Concerts; Today v.s. Yesterday

DreamyKnight

I realize that concerts (and I) have changed vastly from the 70s when I first started going to hear live music. Whether those concert changes have been for better or worse, I haven’t let those changes stop me from going to hear live music. In any case, a couple of quick points based upon my own concert experiences:

With regard to weekend shows: my second and third Zep concerts (’72) were in the middle of the week, on school nights – Wednesday and Thursday. Between getting to (and home from) the concerts, the pre- and post-concert “activities”, “recovery”, and the concerts themselves, my friends and I ended up missing 2 1/2 days of school (I know. It was a different world and I was a different person). In the years that followed, there were more Zep concerts on weekdays (and more missed school days for me). In the end, I am fairly certain (although I haven't actually counted) that I attended more Zep concerts on weekdays than I did on weekends.

I was never “dropped off” at a concert venue: My friends and I lived in (or close to) a major city so we were not dependent upon our parents for rides; we had easy access to the concert venues via subway or train. Because I now live out in the hinterlands, in order to attend most concerts, my husband and I need to travel. Rather than leaving our youngest daughter with friends, she comes with us to the concerts – and usually brings along one of her friends. That arrangement has never been a problem for any of us.

One of my friends and I were recently talking about how, at least in the early 70s, the members of the road crews (and, yes, the bands) were less constrained by rules and were more approachable: sometimes we would chat with them and they would let us close to the stage (or even backstage) for the price of a smile.

When we were young and going to concerts, my friends and I used to sing our little mantra, “It’s all about the music.” Because some part of me still believes that, despite the changes, I’ll keep attending concerts.

Let it be known that the only good current concerts are in small venues. Stadiums suck ass unless its a band very conducive to elaborate stage shows, like Iron Maiden or something.

I've seen Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation and The Foo Fighters at the John Labatt Centre (a big stadium) and they were good concerts. But the ones I've been to in small venues were by far, much much more fun and great sounding concerts.

Last concert I saw was a couple years ago. Fleetwood Mac at the Muckleshoot Amphitheater in Auburn, WA. It wasn't bad. We had seats way back but the big screens helped a lot. Lots of people were allowed to stay/dance right by the stage and Lindsey Buckinham let them strum his guitar.

I remember when you could take your camera in and no one said anything. I've got some nice shots of Robin Trower back in the mid 70's. Nowadays they'll just about kick your ass for bringing a camera in. The corporate types don't want anyone capitalizing on their cash cows.

<_<

Today there is a camera in most cell phones...so the camera issue is a mute point. I couldnt afford to attend the '02 concert...but was able to see the whole thing on youtube. The new media, allows us to preview a concert on you tube in advance of local tickets going on sale. That is truly a first.

As stated in the first post, Concerts of today are not as free as they once were, financially or movement wise. For me its all about a close seat. If I can pay a grand for two decent seats I'll do it...what I wont do is buy the cheapest seats and go through the hassle it is now to watch a flea circus...them cheap seats are miles away from the stage. For that I'll buy a 12-pack and watch a dvd instead.

I said I didn't think it was a bad thing at all. It's not an experience of rock concerts that I grew up with, that's all. I didn't say all concerts were that way, either.

The concert experience varies according to the artist performing.

Eric Clapton, The Zep boys, Paul McCartney are completly different (controlled crowds) experiences then say the Stones or ZZ Top (loose crowds). The controlled events are basically, sit , watch, listen...don't interact too much because you will be kicked out of the arena-very controlled, everyone in their seat and no where else.

The Stones and ZZ Top, play arenas that allow for movement, along with Ozzy, Matellica and many other bands, than understand...if you going to pump that much energy into the crowd, you had better allow for movement.

If I'm in a subtle mood.. A McCartney or Zep concert is a safe bet, you'll get absolute high energy and yet a totally safe non-movement arena. you can bring your children. If I'm in a high energy mood then ZZ Top or Stones are a good choice, because once you get energized by the artist you can move around and spend some of that energy back.

When Zep tours, they will need to have a really good opening band of high standing or put on a 3 hour show themselves. We all know those will be one of the most expensive tickets in history, second only to Poveratti. They will need to have an extended performance show...and to do that they will need a top notch opening band that they themselves can put on a 2 hour high energy opening performance.

