Mental Illness Thread

The Bomber

Hello,i've been away for some time,this is a thread for everyone with a mental illness,I have always been depressed,several times i contemplated suicide and even made one attempt (Saved by a friend) I am now getting professional help,I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and schizophrenia,also apparently i am an ex multiple personality disorder sufferer,which i overcame without medical help which is "A testament to my strength of mind" (Or so my shrink says) and am on the meds,my friends have been supportive,my family doesn't know and i don't plan to tell them because i can function normally anyway,this thread is for people with any mental diseases,or friends/family of anyone with mental illness or learning disability,for support because believe me,i know how tough it is.

You and I have touched on this in the past Bomber but I don't have it in me at the moment. I will say that I'm glad you've gotten help and have found the will to discuss it openly. Welcome back BTW :)

Did they try varioud anti depressants? If so, do you think any of them work? I thought I had a tough time after my divorce 7 years ago and a Dr put me on prozac. It really seemed to help

They didn't try various ones because they are afraid of what my reaction would be to them,also,crossing schizophrenia medication with anti-depressants could be a bad idea,so they only have me on schizophrenia medication,the dosage got lowered recently :D They said that in a few more weeks they're considering introducing an anti-depressant.

They didn't try various ones because they are afraid of what my reaction would be to them,also,crossing schizophrenia medication with anti-depressants could be a bad idea,so they only have me on schizophrenia medication,the dosage got lowered recently :D They said that in a few more weeks they're considering introducing an anti-depressant.

Have they tested your blood sugar ? I've had some experience dealing with people with this condition and have been told by the society that increasing sugar levels from time to time can help control violent episodes. I have actually used this method to avoid potential problems.

Hello,i've been away for some time,this is a thread for everyone with a mental illness,I have always been depressed,several times i contemplated suicide and even made one attempt (Saved by a friend) I am now getting professional help,I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and schizophrenia,also apparently i am an ex multiple personality disorder sufferer,which i overcame without medical help which is "A testament to my strength of mind" (Or so my shrink says) and am on the meds,my friends have been supportive,my family doesn't know and i don't plan to tell them because i can function normally anyway,this thread is for people with any mental diseases,or friends/family of anyone with mental illness or learning disability,for support because believe me,i know how tough it is.

I've lived with someone with this condition, you should tell your family. But it's your decission just MHO. :unsure:

I've lived with someone with this condition, you should tell your family. But it's your decission just MHO. :unsure:

Yeah, you should Bomber. They may be more supportive than you think

Have they tested your blood sugar ? I've had some experience dealing with people with this condition and have been told by the society that increasing sugar levels from time to time can help control violent episodes. I have actually used this method to avoid potential problems.

They've said they will,It's been about 3 months since I started going to a psychiatrist and i've only been on meds for a month,it's gonna happen soon though,thanks.

I feel for you, it sounds like you've had a really tough time. I've been clinically depressed my whole life. My brother had it way worse, he had schizophrenia and was very, very sick. I finally saw a psychiatrist about 10 years ago, have been on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers since then, and it's made a big difference in my quality of life. A mistake I've made twice was thinking that I was better and didn't need the meds, stopping them, then hitting bottom again and having to go back on them. I used to think that taking the meds was a sign of weakness and that I should be able to control it on my own. But I'm learning to get over my ego and realize that it's best for me to stay on the meds. Each person has to make their own decision in this regard, but it's like any other disease of the body, it's just that there is still such a stigma attached to mental illness. It's good that you've told your friends, even though you haven't told your family. Having someone to talk to who understands your condition is important. I hope you hang in there with your medical professional and continue getting help.

Good luck with your meds. The stigma lies in the word...mental. It really should be brain illness, since it is in your brain, and that is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Chemical imbalances in the brain are real, and taking a medication for it is no different than a diabetic taking insulin.

It is just a body organ that is in need of balancing the neurotransmitters.

IMHO, family should be aware because they are sometimes contributing factors, and they NEED to understand, rather than criticize. I would provide them literature to help them understand.

Tell them to attend a NAMI meeting for families, they will get support themselves and see that it is real and they are not alone.

I have panic attacks, been on meds for it, lowest possible dose, and it does indeed help.

You cannot meditate your panic away either, as many therapists try to get you to do. It helps but does not take the unexpected panic attacks away.

Keep on truckin' there Bomber, it will get better.

* and frankly, I think the board has plenty of company with brain illness *

:toast:

Good luck with your meds. The stigma lies in the word...mental. It really should be brain illness, since it is in your brain, and that is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Chemical imbalances in the brain are real, and taking a medication for it is no different than a diabetic taking insulin.

It is just a body organ that is in need of balancing the neurotransmitters.

IMHO, family should be aware because they are sometimes contributing factors, and they NEED to understand, rather than criticize. I would provide them literature to help them understand.

Tell them to attend a NAMI meeting for families, they will get support themselves and see that it is real and they are not alone.

I have panic attacks, been on meds for it, lowest possible dose, and it does indeed help.

You cannot meditate your panic away either, as many therapists try to get you to do. It helps but does not take the unexpected panic attacks away.

Keep on truckin' there Bomber, it will get better.

* and frankly, I think the board has plenty of company with brain illness *

:toast:

It is very possible to reduce and control panic without medication.

Overcoming the "fear of fear" is possible

If you use beta blockers for panic then they can help but it does noting to help people conquer the fear of having another panic attack. That takes psychological strength.

Bomber, it sounds as if something positive is beginning to happen but considering you have been given several mental disorder labels for your experience, it must be hard to decide what is best for you or how to treat it.

Not sure how you can be an ex multiple personality disorder though, who gave you that disgnosis?

Psychiatrists often use differential diagnoses when they aren't sure what the real issue is.

