Mental Illness Thread

The Bomber

Oh my, that is quite a shocking and saddening ordeal for you. I wish I could give you all the resources to finally end it. I really do.

But please know that all those murders, that burglary, your mother being ill, it's really isn't any of your fault, it really isn't. That is a huge burden for anybody to carry. Please know that those unfortunate events had to happen to such person and it's unjust that it happened, and it's not anything you did.

Now, please, you need to realize you had a setback. You didn't fail, you just got set back. Once you realize this, you can always go back to school. You can always pick up the pieces and go back to where it started to go wrong.

You have a strong spirit too because you refuse to let it all go wrong again. This attitude, even if you don't believe it, will help you in the end. It really will.

It's so difficult to pick our feet up and move to the next level of our lives, but it's not impossible. What we all need in life is trusted people who will support us. When we have social support, we feel encouraged enough to try again.

It might sound intimidating, but perhaps a visit to an alternative doctor can perhaps help. I mean, anxiety is a serious deal and I think you need a second opinion.

I am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

I really wish I could take it all away.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say those things. That means a lot to me :)

Do you mean a doctor in alternative medicine? I've never really thought about that, so, thanks, I'll give that a bit of thought.

I know I can't help people personally, and I'm about as tactful as the Duke of Edinburgh, but if there's one thing that I hope to see, it would be having Mental Illness lose the taboo tag it carries. People should never be afraid or ashamed of having any kind of mental illness. And, if and when they're ready, it should be spoken about.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say those things. That means a lot to me :)

Do you mean a doctor in alternative medicine? I've never really thought about that, so, thanks, I'll give that a bit of thought.

I know I can't help people personally, and I'm about as tactful as the Duke of Edinburgh, but if there's one thing that I hope to see, it would be having Mental Illness lose the taboo tag it carries. People should never be afraid or ashamed of having any kind of mental illness. And, if and when they're ready, it should be spoken about.

You're very, very welcome.

I did mean a doctor in alternative medicine if the conventional methods don't work.

I also wish to see the mental illness taboo tag erased, but that happens with education and tolerance. If people are ignorant and intolerant, they have a lot more problems than the ones with the 'illness'.

• 5 weeks later...

as part of ongoing treatment for anxiety and depression, i am taking seroxat (known in the US as paxil)

it is a form of paroxetene which is an ssri

it takes time to start working, but is pretty effective

the main side effect i am having is short term memory loss, but that's about it

:slapface:

Edited by caroselambra~

I have to confess that I do have a mental illness. It's very shameful for me to talk about it, so I won't... but I've read this entire thread and it gives me comfort to know that there are more than just a few of us on here with mental illness. :)

It's alright. I won't judge you. You've come a long way, and you are living with it. That is remarkable enough.

as part of ongoing treatment for anxiety and depression, i am taking seroxat (known in the US as paxil)

it is a form of paroxetene which is an ssri

it takes time to start working, but is pretty effective

the main side effect i am having is short term memory loss, but that's about it

:slapface:

Well, I know there's some controversy over the meds, but as long as you're feeling as if you're healing and taking the meds properly, that is what matters.

It's kinda sad that I actually had thoughts of hanging myself last month. My mother would say that I'm mentally ill when i think that.....maybe it's depression? I don't know. I've always had ADD, but I've controlled in the past 3 years.

I still have faint thoughts of suicide.

It's kinda sad that I actually had thoughts of hanging myself last month. My mother would say that I'm mentally ill when i think that.....maybe it's depression? I don't know. I've always had ADD, but I've controlled in the past 3 years.

I still have faint thoughts of suicide.

I am sorry for how you're feeling, but I can't be qualified to help you.

If you can relate this depression to an event you experienced, it'd be different than clinical depression

A therapist would help you, and there should be therapists who have you pay only what you can afford [so it doesn't have to be expensive]

talk about what yI am proud of your perseverance, as having to quit school. I felt so angry with myseland please persist even through the hardest of times.

ou've gone through, and remain councellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the selfless in your hope of helping others - well, we need more people like you in society. I can't begin to imagine how horrific your ordeal has been, but I commend you on being open with us

I had a nervous talk about what yI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

ou've gone through, and remain councellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the selfless in your hope of helping others - well, we need more people like you in society. I can't begin to imagine how horrific your ordeal has been, but I commend you on being open with us

I had a nervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

What really tore at me, more than being depressed or anxinervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectiveas having to quit school. I felt so angry with myselly abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

ous, was having to quit school. I felt so angry with myself that I couldn't carry on, mentally and emotionally, with my schoolwork and that I wasn't on the same level as my peergroup. I felt such a desperation that I was never gonna be on shocking and saddening ordeal for you. I wish the same level as all those people, and I felt like such a failure. I still do. As trivial as it sounds, that anger and sadness stuck with me for a long time.