Back then we took acid,

Now we take antacid. :(

Someone said stronger drugs now I think. Not necessarily at all. Back then we had TRUE Southeast Asian pot brought back by Vietnam soldiers, it was as good as ANY pot today. The LSD back then was stronger, purer and more plentiful. Bennies, Reds, White Cross, Tuinal, Placydyls, Quaaludes, Dilaudid, Heroin (cheese), Mescaline, Peyote, Mushrooms and Coke all were fairly common and as potent as any pharmaceuticals today.

Ecstacy is overated, Methamphetamine (Ice, glass, crystal whatever) is no better than it was then either. Other nowaday drugs aren't as powerful including Ketamine, Salvia and Datura.

As far as concerts, geez, got all night? :rolleyes:

In a short phrase, The Edge isn't the same. Many more unknowns, much less predictability in ALL regards.

Depends on what country your in. In America...the drug induced concert days are gone! Unless your a delinquent, your probebly working double shifts just to survive this life and a concert is a major budgeting purchase...you will do without something else, to be able to afford a ticket to begin with. Drug addicts of today cannot afford concert tickets of today..and most of them are listening to gansta rap. Not Rock and Roll.

The Rock and Roll scene behind the curtain may have remained the same over the last two decades. But on this side where the fans live, we have grown light years beyond drugs being a leisure activity. At least for anyone that can afford the first few rows! Especially now that our 401k's have been wiped out. Drug users dont think about retirement savings and mortgage payments.

:rolleyes: I was being facetious :slapface:

In California, most concerts happen in buisness mecca cities. And none of them look like those! Part of the crowd control at the events them selves are just bled over and a part of public control to an extent. Even in local festivals for whatever excuse we use for a party for the day, security and crowd control is the new mantra of the day, and also the new psycological profile of concert goers. Unless a person is simply young and stupid.

The only way your going to get that at a regular concert and not a megga concert, is to do an arena in a party like setting like the Stones did and not a formal gathering like McCartny did.

After my last two experiences at large venues (VH, Bruce), I will more than likely never attend concerts of those size again. Why ?......

Post 9-11 experience

- Get to venue, stand in security line for 30 mintes just to enter the arena.

- Get in beer line.....got to the head of the line, where I was told I needed beer tickets (kewpins). Those are gotten in that line over there.

- Get in beer ticket line. This takes 10-15 minutes. Go back to beer line....another 10 minutes.

- Head to main floor....wait in another security line. Get to the head of the line where I'm told I need a main floor bracelet. Where do you get those ?......At the line at the top of the stairs. :slapface: Climb back up, and get in wrist-band line. After receiving, go back down to main floor line. I finally get on the main floor and head for my seats. This entire process took an hour. I get in my seat at an outdoor arena, and am told to put out my cigarette because there's no smoking.

I'm not paying someone $100 bucks for that kind of experience anymore. I am not an inmate at Folsom Prison. I would rather keep my memories of shows where I brought my own beer, water was free out of a fountain, and the venue gestapo had better things to do than watch my every move.

I'm not paying someone $100 bucks for that kind of experience anymore. I am not an inmate at Folsom Prison. I would rather keep my memories of shows where I brought my own beer, water was free out of a fountain, and the venue gestapo had better things to do than watch my every move.

$100! Shit when was the last time you went to a concert 1947!

Try $400 a ticket for a decent crappy seat.

Many of the things listed above are why I tend to avoid shows at big venues altogether (unless it's someone I really want to see). I much prefer the club going experience over the megadomes/amphitheaters any day of the week. On the other hand there also some big outdoor events (which I previously mentioned) where there is more freedom. As for security; yes, some of that can seem like a big hassle but there has to be some order in case of an emergency.

As for security; yes, some of that can seem like a big hassle but there has to be some order in case of an emergency.

That is very very true. There has to be some control when you have tens of thousands of people having fun.

All I was drawing attention to, is that the conert experience of today is much much different than the concert experience of yesterday.

I seen Plant and SS in Berkely a few years back,Paid top dollar for close seats and I was constantly told to sit down by the people behind me. Tried to play along and get into the mood, by dancing in my seat and kept hitting the gals head in front of me. There was security in isle so we couldnt go there. It was a sad experience, because you know thats what the performer wants, feedback of energy being sent out. But they in their bubble have no clue of what we in our bubble have to consider when cutting loose.

I had really crappy seats at the McCartney concert. In fact they were the crappiest seats in the arena, last seats behind the stage. A few other people where kicked out for smoking pot and security moved us to their seats, wich was only a few rows from the stage...right next to a family with children.

