What The Famous Say About Led Zeppelin

SuperDave

I read about Henry Rollins attending one of their shows back in 1977 and being blown away when Jimmy segues from White Summer/Black Mountainside and launches into Kashmir. Love those versions on that tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Noth (Law and Order, Sex and the City) was in Toronto on The Hour show a couple of months ago promoting a charity concert with Sting for a hospital.

He was wearing a Zeppelin shirt under his jacket. Never a fan of the guy but he earned a little respect frm me after that .

well 2 mebers of the who almost left 2 start a band with page, it was John Entwistle and Keith Moon, the name ledzeppelin actuly came frum a coment made by eather Entwistle or Moon (it was sumthing like this bad would go down like a led zeppelin)

If i recall , it was Keith who you would need to take the direct quote from, but it was both Entwistle's and Moon's idea, it was about there new super group(previously called ''The New Yardbirds")conataining, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck. They had mentioned in a joking way that there super-group would go down like a lead zeppelin there manager then suggested to drop the A from lead so that it wouldn't be mis-pronounced as "leed" Zeppelin

-- You may have to check my facts on this, im only getting this information from a School Report i did on them last year

sorry for the topic de-railing :P

• 3 weeks later...
Jimmy lacking improvisation? Hmmm just listen to a live version of No Quarter (especially 1975 or 1977), Since I've Been Loving You, Over The Hills and Far Away, Stairway, D&C.... The list just goes on.

he was lacking improvisation by then when he was 16 i think ritchie meant that

ritchie is one of my most favourite players all the time and i love deep purple and rainbow like zeppelin

thanks for this

Beavis & Butthead said while watching the OTHAFA promo vid for the first box set (the one w/the crop circles on the cover) that "the guys in Zeppelin had sex with chicks, probably more than twice." Heh heh. Heh heh!!

Edited by dpat

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Noth (Law and Order, Sex and the City) was in Toronto on The Hour show a couple of months ago promoting a charity concert with Sting for a hospital.

He was wearing a Zeppelin shirt under his jacket. Never a fan of the guy but he earned a little respect frm me after that .

I watched an episode of The Hour last week where Rush was on . Geddy and Eric were talking how much they love Zep. Geddy went on the tell how he met Robert in a hotel when they were staying in opposite rooms and Roberts had breakfast with him the next morning. Eric also talked about meeting Jimmy on the Page & Plant tour in 1995. He said he was freaking and star struck when Jimmy came over and introduced himself.

I don't have an exact quote but I once heard Rod Stewart say in an interview that he didn't think Robert Plant was a singer who rehearsed much before laying down vocals in the studio.

In an other interview, Rod Stewart said that he thought that Led Zeppelin had a commercial edge that the Jeff Beck Group lacked in part because Page and Plant often used to come to the clubs to watch Jeff Beck's group perform, and took down mental notes of how the audience reacted.

I watched an episode of The Hour last week where Rush was on . Geddy and Eric were talking how much they love Zep. Geddy went on the tell how he met Robert in a hotel when they were staying in opposite rooms and Roberts had breakfast with him the next morning. Eric also talked about meeting Jimmy on the Page & Plant tour in 1995. He said he was freaking and star struck when Jimmy came over and introduced himself.

Don't get me wrong, I have never watched the show, the Hours, and do not know what it is even about. I obviuosly know who Geddy Lee is because I am also a huge Rush fan, but I do not know who the Eric is you are speaking of. Is it perhaps that you meant, Alex, as in Alex Lifeson, the great guitar player from Rush?

That clip was posted on here a while back, so it must have been a rerun that timothy5151 saw.

I don't think Geddy said Robert had breakfast with him the next morning, just that he went up to speak to him when he (GL) was having breakfast with his wife the next day. They were in Morocco.

Sorry I can't solve the Eric/Alex issue as I know nothing about Rush, but they did seem very nice guys!

Just finished reading Bill Grahams autobiography & he dedicates a whole chapter on Zep & the Oakland incident. He was not kind. Here's a little bit:

"Back then, Led Zeppelin was king of the world. They fucked with promoters by cutting costs & cutting corners. When I think back to that that whole incident, I think about the dealer sitting in that hotel room in a cowboy hat,waiting for his twenty-five grand.

It was a time in my life when I had serious personal problems dealing with what I was doing for a living. I didnt like those people. I didnt like their influence on society or their power. I cant say it was Satanistic power. But they thought certain things were cool that definately werent."

