal but also played on albums by George Harrison and Clapton but not limited to that, he played on gobs of sessions. This guy was the real deal. Reportedly his playing while participating in the filming of Rock and Roll Circus opened the eyes and ears of Lennon and Clapton who were impressed by his authenticity. While the Brits were capable of a good blues impression Jesse had chops second to nobody, capable of sounding exactly like Hubert Sumlin one minute and Elmore James the next before switching gears to full on chickin pickin the guy was a badass.

Superb picks. Well done!

Eva Cassidy,unfortunately she passed away at such an early age

She had a beautiful voice. I love " Live At Blues Alley " she does killer versions of Stormy Monday and Fields Of Gold

CCR "underrated"? In Italy I understand but in the U.S.? They're only considered one of the number one singles bands of all time and you can hardly turn on "classic rock" radio without hearing one of their songs every five minutes. "Underrated"? Far from it. I love 'em but they've definitely received their just due, particularly in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm curious how someone that had the first double album to go platinum could be considered "underrated".

Well perhaps they're thinking underrated in the sense that he had great success with Frampton Comes Alive but the rest of his albums really didn't make much of a buzz and they think he's a guitar player worth more notoriety?

Well perhaps they're thinking underrated in the sense that he had great success with Frampton Comes Alive but the rest of his albums really didn't make much of a buzz and they think he's a guitar player worth more notoriety?

He's definately a guitarist of notoriety in my book but that's getting off topic. His previous band Humble Pie falls into the category though. That combination of Marriott and Frampton was awsome.

He's definately a guitarist of notoriety in my book but that's getting off topic. His previous band Humble Pie falls into the category though. That combination of Marriott and Frampton was awsome.

Ohhhh yeah. The crunch of Steve's guitar alongside Peter's jazzy leads was quite wonderful. :D

Ohhhh yeah. The crunch of Steve's guitar alongside Peter's jazzy leads was quite wonderful. :D

Again, off topic but don't you think Frampton would have been a worthy replacement for Mick Taylor ?

If so, I would agree with that. I've only heard a few things here and there over the years but what I've heard sounded like he's still deserving of the recognition brought on by Frampton Comes Alive!, at least as a guitarist. Frampton Comes Alive! was such a huge selling album it will always overshadow Frampton's career no matter what he does.

That's what I was trying to say. Besides Frampton Comes Alive! he isn't well known. I think he is a great guitarist and musician.

That's what I was trying to say. Besides Frampton Comes Alive! he isn't well known. I think he is a great guitarist and musician.

I'd say Frampton Comes Alive! makes him well known not to mention his appearance on The Simpsons as well as a recent Geico commercial. In other words, it's not as though he's some obscure artist very people have heard of. That's kind of hard to do when you're known for having one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

I like Frampton in Humble Pie, but that's mostly because of Steve's presence and significant influence in the material. Frampton's solo stuff does not impress me at all (Frampton Comes Alive included).

I like Frampton in Humble Pie, but that's mostly because of Steve's presence and significant influence in the material. Frampton's solo stuff does not impress me at all (Frampton Comes Alive included).

In all honesty, IMO, Peter is an excellent guitarist. He just has this period of time that is erased in my mind. When he plays lately, other than rehashing that erased timeframe, he plays innovatively and still cranks 'em. His "sit-in's" with others is great.

I had a solo album before his Alive one simply called Frampton's Camel. I liked it but didn't care AT ALL for the live stuff as it appeared on that famous platinum double album of his. Ya know, the one where the photog put vaseline over their lens to make Peter even look more appealing. To the girls or frilly boys anyway. :lol:

In all honesty, IMO, Peter is an excellent guitarist. He just has this period of time that is erased in my mind. When he plays lately, other than rehashing that erased timeframe, he plays innovatively and still cranks 'em. His "sit-in's" with others is great.

I had a solo album before his Alive one simply called Frampton's Camel. I liked it but didn't care AT ALL for the live stuff as it appeared on that famous platinum double album of his. Ya know, the one where the photog put vaseline over their lens to make Peter even look more appealing. To the girls or frilly boys anyway. :lol:

Peter's solo albums prior to "Comes Alive" are all excellent. I highly recommend them. After that he just got too "commercial" for my tastes. But he IS an excellent guitarist and songwriter.

Archived