In the old days, you went and cut loose and had fun. Today, it's like...you show up. Take a look around and get a feel for the event and the tolorance of the event staff. Then its a choice, behave and see the whole show, or cut loose and risk getting kicked out of the event by staff.

AndrewsSisters.jpg

Don't laugh....They were hot hot hot ! B)

To be perfectly honest. I'm retired from concerts myself...With the exception of Page and Plant or Page or Plant , which I would never hesitate to see in concert as long as I could afford it within my currently old folk budget.

Other than Zep...for the hassle and high cost it is now, your better off going to Vegas for a week with a hooker. It will cost the same...and you will get a happy ending when your done.

I haven't been to many lately but here are a few observations:

Then: cigarette lighters

Now: cell phones

Then: pot

Now: beer, or $5 bottled water

Then: band management

Today: corporate sponsorship

Then: drop off your 13 year old and pick 'em up afterwards

Now: concerts as a family outing

:blink::unsure:

Then; Endless free style improvisation. Zeppelin Filmore West '69.

Now; Make sure you hit this chord when those computer controlled lights go on.

Then; A series of extended versions of the album tracks.

Now; As many sampled tunes as you can fit into 5 minutes.

Then; More friends than tickets.

Now; All me friends are married with kids...Guess I'm goin alone again.

Depends on the artist. For R.E.M.'s current tour they have encouraged fans to bring in cameras (and even shoot video) to be posted on their tour blog. There are also a number of artists that allow (and even encourage) taping. I know concerts aren't the same as they were in the 70s but in some respects there's more freedom these days.

That shows you how many concerts I go to these days. :D

If that's true then I say Bravo! B)

But I had to sneak my little digital into Fleetwood Mac as they warned against taking pics.

<_<

Today there is a camera in most cell phones...so the camera issue is a mute point. I couldnt afford to attend the '02 concert...but was able to see the whole thing on youtube. The new media, allows us to preview a concert on you tube in advance of local tickets going on sale. That is truly a first.

Yeah, the Fleetwood concert was basically the same as I'd seen on PBS where they had the USC band. But my nephew bought me a ticket so I said what the hell. I was happy to see Lindsey Buckingham play 'Big Love'. :)

The first time I was turned away with my camera was at Rod Stewart's 'Young Turks' tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I was p.i.s.sed because I had to go all the way back to my car. I like fairground concerts as they give you free reign. I have pics of Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Patty Loveless, Ricky Skaggs, Tower Of Power, etc.

B)

Yeah, the Fleetwood concert was basically the same as I'd seen on PBS where they had the USC band. But my nephew bought me a ticket so I said what the hell. I was happy to see Lindsey Buckingham play 'Big Love'. :)

The first time I was turned away with my camera was at Rod Stewart's 'Young Turks' tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I was p.i.s.sed because I had to go all the way back to my car. I like fairground concerts as they give you free reign. I have pics of Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Patty Loveless, Ricky Skaggs, Tower Of Power, etc.

B)

The USC band. That was an awesome album. All those tunes rock with that marching band playing along.

Of course like a moron , when I was falling in love with a gal Kimberly (zippy) I played and associated Fleetwood Mac to that relationship...then when it fell apart, I couldn't stand the sound of Fleetwood Mac for a couple years.

I don't associate romance with my favorite bands anymore...lol. Just incase it doesn't work out, it doesn't corrupt the fan/artist relationship.

Depends on what band is playing what venue, that determines if I'm going. Of course now a days it all comes down to whats in the wallet. I missed Plant and Krauss at Berkely this year, simply didnt have the funds to attend. But later caught them at Saratoga when our industry improved.

Here's how things have changed.

My wife and I attended Stone Temple Pilots/Meat Puppets on Friday,Halloween night.Rather than getting best available seats as a John Q. Public on my own,I ordered through Live Nation.For a price,I scored fourth row tickets.Also included VIP parking and a fabulous catered buffet pre concert.Beer was $6 and $8(ripoff),small soft drink $4(ripoff).

During the Meat Puppets,I was able to leave my seat and lean against the primary barrier separating the stage.Had to return to my seat during STP.

My wife got took some excellent photos,and if we knew how to get them posted, we'd do it.

Caught a whiff of "burning rope"once or twice and overall the total experience was great,A+.

Several Led Zeppelin songs were played as bumper music between bands.Good Times Bad Times was cut short as STP took the stage.

It was great to see a four man band play some kick ass rock and roll and be this close to the action.

It did cost,but it spoiled as well.

Archived