RED DWARF

leddy

Anyone like This series ?? its been ten years since the last series of this cult classic of Lister, Rimmer, Kyrten and Cat.

They are to do four new episodes with a series after if these are succesful :)

Here is the info from their website

New Red Dwarf Specials Confirmed

Announced by Dave, detailed here.

New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday, Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years.

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials

A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One

The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two

The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference

The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.

The Boys from the Dwarf are back!

Hopefully they can get back to the quality of the first 6 series as I thought they went too drama for series 7 then too broad comedy for series 8, they were still fun but not the quality that drew so many fans IMHO.

My thoughts entirely! I will await the new episodes with hope, but also trepidation! :unsure:

That's fantastic news! I absolutely LOVED Red Dwarf ... although I agree that some of the later series weren't as good.

I wonder which version of Holly they will use; Hattie Hayridge or Norman Lovett? Oh, and I really hope that Dwayne Dibbley makes an appearance!

Memories flooding back ... :lol:

Smoke me a kipper ... I'll be back for breakfast.

Edit: typo

I loved the first few series of Red Dwarf. The first 3 being amongst the funniest comedy shows I've seen. I recorded them and watched them over and over. But for me, it all went downhill when they introduced Kotchanski as a main character. Having her in it ruined the dynamics, imo.

It will be interesting to see what these new episodes are like. Thanks for posting leddy.

Glad there are a few Dwarfee's:),it seems one of the episodes will be the story continues and the other are makings of and different slant etc but its going to be cool :). I agree about Katanski, it did ruin the dynamics, I wouldnt imagine she would be involved(lets hope not) , series 2,3,4 and 5 are wonderful !!

Glad there are a few Dwarfee's:),it seems one of the episodes will be the story continues and the other are makings of and different slant etc but its going to be cool :). I agree about Katanski, it did ruin the dynamics, I wouldnt imagine she would be involved(lets hope not) , series 2,3,4 and 5 are wonderful !!

Agreed!......but surely Series 6 was the best?! :rolleyes:

Agreed!......but surely Series 6 was the best?! :rolleyes:

ikt was a good one !!

Yes

I have series 1 - 8 on video. I think the show suffered more with the loss of Rimmer than the inclusion of Kochanski. I really enjoyed series 8 for the most part.

Here's an interview with Robert Llewellyn: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5QnRfFAzmRE

Agreed there, The loss of old Smeghead was not good .

• 2 years later...

Some good news some 11 years since the last full series and over a year since the three episode mini series.......we have this :)

Cat's back! Craig Charles confirms Red Dwarf is back for a new series... with all your favourite characters set to return

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 2:23 PM on 20th January 2011

Coronation star Craig Charles has stunned Red Dwarf fans by revealing the cult sci-fi show is set to return to our screens for a brand new series next year.

The futuristic BBC comedy - which featured Charles, 46, as Dave Lister, the last remaining human alive - originally ran for eight series over an eleven year period before it was axed in 1999.

Many fans lamented the loss of the sci-fi show, which saw the motley crew of the Red Dwarf mining space ship floating through space with Lister desperate to return to earth, alongside his hologram bunk-mate Rimmer, Holly the computer and the ever cool Cat.

Heading back to Earth: Craig Charles has revealed Red Dwarf will be back for a new series, which the cast will start filming next year

However, in 2009, Freeview channel Dave commissioned three new episodes of the programme to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the show.

And the episode gained record viewings for the channel when they aired over the Easter Break, attracting more viewers than BBC2 and Channel 4 combined.

Now it seems that the unprecedented success of the comeback show Red Dwarf: Back to Earth has led to a new series being commissioned bringing much loved characters including Lister, the Cat and Rimmer back to our screens.

But Charles - who currently plays Weatherfield taxi driver Lloyd Mullaney - is adamant that the new series will only work if it is as funny as the original show.

Back again: Robert Llewellyn (Kryten), Danny John-Jules (Cat) and Craig Charles (Lister) and Chris Barrie (Rimmer) in the comeback show last year

Speaking on Real Radio's breakfast show this week, Charles told presenters Ditchy and Salty: 'It did really well which was really quite weird because we all thought we were just doing it for a laugh.

'It got more viewers than BBC2 and Channel 4 combined on the night which is really good!

Screen star: Craig now appears in Coronation Street

'So they've just commissioned another series of Red Dwarf. We're gonna film at the end of November, December and January.'

Asked whether he thinks Red Dwarf still has a place on our screens, Charles said: 'Well yes only if it's still as funny as it used to be.

'We've gotta recapture the highlights like series 5 series six, that kind of stuff. If we can hit that mark then brilliant. There's no point doing it if it's a bit so-so.'

Liverpuddlian Charles confirmed he will be making a comeback as the leather jacket-wearing Lister in the new series of Red Dwarf, the first series of which first aired in 1988 and gained a cult following throughout the 90's.

When asked whether the Cat, played by Danny John-Jules, and Rimmer, played by Chris Barrie, would be making a return to our screens, Charles said: "Yep, the Cat's coming back!

'Chris Barrie was my favourite. He IS Rimmer. We're all quite like our characters - we're just caricatures of ourselves!'

But fans will be left guessing as to the plot of the new series as Craig has yet to reveal what will happen.

At the end of series eight, the spaceship was overtaken by a mystery virus and the crew all manage to abandoned ship, except for Rimmer who was left stranded alone to face Death - who he had earlier kicked in the groin.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1348939/Craig-Charles-confirms-Red-Dwarf-new-series.html#ixzz1CNosXrs4

Archived