Some who develop schizophrenia can experience depressive symptoms in the early stages but some people can have psychotic depressiions where they aren't just depressed but expereience voices or other hallucinations or paranoid ideas. Treat the depression and the psychosis can reduce or go. A mixture of antipsychotics and antidepressants can help but its knowing which comes first to treat effectively and there can be issues in using both at the same time for some people because of unwanted side effects.

I would hope that your antipsychotic medication helps but if there is no psychosis then usually they don't do much. Perhaps an antidepressant would be a better option for some in your position but they need to be taken for several months minimum for them to be effective.

make sure you get your psychiatrist to explain the treatments and side effects to you to help you to decide what is right for you.

The stigma of mental illness stops many people admitting to those close to them they have a problem but there is alot more information and support around these days both for the individuals and their families.

Good luck in trying to overcome your difficulties.

:rolleyes: I've actually been thinking of you Bomber and had much I was going to say, but after reading Ledded's post I must say that he has hit the nail on the head. He is giving you great advice and you should take what he say's seriously. The only thing that I will add, try to involve your parents. One at a time or both together but involve them. I can appreciate why you may think that involving them may be too big a bridge to cross. Your an Irishman with a proud heritage. Listen Bomber I was born a Scot, with a family that was way too fucking proud. I think you can relate to what I mean by that. My youngest son and our family are dealing with a situation together at the moment. I thank god or whatever higher authority anyone wants to believe in, that he had the courage and the sense of love to come to us.. Parents are much tougher than you may think

Hi all,

Hello,i've been away for some time,this is a thread for everyone with a mental illness,I have always been depressed,several times i contemplated suicide and even made one attempt (Saved by a friend) I am now getting professional help,I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and schizophrenia,also apparently i am an ex multiple personality disorder sufferer,

you have done some great things.You have a friend,you have gotten professional help.Do you know that you saved yourself?Take credit for that!Hoo-Ray! :thumbsup::console::thanku:

which i overcame without medical help which is "A testament to my strength of mind" (Or so my shrink says)

It is.And drop the 'shrink' stuff.They are telling you the truth.You did it.Got it?

and am on the meds,my friends have been supportive,my family doesn't know and i don't plan to tell them because i can function normally anyway,

One thing at a time.Normally?Your doing just fine.Your getting the help you need,your friends are supporting you.Since you need to get yourself together and since you know how your family *might* or might not react,....one step at a time,take care of your self.First.And foremost.

My email is kbvrod@verizon.net if you need an a-hole to talk to.

Chin-up,KB

Hi all,

you have done some great things.You have a friend,you have gotten professional help.Do you know that you saved yourself?Take credit for that!Hoo-Ray! :thumbsup::console::thanku:

It is.And drop the 'shrink' stuff.They are telling you the truth.You did it.Got it?

One thing at a time.Normally?Your doing just fine.Your getting the help you need,your friends are supporting you.Since you need to get yourself together and since you know how your family *might* or might not react,....one step at a time,take care of your self.First.And foremost.

My email is kbvrod@verizon.net if you need an a-hole to talk to.

Chin-up,KB

Right on KB.

You know what sucks eh?

Some totally *uck the world over with insane ideas

and when the populous buckles from the pressure

the populous wears the labels.

A new form of designer genes?

You aren't mentally ill. You are human with a heart that can't handle the hell.

There are a heck of a lot of people working on making things better.

When they get better, you'll feel better. I promise.

I feel for you, it sounds like you've had a really tough time. I've been clinically depressed my whole life. My brother had it way worse, he had schizophrenia and was very, very sick. I finally saw a psychiatrist about 10 years ago, have been on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers since then, and it's made a big difference in my quality of life. A mistake I've made twice was thinking that I was better and didn't need the meds, stopping them, then hitting bottom again and having to go back on them. I used to think that taking the meds was a sign of weakness and that I should be able to control it on my own. But I'm learning to get over my ego and realize that it's best for me to stay on the meds. Each person has to make their own decision in this regard, but it's like any other disease of the body, it's just that there is still such a stigma attached to mental illness. It's good that you've told your friends, even though you haven't told your family. Having someone to talk to who understands your condition is important. I hope you hang in there with your medical professional and continue getting help.

Depression sucks,and I know what you mean about the "it's a weakness" mentallity :( it's such a stigma,isn't it?my family wouldn't uderstannd,they'd disown me,and there's a little more than paranoia talking,my dad once said "all schizophrenics should be shot because they're a danger to society" :( i AM considering it though!

Thank you all :)

You know what sucks eh?

Some totally *uck the world over with insane ideas

and when the populous buckles from the pressure

the populous wears the labels.

A new form of designer genes?

You aren't mentally ill. You are human with a heart that can't handle the hell.

There are a heck of a lot of people working on making things better.

When they get better, you'll feel better. I promise.

I think I understand what you're saying. I really like your statement "You are human with a heart that can't handle the hell."

The problem with clinical depression (in my own experience) is that things can be going very well in my world, but it doesn't matter, I'm still clinically depressed. It's a chemical imbalance. It's not like a "normal" short-lived depression, where you lose your job, or you get a divorce, or something similar, and then you go through a totally necessary period of depression from which you can expect to recover.

Clinical depression can be completely debilitating, and it doesn't need a reason to exist. I can ask myself, "What the hell is wrong with you? You've got so much to be thankful for. An amazing husband you're crazy about, who loves you back. Beautiful children and precious grandchildren." But the chemical imbalance in my brain keeps me from enjoying life and even makes me want to die so I won't have to suffer anymore.

I don't claim to be an expert in psychiatry, I'm just speaking from 40+ years of personal experience with clinical depression. And I want to do whatever I can to support others who are going through the same thing.

Edited by Mernie