I've done doctors, physcologists, councellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the worst one yet.

I became so dependant on my first set of medication that when I went off them I needed sleeping pills to help me sleep. I mean, my doctor just gave me these little red pills, take one a day before bedtime, and I'd be out for 12 hours. I kid you not. By the time I wentcouncellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the off them, because I believe they were starting to do more harm than good, I needed sleeping pills to help me sleep at night.

I'm not 100% and I don't suppose I ever will be, but I'm fighting everyday to make sure I don't go back to how it began. I refuse to be too afraid to leave my house. I refuse to be so anxious that concentration is near impossible. I refuse to eat so little that I lose drastic weight.

Oh my, that is quite a shockiI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

ng and saddening ordeal for you. I wish I could give you all the resources to finally end it. I really do.

But please know that all those murders, that burglary, your mother being ill, it's really isn't any of your fault, it really isn't. Tas having to quit school. I felt so angry with myselhat is a huge burden for anybody to carry. Please know that those unfortunate events had to happen to such person and it's unjust that it happened, and it's not anything you did.

Now, please, you need to realize you had a setback. You didnI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

't fail, you just got set back. Once you realize this, you can always go back to school. You can always pick up the pieces and go back to where it started to go wrong.

You have a strong spirit too becaI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

use you refuse to let shocking and saddening ordeal for you. I wish it all go wrong again. This attitude, even if you don't believe it, will help you in the end. It really will.

It's so difficult to pick our feet up and move to the next level of our lives, but it's not impossible. What we all need in life is trusted people who will support us. When we have social support, we feel encouraged enough to try again.

It might sound intimidating, but perhaps a visit to an alternative doctor can perhaps help. I mean, anxiety is a serious deal and I think you need a second opinion.

I am proud of your perseverance, and pleaseI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

persist even through the hardest of times.

I really wish It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this I could take it all away.

breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

What really tore at me, more than being depressed or anxinervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

ous, was having to quit school. I felt so angry with myself that I couldn't carry on, mentally and emotionally, with my schoolwork and that I wasn't on the same level as my peergroup. I felt such a desperation that I was never gonna be on shocking and saddening ordeal for you. I wish the same level as all those people, and I felt like such a failure. I still do. As trivial as it sounds, that anger and sadness stuck with me for a long time.

I've done doctors, physcologists, councellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the worst one yet.

I became so dependant on my first set of medication that when I went off them I needed sleeping pills to help me sleep. I mean, my doctor just gave me these little red pills, take one a day before bedtime, and I'd be out for 12 hours. I kid you not. By the time I wentcouncellors, therapy, medication, self-help, change of diet, excercise - oh, how they said that was the holy grail for depression -, etc. All to no avail, so to speak. It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this year has been the off them, because I believe they were starting to do more harm than good, I needed sleeping pills to help me sleep at night.

I'm not 100% and I don't suppose I ever will be, but I'm fighting everyday to make sure I don't go back to how it began. I refuse to be too afraid to leave my house. I refuse to be so anxious that concentration is near impossible. I refuse to eat so little that I lose drastic weight.

Oh my, that is quite a shockiI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

ng and saddening ordeal for you. I wish I could give you all the resources to finally end it. I really do.

But please know that all those murders, that burglary, your mother being ill, it's really isn't any of your fault, it really isn't. That is a huge burden for anybody to carry. Please know that those unfortunate events had to happen to such person and it's unjust that it happened, and it's not anything you did.

Now, please, you need to realize you had a setback. You didnI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

't fail, you just got set back. Once you realize this, you can always go back to school. You can always pick up the pieces and go back to where it started to go wrong.

You have a strong spirit too becaI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

use you refuse to let shocking and saddening ordeal for you. I wish it all go wrong again. This attitude, even if you don't believe it, will help you in the end. It really will.

I am proud of your perseverance, and pleaseI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

I really wish It's taken the edge off it, but it hasn't gone away. In fact, I'd say this I could take it all away.

:mellow:

talk about what yI am proud of your perseverance, as having to quit school. I felt so angry with myseland please persist even through the hardest of times.

