JPJ CONFIRMS NEW SINGER RUMOURS!

Led Nick

Well, this certainly has me very excited for the prospects of what's to come next year. I like the fact they're taking their time in picking a singer....a gig like this comes once in a lifetime and you want the person who gets chosen to be absolutely 100% perfect for it, otherwise it'll fall apart. As much as Zep's music was instrument-driven, it was also all about the vocals.

If this traveling show comes anywhere near my slice of hell, I'm going.

I second that!

The part about wanting to play "loud music" was great!! Hard to believe that JPJ almost confirmed that they would tour very soon.

It's weird, but I want to see them just as much without Plant. Not like the past, when anything short of Plant w/Page wouldn't feel like Zep.

Perhaps it's because so much time has gone by, and all hopes of a Zep reunion seemed silly the last 10 years, or maybe 'cause they're older, or maybe 'cause Page, Jones, and Bonham are having so much fun playing together.....but I'm just as excited and I wonder if we are to expect the same crazy demand for tix as with the O2 show? I think so, I'll go anywhere, pay anything to see these guys with any new singer.

Plant left these 3 guys and us his legacy and genius and lyrics and melodies, and we'll take all of that and remember him and thank him when this new guy is singing "How Many More Times" live. I wish him nothing but the best and he is probably happy for all of us moving forward without him.

No, Jimmy had reported that Jason, John, and him were "jamming" but there were no plans to tour or anything, he didn't mention that they had indeed been working with singers and since Robert hadn't officially dropped out Jimmy was probably still hoping he would join.

That's what I said.

Jimmy said they were playing together but said it was less significant than had been reported, Robert then confirmed that he wasn't on board, so the only new thing here that was confirmed was that they were working with other singers. Robert's official statement--which I can't find :huh: --implied the others were touring, since he said he personally wasn't planning to tour for two years.

And of course Jason said all of what JPJ said, apart from the singer revelations, back in August.

Not as bad as say... Paul Rogers singing for Queen :blink:

I think this guy could pull it off, what ever happened with them?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SKJiVPt-KRQ

or possibly this guy... they do great zep covers and i've been knowing these guys since I was a teenager.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ynD6-jav0U

SPINAL TAP.............this is a wind up right?

Don't forget that Led Zep time ticks by much slower than that of the real world. This could still take months or even years or fizzle out completely.

If it is a plot to tempt Planty back on board I think it'll just make him more stuborn.

I was at the Manson's Guitar show today in Exeter, and during a Q & A session - the last question that was asked was about the 2009 tour rumor.

JPJ said straight out that they have been rehearsing with singers, but he didnt say who they were. He also said when he knows whats happening with the tour next year we will know!

I did take a video of the question & answer and i will post it up on Youtube and post a link as soon as i can.

Edit: here is the link to the video :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dsilRki99fk

Sorry about the view, i was stuck right on the side and thats all i could get.

Great footage!!! Did you not get any of him playing????

NineMSN

Led Zep 'to tour, record without Plant'21:27 AEST Tue Oct 28 2008

Legendary rock band Led Zeppelin are planning to return to recording and touring without singer and frontman Robert Plant, bassist John Paul Jones told BBC radio.

Jones said the hard-rocking British group were trying out different singers to replace Plant, who has repeatedly voiced his reluctance to join in a full reunion after a mammoth one-off gig at the O2 Arena in London last December.

Some 20 million people applied for the 20,000 tickets for the charity concert - the band's first full gig since they split in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham.

Jones said he, guitarist Jimmy Page and Bonham's drummer son Jason were keen to get out playing concerts again - and were not hanging around waiting for Plant to change his mind.

"We are trying out a couple of singers," the 62-year-old said. "We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

Jones said the band were not searching for a Plant replica.

"It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert," he said. "You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band.

"There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

The O2 show - the first time the original three have played together in public for 19 years - was part of a tribute concert for the late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the group in 1968.

Led Zeppelin went on to sell more than 300 million albums worldwide, with Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir among their best-loved songs.

This from ITN a few mins ago. Has JPJ done a further interview? This is more than what he said in Exeter.

Led Zeppelin are planning to reunite and go back on the road - but without frontman Robert Plant.

Zeppelin 'to tour without Plant'

In a recent interview, bassist John Paul Jones said the band were looking for a new singer after Plant ruled himself out of a reunion.

The band last performed together at London's O2 arena in December 2007.

Since then, it's been speculated that Plant, Jones, Jimmy Page and Jason Bonham, son of late drummer John Bonham, would go on tour.

Jones confirmed: "We are trying out a couple of singers. We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

But he admitted the band did not want a carbon copy of Plant.

He said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

Edit to add: Cactus posted at the same time as me. I see from his post that JPJ has done an interview with BBC.

He said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

Interesting quote in my opinion, especially the "everyone has to be on board." To me this leaves some doubt that this will get done or does it mean that they will drag their feet and wait a year and hope Robert has a change of heart?

Don't forget that Led Zep time ticks by much slower than that of the real world. This could still take months or even years or fizzle out completely.

If it is a plot to tempt Planty back on board I think it'll just make him more stuborn.

I agree on the led zep clock, but i' guess they have some good material written. It could come together fairly quick, look at the show in 07.

Plant is definately not interested, from his statement and what jpj said on that video. yeah it would be great if he changed his mind, but after just touring with krauss and t bone...who could expect him to be suddenly out with -led zeppelin w/a new record and tour.

I'm still thinking if they played the same setlist from the 02 show w/jason singing half the songs and stuff like since i've been loving you, stairway, dazed and kashmir as instrumentals...that would be very cool. Plus they could play stuff off -zooma and outrider. I think if they just kept it simple in regards to who's singing, would work better than finding a great singer. Its page and jones and they could let the music itself be the main focus.

