Concerts; Today v.s. Yesterday

DreamyKnight

I'd like to open this thread for folks to share the difference in the concert experience from many years ago, to that of todays concert experience.

Here is what inspired me to share this.

A couple years back we attended a "Rolling Stones" concert, which on many levels was as close to the old days as one could get. Cept for the astronomical ticket prices. Which is a far cry from most current concert events.

In the old days everything was general admission. $50 was the top ticket price and being close to the stage depended solely on your passion to get to the front of the ticket line when they went on sale.

Today, this all comes down to how much money you have, regardless of your devotion to the artist.

In the old days every concert was scheduled on a Friday or Saterday night. Now days it is rare to see a concert on these nights. Most folks that can afford todays ticket prices work, and have to work the day after a concert, since they have done away with weekend shows.

In the old days a concert was a major event, the party continued long after the concert ended, usually at a private party or club. Today, a concert is like a really expensive movie...a couple hours and your back in bed getting sleep for the work day ahead.

In the old days general admission ment freedom to mingle during the show. Today concerts have an extreme case of security and control at the event. No one is allowed in the isles, everyone is kept politely in their seats. You can dance, ya just cant use your feet!

A friend and I went to a Stones concert a couple years back. After the show started, everyone danced in the isles. It was over barring for the security staff, which turned a current structured concert into a huge party for all on the floor seats. We danced and had the room to dance, we ran around the stage...some moved closer and some stayed on the outer isles drinking and watching.

Went to a concert a couple weeks ago at Mountain Winery in Saratoga California. That was an excellent venue in that it only seated 2200 people. It was very intimate. But it was also extremely controlled as well.

On the one hand you had extremely good personal service, on the other hand you were smothered in so much attention that it was impossible to cut loose or feel as though you could.

A gal sitting in front of me was inspired by the music and started to dance, an attendant tapped me on the shoulder and asked if she was bothering me.

My answer was, if I could dance like that I would...but I was appauled that at a musical concert that the staff would actually stop a person from dancing...they dont provide anywhere to dance...all you can do is move around in your seat. Everytime you stand up, someone behind you gets upset you blocked their view.

Todays concert experience is so controlled it has taken away the spontenaty of yesterday. The extreme security of the venues and crowd control methods have taken away the free flow of the experience itself.

Concerts for a couple hours today cost as much as a week vacation anywhere else. And the show itself is as long as a movie at a theatre. It's over in a blink of an eye and cost a weeks pay. Concerts are now confining in movement for the listener.

It simply is not the same as it used to be, no matter how much the talent of the artist.

Any of you having the same feelings for concert going today?

(you will need to send an email to wunjo3@yahoo.com to notify me that you replied, if you wish for me to answer your reply. As this site has no post notification)

I haven't been to many lately but here are a few observations:

Then: cigarette lighters

Now: cell phones

Then: pot

Now: beer, or $5 bottled water

Then: band management

Today: corporate sponsorship

Then: drop off your 13 year old and pick 'em up afterwards

Now: concerts as a family outing

:blink::unsure:

Last concert I saw was a couple years ago. Fleetwood Mac at the Muckleshoot Amphitheater in Auburn, WA. It wasn't bad. We had seats way back but the big screens helped a lot. Lots of people were allowed to stay/dance right by the stage and Lindsey Buckinham let them strum his guitar.

I remember when you could take your camera in and no one said anything. I've got some nice shots of Robin Trower back in the mid 70's. Nowadays they'll just about kick your ass for bringing a camera in. The corporate types don't want anyone capitalizing on their cash cows.

<_<

Different times and different attitude. We made those concerts and the bands knew it. We wouldn't tolerate a lousy act and there were very few of them. That's the biggest difference. Give us a little credit, we knew what crap was :D

Different times and different attitude. We made those concerts and the bands knew it. We wouldn't tolerate a lousy act and there were very few of them. That's the biggest difference. Give us a little credit, we knew what crap was :D

This otta answer your question ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVP5x13UgKI

Then: pot

Now: beer, or $5 bottled water

There's still weed at concerts, LOTS of it (not to mention a plethora of other illicit substances).

Then: band management

Today: corporate sponsorship

I'm not sure how "band management" plays into this as they didn't pay for concerts to be put on. As bad as corporate sponsors have been portrayed, in some cases they're not the evil they've been made out to be. If a corporate sponsor can help to underwrite a tour to help defray costs everyone benefits from the artist right down to the fans. Even Neil Young has worked with Clear Channel.