I had a nervous talk about what yI am proud of your perseverance, and please persist even through the hardest of times.

I had a nervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

What really tore at me, more than being depressed or anxinervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectiveas having to quit school. I felt so angry with myselly abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

But please know that all those murders, that burglary, your mother being ill, it's really isn't any of your fault, it really isn't. Tas having to quit school. I felt so angry with myselhat is a huge burden for anybody to carry. Please know that those unfortunate events had to happen to such person and it's unjust that it happened, and it's not anything you did.

breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

What really tore at me, more than being depressed or anxinervous breakdown in 2004. I was 18 and one morning I woke up and it was like my world just slowly crumbled around me. I can't say why it happened, because I've never really known. I suppose there were a lot of factors. My house was broken into whilst we slept, which really fucked me up. I knew two people who were murdered - one a school friend and one a work colleague. I lost a family member at 9. Another family member effectively abandoned us. My mother has been seriously ill on/off for as long as I can remember.

:mellow:

I'm sorry,

what is this?

and with a huge question mark.

Hi all,

Today has been a particularly bad day. I felt myself slip into a self-loathing kind of depression and did something to myself I hadn't done in a while.

I'm still kind of mopey right now. I can't seem to shake myself out of it.

As I have stated before,you can ALL PM,write to me about this.No problem,glad to help.

And to all those who think we do not have problems,we do,...same as you,....it is a degree,....

Let others 'loath' you,not yourself,...... :)

KB

Thank you all for being so receptive and open about mental illness, whatever it may be. I think those of us afflicted with issues such as these feel a certain sense of compunction because mental illness is so stigmatized in society. It's difficult for me since the cycle of my addiction is ingrained in several generations of my family--family members who are still functioning 'addicts' and in a sense enablers of this disease-- and working on these issues means facing a reality not everyone in my family wants to face.. it's a big elephant in the corner of the room for many of us and I fear that tackling it personally might cause me to alienate some of the people in my life I love dearly.. it's a delicate balance between my sanity and the love I have for my family. Slippery slope.

Edited by Bustle In My Hedgerow

I think I understand what you're saying. I really like your statement "You are human with a heart that can't handle the hell."

The problem with clinical depression (in my own experience) is that things can be going very well in my world, but it doesn't matter, I'm still clinically depressed. It's a chemical imbalance. It's not like a "normal" short-lived depression, where you lose your job, or you get a divorce, or something similar, and then you go through a totally necessary period of depression from which you can expect to recover.

Clinical depression can be completely debilitating, and it doesn't need a reason to exist. I can ask myself, "What the hell is wrong with you? You've got so much to be thankful for. An amazing husband you're crazy about, who loves you back. Beautiful children and precious grandchildren." But the chemical imbalance in my brain keeps me from enjoying life and even makes me want to die so I won't have to suffer anymore.

I don't claim to be an expert in psychiatry, I'm just speaking from 40+ years of personal experience with clinical depression. And I want to do whatever I can to support others who are going through the same thing.

The term itself is wrong. There is depression as you describe which is normal. The debilitating kind is something else and should not even be called depression in order to differentiate it. I think this step would make things more understandable to people that have no idea what this type of depression does. It is not depression but something else..hmm, since there is not a proper name yet I will call it No Quarter disease...yeah, thats it...seriously, it needs a different title to alleviate the society stigma associated with normal depression

Hi all,

The term itself is wrong. There is depression as you describe which is normal. The debilitating kind is something else and should not even be called depression in order to differentiate it. I think this step would make things more understandable to people that have no idea what this type of depression does. It is not depression but something else..hmm, since there is not a proper name yet I will call it No Quarter disease...yeah, thats it...seriously, it needs a different title to alleviate the society stigma associated with normal depression

Not at all.Depression grows,like a fungus,upon itself.

KB

I believe the DSM-III calls it Major Depressive Disorder. But I might go along with calling it No Quarter disease. Depression gives no quarter, that's for sure.

Hi all,

Not at all.Depression grows,like a fungus,upon itself.

KB

Totally agree.

Thank you all for being so receptive and open about mental illness, whatever it may be. I think those of us afflicted with issues such as these feel a certain sense of compunction because mental illness is so stigmatized in society. It's difficult for me since the cycle of my addiction is ingrained in several generations of my family--family members who are still functioning 'addicts' and in a sense enablers of this disease-- and working on these issues means facing a reality not everyone in my family wants to face.. it's a big elephant in the corner of the room for many of us and I fear that tackling it personally might cause me to alienate some of the people in my life I love dearly.. it's a delicate balance between my sanity and the love I have for my family. Slippery slope.

