JPJ CONFIRMS NEW SINGER RUMOURS!

Led Nick

This from ITN a few mins ago. Has JPJ done a further interview? This is more than what he said in Exeter.

But he admitted the band did not want a carbon copy of Plant.

He said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board[/b]."

Is he referring to a tour and a record that has to have everyone on board, including Robert?

For some of us, we waited for a Zeppelin reunion tour all our lives.

Without Plant touring with them, we'll still be waiting.

I'd rather keep the memory of their music and not ever see them reunite than see the remaining members whore the name out in a cash grab tour and go out and use the Zeppelin name to make buck.

If they tour without Plant and use the Zeppelin name, they might as well play the State Fairs.

i cant believe that i dont like plant anymore ive been waiting my life for this and robert ruins it

Grow up.

Ruined what?

The fact is he was the first to announce his intentions and while it was bad news for some at the same time it was a relief to put an end to the constant speculation of will there or won't there be a reunion.

Like others I can't picture them calling it Zeppelin with Plant not on board.

It's already not Zeppelin with Jason Bonham on board. That's not meant to be disrespectful towards him but Led Zeppelin as we know it ceased to exist when John Bonham died.

With all do respect mate it's not THEY, but rather HE! I share your frustations too. But do we as fans want to hear a reluctant lead singer mail it in night after night, I DON'T! Afterall, Led Zeppelin for me has always been about the music. The music being played by 3 very talented MUSICIANS. Having JPJ in the fold changes the hole dynamic. Him being on board with his brilliant playing, certainly ups the ante on this project tremendously. His class and professionalism in the studio will bring out the best in Jason and Jimmy.

To me Jones seems like the ex member with the most to offer creatively right now aswell, his solo albums while a little too "progish" for me in places were the best new material any of them have come up with in ages, possibley since the breakup. That could provide the extra spark that seemed to be missing with Walking to Clarksdale.

For some of us, we waited for a Zeppelin reunion tour all our lives.

Without Plant touring with them, we'll still be waiting.

I'd rather keep the memory of their music and not ever see them reunite than see the remaining members whore the name out in a cash grab tour and go out and use the Zeppelin name to make buck.

If they tour without Plant and use the Zeppelin name, they might as well play the State Fairs.

You have nothing to worry about. Led Zeppelin is no more. Never again will 4 musicians play together under the name of Led Zeppelin. Unless Robert changes his mind. Again. And if they deside to use the name. Again. And even then it's not really Led Zeppelin is it? Or is it?

This has become reguritated fan banter. Not trying to insult anyone's opinion. Just fed up with the whole thing.

Wait a bit, and something new will come.

Be happy. :D

Is he referring to a tour and a record that has to have everyone on board, including Robert?

Seems a bit funny for me to try interpreting what was said with the English language not being my mother tongue, but, after all, interpreter I am. :D

I guess he refers to "everything should be done right and everyone should take one's proper place", no? Saying they do not want Robert's copycat does not mean they still want Robert in flesh, does it?

You have nothing to worry about. Led Zeppelin is no more. Never again will 4 musicians play together under the name of Led Zeppelin. Unless Robert changes his mind. Again. And if they deside to use the name. Again. And even then it's not really Led Zeppelin is it? Or is it?

This has become reguritated fan banter. Not trying to insult anyone's opinion. Just fed up with the whole thing.

Wait a bit, and something new will come.

Be happy. :D

Totally agree. Try this. :stereo: Or this :suntan: Led them all sort it out by themselves. ;)

It's already not Zeppelin with Jason Bonham on board. That's not meant to be disrespectful towards him but Led Zeppelin as we know it ceased to exist when John Bonham died.

You OBVIOUSLY didnt go to the O2 concert then, Jason was a more that what i expected, remember its in his DNA. Led Zeppelin still live.

"It doesn't stop me really liking turning something up and just thrashing the hell out if."

Happy happy, joy joy!

:D

how could they possibly have kept the identity in the bag for this long???

Maybe they haven't firmed anything up yet.

I understand where you are coming from and I know other people feel this way. Then there are people like myself who feel the opposite. It's been mentioned before in the discussion of Bonzo and Jason, but at Knebworth, Bonham was standing out in the field during a sound check while Jason was on drums and Bonham remarked to someone it was the first time he'd seen Led Zeppelin play. I thought Jason did great at the O2, but I understand how some feel about anyone besides Bonzo means it isn't Zeppelin.

Interesting analysis of Situation form the LA Times:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog...lin-withou.html

Led Zeppelin, apparently, is mulling a new album and a tour, but without its defining vocalist, Robert Plant. Giving some heft to longstanding rumors, bassist John Paul Jones was quoted on a BBC Radio report as revealing that the band has been auditioning lead singers. Maybe Leona Lewis is booked.