Even back then (meaning the 70s, in my case) I didn't know of a lot of 13 year olds that got dropped off at concerts alone. Most of the folks I knew were at least accompanied by older friends. I realize it wasn't the same case with everyone, I'm just relating what I recall from back then. As for all concerts now being "family outings" that also isn't necessarily true. Even so, it's also not a bad thing. It also depends on the artist. Of course if you're going to see an artist that has been around for a long time you're going to see a wide range of ages. If you go to see someone who's relatively new you might not necessarily see such a wide age range.

This is the part I still can't get used to--not saying it's bad, at all, it's just the concept of going to a rock concert with your parents, when we used to go to rock concerts to rebel against that generation (if not our specific parents :D ). Just seems strange!

I remember when you could take your camera in and no one said anything. I've got some nice shots of Robin Trower back in the mid 70's. Nowadays they'll just about kick your ass for bringing a camera in. The corporate types don't want anyone capitalizing on their cash cows.

Depends on the artist. For R.E.M.'s current tour they have encouraged fans to bring in cameras (and even shoot video) to be posted on their tour blog. There are also a number of artists that allow (and even encourage) taping. I know concerts aren't the same as they were in the 70s but in some respects there's more freedom these days.

This is the part I still can't get used to--not saying it's bad, at all, it's just the concept of going to a rock concert with your parents, when we used to go to rock concerts to rebel against that generation (if not our specific parents :D ). Just seems strange!

I may be in the minority but I think it's a very cool thing to see several generations of fans sharing their love for the same artist. It's also like I mentioned in a previous post, some artists have been around long enough now to attract many generations of fans. If you go see a newer artist you don't necessarily see such a wide age range so it's not like all concerts are now settings for "family outings".

I've found the opposite with regard to photographs, actually. Admittedly partly because in the early days not that many people took cameras because they were big and clunky and didn't take very good pics, etc.--but these days I've hardly been to a show where you couldn't use cameras, and the few times I left my camera behind because I didn't want to get it confiscated or whatever, I regretted it because everybody else took theirs. :rolleyes:

I may be in the minority but I think it's a very cool thing to see several generations of fans sharing their love for the same artist. It's also like I mentioned in a previous post, some artists have been around long enough now to attract many generations of fans. If you go see a newer artist you don't necessarily see such a wide age range so it's not like all concerts are now settings for "family outings".

I said I didn't think it was a bad thing at all. It's not an experience of rock concerts that I grew up with, that's all. I didn't say all concerts were that way, either.

Back then we took acid,

Now we take antacid. :(

Someone said stronger drugs now I think. Not necessarily at all. Back then we had TRUE Southeast Asian pot brought back by Vietnam soldiers, it was as good as ANY pot today. The LSD back then was stronger, purer and more plentiful. Bennies, Reds, White Cross, Tuinal, Placydyls, Quaaludes, Dilaudid, Heroin (cheese), Mescaline, Peyote, Mushrooms and Coke all were fairly common and as potent as any pharmaceuticals today.

Ecstacy is overated, Methamphetamine (Ice, glass, crystal whatever) is no better than it was then either. Other nowaday drugs aren't as powerful including Ketamine, Salvia and Datura.

As far as concerts, geez, got all night? :rolleyes:

In a short phrase, The Edge isn't the same. Many more unknowns, much less predictability in ALL regards.

I said I didn't think it was a bad thing at all. It's not an experience of rock concerts that I grew up with, that's all. I didn't say all concerts were that way, either.

I agree with you, I was just adding my two cents to the conversation.

I recall a lot more impromptu outdoor festivals back in the 70s where people could get away with pretty much anything. Things are much more controlled at concerts these days (outdoor and otherwise) since they're much more organized. There's pluses and minuses to both situations. Today, concerts can be safer events which I think is a good thing. The downside was the "pit" situation I experienced at a R.E.M. concert in Atlanta over the summer. If there had been any sort of medical emergency (or a fight) it would have been next to impossible for security to get there in time due to the overwhelming crush of people. Thankfully none of those things happened but I hope the venue in Atlanta got wind of how iffy the "pit" situation was.

Then

warehouse13.jpg

Now

applause.gif

I beg to differ:

01.02.bonnaroo.jpg

I don't see any moms and dads in suits politely clapping in the photo above (which was taken at Bonnaroo, more photos here). I'm guessing folks here aren't familiar with concerts such as Bonnaroo, the Austin City Limits Music Festival, Telluride, Coachella or any host of other festivals that are held annually (and that's just name a few from the U.S., there are tons of other similar fests held in other countries). Or maybe some of the people posting in this thread aren't attending the same concerts I've been witness to. I agree the concert going experience has definitely changed from the 60s and 70s but not all of them are as corporate or clean cut as people are making them out to be.

