What The Famous Say About Led Zeppelin

SuperDave

Just remembered a thing on MTV with Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra (some 'reality' show). They started jamming and Carmen played the drums, When the Levee breaks.She was pretty good for a Playboy (ups,my boobs are out) model.But Navarro did some stupid guitar solo.

Just remembered a thing on MTV with Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra (some 'reality' show). They started jamming and Carmen played the drums, When the Levee breaks.She was pretty good for a Playboy (ups,my boobs are out) model.But Navarro did some stupid guitar solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQGAAQvrrXQ

Pete Townshend at the inaugural John Peel lecture-

“Did he [Peel] really give Led Zeppelin their big break? I can’t see it myself.”

“I don’t give a s**t about making money,. I think rock music is junk. I am a genius! The Who were OK but without me they would have all ended up working in the flower market, or worse – in Led Zeppelin.”

What a piece of work Pete is! Oh and he also doesn't like ITunes.

I heard a short piece about that on NPR yesterday. I can't find an archived version of the segment on their site at the moment but as I recall, the commentator said Townshend made pretty much the same remarks in regards to signing to a record label back in the 60's.

Pete Townshend at the inaugural John Peel lecture-

“Did he [Peel] really give Led Zeppelin their big break? I can’t see it myself.”

“I don’t give a s**t about making money,. I think rock music is junk. I am a genius! The Who were OK but without me they would have all ended up working in the flower market, or worse – in Led Zeppelin.”

My respect for Pete Townshend just hit an all time low...

My respect for Pete Townshend just hit an all time low...

Remember how Zeppelin held out for so long when it came to licensing their music to iTunes? It was for many of the same reasons. There's lots of people out these days that feel entitled to music and feel they shouldn't have to pay for it. That has to be frustrating for any musician, including Pete Townshend. Jimmy Page has expressed some very similar thoughts. It's a very different game out there now, particularly for folks like Townshend and Page who have seen music media go from reel-to-reel, vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, compact discs to downloads during their respective careers. No one has really figured it out yet but if you're interested in reading them, Bono has some pretty interesting comments about that (as well as the future of U2) he recently shared with The Irish Times.

I don't always agree with everything he says but if he wasn't so outspoken he wouldn't be Pete Townshend.

So true. Just hope he has learned by staying off the internet these days as that got him in a bit of trouble several years ago. :o

Edited by SuperDave

So true. Just hope he has learned by staying off the internet these days as that got him in a bit of trouble several years ago. :o

Everyone (particularly Townshend's detractors) love to leave out the part where he was exonerated of those charges. From his recent comments about iTunes, it's obvious he hasn't stayed off of the internet, nor should he feel compelled to. To read more on his remarks regarding iTunes, you can do so here. There's also a video segment which you can watch at that link. Having watched it myself, I wouldn't say he wasn't a "gentleman" (English or otherwise) but he definitely speaks his mind.

Edited by Jahfin

There was a great YouTube clip of Townshend talking about attending the ARMS concert in NY and seeing the kid next to him point to the stage and yell, "IT'S JIMMY...F***ING...PAGE!!!", as the building literally shook. It was a great anecdote and I wish I could find it, it was from an interview around the time of the O2.

Pete has had plenty of nice things to say about the guys in Zeppelin, even if he's not overly fond of their music...

Everyone (particularly Townshend's detractors) love to leave out the part where he was exonerated of those charges. From his recent comments about iTunes, it's obvious he hasn't stayed off of the internet, nor should he feel compelled to. To read more on his remarks regarding iTunes, you can do so here. There's also a video segment which you can watch at that link. Having watched it myself, I wouldn't say he wasn't a "gentleman" (English or otherwise) but he definitely speaks his mind.

Thanks Jahfin. I'm well aware he was never found guilty of these charges. It was just the idea of what he was probably doing on the internet.

I'm not sure what PT said wrong about ITunes actually. What gives Apple the right to take 30%? What did Apple ever do to help create any of this music which they offer for download?

Not a damned thing. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.......back to the endless praise then.

I'm not sure what PT said wrong about ITunes actually. What gives Apple the right to take 30%? What did Apple ever do to help create any of this music which they offer for download?

Not a damned thing. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.......back to the endless praise then.

I guess the upside to iTunes is that it took a pretty messy situation (ie, filesharing sites such as Napster) and harnessed them into a more user friendly application. I haven't used Spotify yet but from what I understand, it also isn't exactly rewarding when it comes to song royalties. In regards to what Townshend said about iTunes, people tend to see headlines like "Pete Townshend Calls Apple A Digital Vampire" and have an immediate knee-jerk reaction to it without ever actually reading the article (or in the is case, also watching the video). It's also peculiar how Jimmy Page expressed similar thoughts on licensing Zep's music to iTunes and is also paranoid about allowing Zeppelin's music to be used for Guitar Hero and similar games.

Townshend does have some valid concerns, but far too often he acts like an ass! :wacko:

Valid concerns yes, but he does act like an ass. I think its interesting when you've got Pete, Jack Bruce and others saying nasty things about Zeppelin, they sound like bitter old farts.

Edited by ZoSo1960

The singer of my second favourite band...

He shares the shame opinion of Led as me!

Kiss is not one of my favorite bands, but I enjoy some of their stuff. More spectacle than substance for me.

I'm sure you meant "same" and not "shame" in your post.