Trust me, I also focus so much on my family. I sacrifice a lot for them.

But sometimes, strategically planning ways to cause the least offense to our family, we need to focus on ourselves and make ourselves feel better :console:

Hi all,

Trust me, I also focus so much on my family. I sacrifice a lot for them.

But sometimes, strategically planning ways to cause the least offense to our family, we need to focus on ourselves and make ourselves feel better :console:

"If, we can not in ourselves be content,how can we expect others?"

DBZ,(if I may),doing is not sacrificing .One is free will,the other is guilt.Big difference.

Again,any who,who wants to talk,...... :)

KB

Hi all,

"If, we can not in ourselves be content,how can we expect others?"

DBZ,(if I may),doing is not sacrificing .One is free will,the other is guilt.Big difference.

Again,any who,who wants to talk,...... :)

KB

It's not as easy as following a proverb. Going through all these experiences I went through, my perception on helping myself vs helping others is thrown out of whack. Maybe I do need to make myself happy first, but I don't ever fully realize it.

And I guess I sacrifice my happiness for my family members because I was brought up to feel guilty. I guess I'm saying I'm sacrificing my personal happiness by not living life like most teenagers do[dating and all that] even though I want to. I dedicate time to helping my family even if I feel as it's too much dedication. Sometimes, they can help themselves.

Also, everyone except for my father, thinks I'm guilty for being sexually assaulted as a little child. You see, I feel guilty about something I shouldn't. If I told anyone, I'd bring a bad reputation to the family. It was all a hype though because I did get external help. But from the time I was 12 to when I was 17, I guess I did sacrifice so much out of..... "guilt"

I appreciate you trying to help, I really do, it's just that it's never been an easy ride at all.

Every night, I've been getting nightmares about being brutally raped, because somehow I feel as if I deserve it because the first perpetrator was able to escape.

But, I will help myself. Following a proverb just doesn't register with me at the moment.

Hi all,

It's not as easy as following a proverb. Going through all these experiences I went through, my perception on helping myself vs helping others is thrown out of whack. Maybe I do need to make myself happy first, but I don't ever fully realize it.

And I guess I sacrifice my happiness for my family members because I was brought up to feel guilty. I guess I'm saying I'm sacrificing my personal happiness by not living life like most teenagers do[dating and all that] even though I want to. I dedicate time to helping my family even if I feel as it's too much dedication. Sometimes, they can help themselves.

Also, everyone except for my father, thinks I'm guilty for being sexually assaulted as a little child. You see, I feel guilty about something I shouldn't. If I told anyone, I'd bring a bad reputation to the family. It was all a hype though because I did get external help. But from the time I was 12 to when I was 17, I guess I did sacrifice so much out of..... "guilt"

I appreciate you trying to help, I really do, it's just that it's never been an easy ride at all.

Every night, I've been getting nightmares about being brutally raped, because somehow I feel as if I deserve it because the first perpetrator was able to escape.

But, I will help myself. Following a proverb just doesn't register with me at the moment.

That 'proverb',......I just made that up.

First,your post,above has already shown how well you have confronted yourself.Honesty like that is tough in public and tougher to yourself!

It's not about being happy,it's about being comfortable in your own skin,contentment with who you are.

Now wait a minute,.....I'm going to get graphic folks!

Also, everyone except for my father, thinks I'm guilty for being sexually assaulted as a little child.

Go tell your father,right now how much you love him!You kick others right to the curb with glee!They are not your family/friends.

If I told anyone, I'd bring a bad reputation to the family.

Except for your father,your family already has a bad reputation.As a-you-know.

Never said it was going to be easy.I never said family is kind, all I am saying is,somehow in this crazy world,a few of us still give a damn.For complete strangers,for I have known the kindness of them.For they have pulled my sorry arse up, out of the gutter.

I have stated before,you need to talk,well type. :) you PM me.Glad to help.

Chin up,kid!

KB

Hi all,

Thank you very much, KB

I can't tell you how much I'm relieved.

I will PM you if anything is bothering me.

I read a thread that you have some type of job helping rape victims.

Anytime DeepBlackZeppelin.Your always welcome!

Please do.

Yes.

What does one do,with 3 old potatoes and left-over Italian sausages? :blink:

Make a hash! :D

Kevin.