I beg to differ:

I don't see any moms and dads in suits politely clapping in the photo above (which was taken at Bonnaroo, more photos here). I'm guessing folks here aren't familiar with concerts such as Bonnaroo, the Austin City Limits Music Festival, Telluride, Coachella or any host of other festivals that are held annually (and that's just name a few from the U.S., there are tons of other similar fests held in other countries). Or maybe some of the people posting in this thread aren't attending the same concerts I've been witness to. I agree the concert going experience has definitely changed from the 60s and 70s but not all of them are as corporate or clean cut as people are making them out to be.

:rolleyes: I was being facetious :slapface:

There's still weed at concerts, LOTS of it (not to mention a plethora of other illicit substances).

I'm not sure how "band management" plays into this as they didn't pay for concerts to be put on. As bad as corporate sponsors have been portrayed, in some cases they're not the evil they've been made out to be. If a corporate sponsor can help to underwrite a tour to help defray costs everyone benefits from the artist right down to the fans. Even Neil Young has worked with Clear Channel.

Even back then (meaning the 70s, in my case) I didn't know of a lot of 13 year olds that got dropped off at concerts alone. Most of the folks I knew were at least accompanied by older friends. I realize it wasn't the same case with everyone, I'm just relating what I recall from back then. As for all concerts now being "family outings" that also isn't necessarily true. Even so, it's also not a bad thing. It also depends on the artist. Of course if you're going to see an artist that has been around for a long time you're going to see a wide range of ages. If you go to see someone who's relatively new you might not necessarily see such a wide age range.

:) Oh I do agree with all of your points. I did catch a pretty substantial whiff at the Dave Matthews concert I saw in '01, but that's the last I've seen since the early 80s. Not that I've been to that many concerts though! But those I've been to have been pretty sanitized; more like sporting events.

The corporate sponsorship thing was really just an observation and not an opinion :)

And the family outing thing...I really haven't been to many concerts in the 00's, and those I've been to have been pretty mellow, so my experience is admittedly very limited. But taking my then-14 year old daughter to see Maroon 5 was surreal; there were so many younger kids (like, 5th/6th graders) there with their parents, all decked out in band merchandise; like they were going to Youth Night at a college sporting event.

It was particularly surreal when Adam Levine started tossing out F- and S-bombs left and right while chatting with the crowd (not to mention those in the song lyrics). :blink: The audience was pretty well divided between those younger kids, and college students. I think the band was playing to the college audience and may not have realized (or cared!) how many younger kids were there. Or maybe they did, lol. I was laughing and cringing at the same time; kind of a weird parent moment!

This contrasts with the Eagles concert my husband and I saw in '02, when at 37 and 39, we had to have been the youngest people in the stadium. We honestly saw little old ladies with walkers walking arm in arm; it was a trip! :)

After my last two experiences at large venues (VH, Bruce), I will more than likely never attend concerts of those size again. Why ?......

Post 9-11 experience

- Get to venue, stand in security line for 30 mintes just to enter the arena.

- Get in beer line.....got to the head of the line, where I was told I needed beer tickets (kewpins). Those are gotten in that line over there.

- Get in beer ticket line. This takes 10-15 minutes. Go back to beer line....another 10 minutes.

- Head to main floor....wait in another security line. Get to the head of the line where I'm told I need a main floor bracelet. Where do you get those ?......At the line at the top of the stairs. :slapface: Climb back up, and get in wrist-band line. After receiving, go back down to main floor line. I finally get on the main floor and head for my seats. This entire process took an hour. I get in my seat at an outdoor arena, and am told to put out my cigarette because there's no smoking.

I'm not paying someone $100 bucks for that kind of experience anymore. I am not an inmate at Folsom Prison. I would rather keep my memories of shows where I brought my own beer, water was free out of a fountain, and the venue gestapo had better things to do than watch my every move.

Many of the things listed above are why I tend to avoid shows at big venues altogether (unless it's someone I really want to see). I much prefer the club going experience over the megadomes/amphitheaters any day of the week. On the other hand there also some big outdoor events (which I previously mentioned) where there is more freedom. As for security; yes, some of that can seem like a big hassle but there has to be some order in case of an emergency.

I think it's great going to a concert with my son! I brought him up listening to good rock music and any concert he would go to I would too. I could not imagine going to a concert with my old man he did not even try to understand what rock was about.

I think it's great going to a concert with my son! I brought him up listening to good rock music and any concert he would go to I would too. I could not imagine going to a concert with my old man he did not even try to understand what rock was about.

There are a few bands and artists that both my son's and I can agree on but not many that we'd go see together. We have seen a few though and they have been bands that I really wanted to see as well. Can't honestly say that they've ever asked me to a show that they and their friends were going to....I can't imagine why :D

Archived