What The Famous Say About Led Zeppelin

SuperDave

Josh Homme of Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age/Them Crooked Vultures often says he considers Jimi Hendrix the light side of guitar, and Jimmy Page the dark side of guitar, meaning to say that he's heavily influenced by both.

He talks a bit about that in this guitar jam/interview for Guitar Moves in which they are both clearly high...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ben Affleck...

Affleck, a longtime Led Zeppelin fan, admits he was desperate to use the track and vigorously pursued the British rockers to win permission, but they asked him to make a very specific change.

The film showed actor Tate Donovan putting the needle on a record, and Affleck was asked to change the shot to show the needle being placed on the correct spot on the vinyl to correspond to the song's position on 1971 album Led Zeppelin IV.

Affleck agreed and he headed back to the editing suit in order to make the band happy.

He tells the Los Angeles Times, "Zeppelin, to me, is the greatest rock 'n' roll band. People say, 'The Beatles, the Stones.' No. It's Zeppelin... So not only did we have to pay for the song, we had to pay for an effects shot. You have to appreciate their attention to detail, though."

Ben Affleck...

Affleck, a longtime Led Zeppelin fan,

He tells the Los Angeles Times, "Zeppelin, to me, is the greatest rock 'n' roll band. People say, 'The Beatles, the Stones.' No. It's Zeppelin...

+1 Ben!

• 5 years later...

In an article about a recent podcast, Paul Stanley talks about seeing Zep live in 1969:

(https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul-stanley-recalls-seeing-led-zeppelin-for-first-time-to-this-day-ive-never-seen-anything-that-was-that-perfect/)

"To this day, I've never seen anything that was that perfect. Not just in terms of the synchronicity and the fact that everybody was so much on the same playing field — it was the sexual energy that was coming off the stage, the flamboyance, the cocksure attitude. They backed it up. I think they knew how great they were. And I was just…

"First of all, the band was spectacular and played — I won't use any profanity — but they played tighter than a something… So, they were amazing. And Robert Plant was singing like something from another planet. He was hitting notes effortlessly, and there was such bravado in everything they were doing, it just blew me away."

37 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

In an article about a recent podcast, Paul Stanley talks about seeing Zep live in 1969:

(https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul-stanley-recalls-seeing-led-zeppelin-for-first-time-to-this-day-ive-never-seen-anything-that-was-that-perfect/)

"To this day, I've never seen anything that was that perfect. Not just in terms of the synchronicity and the fact that everybody was so much on the same playing field — it was the sexual energy that was coming off the stage, the flamboyance, the cocksure attitude. They backed it up. I think they knew how great they were. And I was just…

"First of all, the band was spectacular and played — I won't use any profanity — but they played tighter than a something… So, they were amazing. And Robert Plant was singing like something from another planet. He was hitting notes effortlessly, and there was such bravado in everything they were doing, it just blew me away."

thanks for this!

On 10/30/2019 at 11:34 AM, SteveZ98 said:

Years ago Stanley talked about the specific date, it was 21.July 1969, NY, Central Park, Schaefer Music Festival.

His memory is mixed up a little bit, they didn´t play WIAWSNB.

10 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

His memory is mixed up a little bit, they didn´t play WIAWSNB.

I was at one of the 7/73 shows at MSG & thought they played WIAWSNB when we got to our seats.

Then again, somebody thought it would be a good idea to eat quaaludes before the show😴

On 11/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, mickey g said:

I was at one of the 7/73 shows at MSG & thought they played WIAWSNB when we got to our seats.

Then again, somebody thought it would be a good idea to eat quaaludes before the show😴

73 MSG- Lucky you!

See, I have no problem with Paul Stanley mixing up details, but there is one thing I can hardly believe. Paul Stanley was 17 years old when he was simply blown away by LZ at this Central Park gig. So I guess the natural reaction of any music loving teenager would have been: I HAVE TO see this Band again whenever I can. Why didn´t he attend the New York concerts in 70, 71, 72 and 73, before things developed with KISS??? Was he too busy writing songs with Gene S. or playing to 25 people with Wicked Lester- screw that, that is just ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Why didn´t he attend the New York concerts in 70, 71, 72 and 73

Good question. I was pretty much stoned every day of the 70s and managed to see every LZ tour except 1977.

Which I still can't remember why, because they did like a week of shows in MSG that June.

6 hours ago, mickey g said:

Good question. I was pretty much stoned every day of the 70s and managed to see every LZ tour except 1977.

Wow, that is amazing. All of them at MSG? Which tour did you like the most? Any favourite memory?

As I was born in 1971, the nearest I got was the Page/Plant concert at the Wiener Stadthalle in 1998. No Quarter was a revelation, still gives me goosebumps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Wow, that is amazing. All of them at MSG? Which tour did you like the most? Any favourite memory?

Yes, it is amazing. 1970, 71 & 73 were at MSG. 1972 at Nassau Coliseum & 1975 was at the L.A. Forum. I'm gonna go with 9/19/70 Evening Show as the best concert I've ever seen. We sat in the second row behind the stage between Jimmy's amps & Bonzo's gong. It felt like we were almost on stage. My favorite memory is when they played Thank You. I was so used to hearing the "acoustic" version on LZII, that when they played it live, it was so freakin' heavy it just blew my mind.

• 9 months later...
On 2/7/2010 at 9:47 AM, kaiser said:

Pete Townshend from Guitar World 10/94:

GW: What's the real story of the guitar solo "I Can't Explain?" It's sometimes attributed to Jimmy Page. Other reports have it that you and Page both cut very similar sounding solos, and no one is sure which one made it to the final mix.

Townshend: The solo? No, the solo's me. Jimmy doesn't play like that.

GW: Thank you. You know, there are those who still insist it's Page.

Townshend: Jimmy was there to play lead guitar, but no, he didn't do the solo. There was a (session) drummer there, too. I can't remember his name. Keith Moon just threw the guy's drums out the door. But Jimmmy was a friend of mine. We'd had a mutual girlfriend; I was going out with her around the time that we made that record. And she'd gone out with Jimmy before and was still, you know... kinda hooked on him - for a little longer than I was comfortable with. Anyway, she was much older than us. We were 19 and 20 and she was about 30. And a very sexy woman! She'd obviously fucked him to death and then proceeded to fuck me to death. And we had her in common. We were both kind of cross-eyed with this woman. So when Jimmy showed up at the studio, we just started to talk about what we always talked about, which was, "How's Anya? What's she going through? Has she called you? Has she called me?" And then I said to him (in affable tones), "What are you doing here?" He said, "I'm here to give some weight to the guitar. I'm going to double the rhythm guitar on the overdubs." And I said, "Oh, great." And he said, "What are you going to play?' "A Rick 12," I told him. And he said, "Oh, okay, I'll play a..." whatever it was. It was all very congenial. But meanwhile, Keith was over in the corner, telling the drummer, "Get out of the fucking studio or I'll kill ya. On a Who record, only Keith Moon plays the drums!" That kind of stuff. And the backing vocals were done by some surf band.

who's anya ive never heard of her