But despite the BBC's defining headline of "Zeppelin to go back on the road," nothing appears imminent.

"It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert," Jones said, adding, "You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. ... There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

Wired's Listening Post beat Pop & Hiss to asking readers if it's Zeppelin without Plant, but no bother. The answer is no -- credit Jones for already acknowledging the dreaded "tribute band" tag. But because there's no new Plant-less Zeppelin music to discuss at the moment, here's five ways to help ensure that Led Zep 2.0 has a fighting chance at working.

1. Don't get anyone who sounds like Plant. Not only are the man's vocals instantly recognizable, but any singer who's even remotely similar is going to veer the project straight into tribute band territory. For the new project to work, it needs to be a complete band, not just the leftover Zep members recording music with someone who kinda-sorta sounds like Plant.

2. Don't call it Led Zeppelin. Let it stand on its own, and not have to live up to every piece of music in the Zeppelin back catalog. Calling it Led Zeppelin is also a disservice to the fans who have been waiting for a reunion tour. Let's be clear: In no way, shape or form is it Led Zeppelin. Its two original members + the drummer's son + someone who's not Robert Plant, and all of that = a band that's not Led Zeppelin.

3. Don't fast-track it. Reunion rumors have been circulating for nearly a year now, stretching back to when the band played a London benefit last December. Surely the pressure is on for the act to get on the road. But since this is not Led Zeppelin (see No. 2), it's going to take time for this new, as-yet-unnamed act to find its footing. Target 2011, which also gives Plant time to change his mind.

4. If this tour does happen, focus on the new album, not Zeppelin material. In fact, don't play any Zeppelin songs until the encore, or near it. Keep focused on the new material. If the band is going through the trouble of recording a new effort, don't pull a Rolling Stones and simply use the album as an excuse to tour and play old Zeppelin material. Sure, "Whole Lotta Love" will get a big rise out of the crowd, but that's taking the easy way out. Zeppelin built its fan-base by challenging it. Has the desire now for some sort of Zeppelin reunion run so deep that fans wouldn't even care who's voicing the songs?

5. Keep tickets under $50. It's one thing to gouge fans for a long-awaited reunion that may never happen again. Led Zeppelin fans would be all too happy to give the band a victory lap. But if Jones and Jimmy Page end up touring the world with a new band, price it as such. Selling high-priced tickets based on decades-old Zeppelin hits, and doing so with someone other than Plant, is essentially forcing fans to pay for a touring Las Vegas show. The millions of Zeppelin fans who couldn't see the act last December deserve more.

--Todd Martens

Target date 2011? Is this guy out of his mind. I say grab a singer and lay down the tracks and rock on. Don't play any Zeppelin songs until the encore? Not even one? Jimmy and Jonsey gel together on Zep stuff and it's in their blood. We as fans would be deprived. I'm all for new music AND hearing every track played live but they would have to mix in some classics.

Why does everybody think that JP and JPJ equal Led Zeppelin? Anyone who thinks that is a moron. Let them do their new project together with a drummer who has a famous last name and enjoy it or not on it's own merits.

Jimmy and Jonsey equal two great musicians. I am stoked to hear some new music from them. I don't care what they call it, but I'll bet 10 to 1 odds it will be stellar. I guess people just automatically relate the two of them to Zep naturally because of their history, but their is no doubt without Robert, it's not Led Zeppelin.

I think Todd Martens made a lot of good points.

I'd call him out on the "gouging" reference, though, if it was intended to refer to the O2. The tickets were expensive, sure, but it was a tribute concert for charity, not to line their pockets, and the tickets were priced at a level that millions of people were apparently willing to pay (which equals fair market value).

A Las Vegas revue?

God, people have awful opinions of Jones, Page and Bonham. Wow.

I hope they come out, with a singer who really wants to turn it up and thrash it, and KICK ASS.

In 2009, please.

B)

Edited to add -and yeah, play as much of that music you created as you like. I can't wait to hear it done right by the originators!

A Las Vegas revue?

God, people have awful opinions of Jones, Page and Bonham. Wow.

I hope they come out, with a singer who really wants to turn it up and thrash it, and KICK ASS.

In 2009, please.

B)

Edited to add -and yeah, play as much of that music you created as you like. I can't wait to hear it done right by the originators!

No different then your opinion of Robert,I guess. :rolleyes:

I certainly agree with the notion that any further releases of an album, or a tour, needs to be handled very carefully. They have a legacy to protect, and Led Zeppelin was always a band with tremendous creative integrity. I fully trust Jimmy and John Paul in that regard, however.

Archived