Much better than the meaningless uninformative inuendo we have heard from the so-called, self-described, insider (i.e., wanker) experts. Knebby, are you listening? Care to repost any of my old posts?
Any time you like mate. You're a pratt.

NineMSN

Led Zep 'to tour, record without Plant'21:27 AEST Tue Oct 28 2008

Legendary rock band Led Zeppelin are planning to return to recording and touring without singer and frontman Robert Plant, bassist John Paul Jones told BBC radio.

Jones said the hard-rocking British group were trying out different singers to replace Plant, who has repeatedly voiced his reluctance to join in a full reunion after a mammoth one-off gig at the O2 Arena in London last December.

Some 20 million people applied for the 20,000 tickets for the charity concert - the band's first full gig since they split in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham.

Jones said he, guitarist Jimmy Page and Bonham's drummer son Jason were keen to get out playing concerts again - and were not hanging around waiting for Plant to change his mind.

"We are trying out a couple of singers," the 62-year-old said. "We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

Jones said the band were not searching for a Plant replica.

"It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert," he said. "You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band.

"There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

The O2 show - the first time the original three have played together in public for 19 years - was part of a tribute concert for the late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the group in 1968.

Led Zeppelin went on to sell more than 300 million albums worldwide, with Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir among their best-loved songs.

Here's another source, but it's pretty much word for word of the above one.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/081028/worl...sic_ledzeppelin

Interesting quote in my opinion, especially the "everyone has to be on board." To me this leaves some doubt that this will get done or does it mean that they will drag their feet and wait a year and hope Robert has a change of heart?

That extra bit makes a lot of difference to what we all saw on that YouTube clip, doesnt it.....

Zep in search of lead singer

By JASON MACNEIL -- Sun Media

Bassist John Paul Jones announced over the weekend that no lead singer has been decided on with regard to himself, guitarist Jimmy Page and drummer Jason Bonham going back on the road.

During a Q&A session over the weekend at a guitar expo in Devon, England --

-- Jones said "there's no final answer yet."

"As you probably know, Jimmy, Jason and I are actually rehearsing and we've had the odd singer come in and have a bash," Jones said. "As soon as we know -- which we don't -- we will let you know. But we really hope that something is going to happen soon because we really want to do it and we're having a lot of fun, actually, just rehearsing."

Jones also acknowledged Robert Plant won't be returning to the band, but left open the idea Plant could return to the group sometime down the road if he so desired.

"We really want to do something and Robert doesn't want to do this, at least for the moment. I don't really know what his plans are. He really doesn't want to make loud music anymore. We do. I mean, I love acoustic music, but it doesn't stop me from turning something up . . . And what we've done so far sounds absolutely fantastic. When it does come, it will come, and you'll know about it."

The trio and Plant reunited as Led Zeppelin in December 2007 at London's O2 Arena for a special one-off benefit concert. Plant put to rest any notion he was rejoining the band for a world tour earlier this year.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/L/Led_Ze...224371-sun.html

Fab news, thanks for the link of the interview...Really going to be exciting what the music is going to sound like :)

Two things 1) I hope its not S Tyler that sings with them, I like Aerosmith but have heard him sing Zep and it kinda grates on me with his shrieking.

2) can all the backbiting, bickereing and insults on here now stop !!!!!!!

Roll on Album and tour :)

I think the whole situation is very frustrating. Page, Jones, and Bonham obviously want to reform but Plant doesn't. It's really a shame they can't agree. Personally, a new Led Zeppelin album without Plant would be a hard pill to swallow. I sure hope Robert comes around.

Actually had a dream last night that I was watching Zep rehearse some new songs in a large outdoor arena. Sure enough, I was happy to find Plant at the helm.

I think the whole situation is very frustrating. Page, Jones, and Bonham obviously want to reform but Plant doesn't. It's really a shame they can't agree. Personally, a new Led Zeppelin album without Plant would be a hard pill to swallow. I sure hope Robert comes around.

I like to think that the guys are smarter than trying to call it Led Zeppelin, but it's their call and if they feel what they have is worth of that name, then so be it. Based on what we're hearing, I'm hoping for new music with a different name and if they want to play some Zep while on tour, that's even better. Like others I can't picture them calling it Zeppelin with Plant not on board. I'm just excited to hear some official word that something is going on, but it remains to be seen what will come of it.

A new news story related to this:

Harvey Goldsmith: Led Zeppelin Tour Is Pointless Without Robert Plant

He dismisses getting a new singer...

by Scott Colothan

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More Led Zeppelin

Harvey Goldsmith, the man behind Led Zeppelin's reunion show at the O2 Arena last December, has said touring without Robert Plant would be 'pointless'.

The band's bassist John-Paul Jones sensationally revealed at the weekend that the remaining members of Led Zeppelin are hoping to tour in the future and are set to audition for a new singer.

Speaking at the MusExpo conference in London, Goldsmith expressed major doubts about the proposed tour minus singer Robert Plant who has ruled out a reunion.

He said: "I certainly don't think they should do a big tour because I can't see the point of it... "I doubt it will be called Led Zeppelin."

No compelling reason

Goldsmith continued that unless there was a “compelling reason” to do the tour, then it shouldn't go ahead.

He told BBC News: "I think some of the band really want to go out and do it and other parts of the band need to understand why they're doing it, and if there's no compelling reason to do it, then they shouldn't do it.

"I think that there is an opportunity for them to go out and present themselves. I don't think a long rambling tour is the answer as Led Zeppelin."

"It's a question of whether they want to do it, and you've got to want to do it. Otherwise it's done for the wrong reasons, and when things are done for the wrong reasons, they don't work."

Archived