Pete Townshend on Jimmy Page in 1990:

"I knew Jimmy Page- Led Zeppelin weren't formed then but I'd seen him in various other bands & if anything his playing slowed down as he got older! He's an extrodinary player, arrogant, flash..."

Edited by kakdaddy

Don't get me wrong, I have never watched the show, the Hours, and do not know what it is even about. I obviuosly know who Geddy Lee is because I am also a huge Rush fan, but I do not know who the Eric is you are speaking of. Is it perhaps that you meant, Alex, as in Alex Lifeson, the great guitar player from Rush?

Sorry about that, I meant Alex. I should have checked my post.

Aquamarine you are right, it was a rerun. I was in a room with a bunch of other people drinking, so I couldn't hear that well.

2 quotes from Eric Clapton from his autobiography that I'm re-reading:

"Though I rated Jeff Beck, and also Jimmy Page, their roots were in rockabilly, while mine were in the blues. I loved what they did, and there was no competiveness between us; we just played different styles"

"One of the songs I had started was coming along quite well, and I was very proud of my inventiveness in the verse. This was "Let It Grow," and it was several years before I realized that I had totally ripped off "Stairway To Heaven;" the famous Zeppelin anthem, a cruel justice as how I'd always been such a severe critic of theirs."

I particularly like the last quote because he probably didnt realize he had subconciously done that until he had to play part of "Stairway" with Jimmy during the ARMs tour.

Alex Lifeson (Rush) talked about Jimmy Page being his biggest influence in this June 1980 Guitar Player interview:

... "Page was probably my greatest influence early on,"affirmed Alex Lifeson of the durable Canadian trio Rush. "Rush startedjust a little before the time Led Zeppelin came out, and when I heardthe first album, I thought, 'They're doing just the things we want todo; they have the sound we want to have.' And if we were that good, wecould have played like that too, if you know what I mean." ...

Alex also mentions his admiration of Page and how he finally got to meet his hero in this March 2006 Guitar Player interview:

... "I wanted to look like him, and play like him and bejust like him," Lifeson remembered his youthful infatuation with Page,which came full circle when they came face to face backstage many yearslater. "You meet your hero, and he's a hero! He was everything I hopedhe would be - I'll never forget that." ...

Alex Lifeson (Rush) talked about Jimmy Page being his biggest influence in this June 1980 Guitar Player interview:

... "Page was probably my greatest influence early on,"affirmed Alex Lifeson of the durable Canadian trio Rush. "Rush startedjust a little before the time Led Zeppelin came out, and when I heardthe first album, I thought, 'They're doing just the things we want todo; they have the sound we want to have.' And if we were that good, wecould have played like that too, if you know what I mean." ...

Alex also mentions his admiration of Page and how he finally got to meet his hero in this March 2006 Guitar Player interview:

... "I wanted to look like him, and play like him and bejust like him," Lifeson remembered his youthful infatuation with Page,which came full circle when they came face to face backstage many yearslater. "You meet your hero, and he's a hero! He was everything I hopedhe would be - I'll never forget that." ...

If any of you are familiar with Rush's first album, listen to the song, "Here Again". Great Bluesy song. The guitar solo is so much Jimmy Page that it is beyond coincidence. Just read the above comment. Alex says he wanted to play like him. On this great Rush song, he does just that. Check it out.

"I wanted to look like him, and play like him and bejust like him," Lifeson remembered his youthful infatuation with Page,which came full circle when they came face to face backstage many yearslater. "You meet your hero, and he's a hero! He was everything I hopedhe would be - I'll never forget that." ...

I remeber reading about Geddy Lee commenting about meeting at Page & Plant on their tour, Geddy & Alex with them right up till they went onstage. Geddy found it remarkable since they would never have friends/guests anywhere near them 30 minutes before show time at a Rush concert.

• 2 weeks later...

Conan O'Brien has mentioned his love for Led Zeppelin several times on his show. He's also mentioned Robert Plant's awesome vocal range.

Tori Amos is a huge Zeppelin fan. She discovered them when she was a young girl. She adores Robert. I know she met him at least once.

Conan O'Brien has mentioned his love for Led Zeppelin several times on his show. He's also mentioned Robert Plant's awesome vocal range.

Tori Amos is a huge Zeppelin fan. She discovered them when she was a young girl. She adores Robert. I know she met him at least once.

She sang a duet with him on Down By The Seaside on the album Encomium.

200pxencomium.jpg