Open letter to Robert

ally

I do agree with you Ledded I, it would have to be 100% or nothing and I will look forward to what does come. My original post was I suppose speaking more from the heart than the head but, as hard as I try to visualize things, Robert not being there has really put a damper on it. I can't deny it

Been going over a number of things and can't get past the fact that Robert Plant will not be part of this project. I've been a fan since I was 12yrs old and have had the privedge of seeing Zep live on many an occations. Everyone on this forum has stated their opinions about this and that but I have to say, I want Robert to be part of this project. This is not about a debt or expectation, I will admit to being selfish. My children have seen you and Jimmy live and I now want my grandchildren to have the same experience. Led Zeppelin is as vital today as it ever was. The people who were not fans in the 70's are the same people you are trying to accomidate now. Screw them. That was the bands attitude then, it should be the bands attitude now and you should be a part of that. I accept that life leads us all in different directions and hands us many a challenge along the way... this is home IMHO

I too have been a fan since i was 12 so i hear you, but just as i have aged so has Robert and as much as I selfishly would want to see him and the boys together again more than anything, i respect his choices. he must have his reasons.... When I heard that Robert didnt want to play I felt very hurt I am so jealous of the lucky ones who did see them all together at the 02. However sometimes people change their minds at the last minute so there is still hope whilst there hasnt been an official release of concert tour dates. Thats what I tell myself anyway :lol:

Sounds like he would just rather bow out gracefully than be "those guys" who just wouldn't give it a rest.

simple enough, right?

Maybe he wants to bask in the afterglow.... I know I would, It's like having a child, you had a hand in it, but stand back and look what it's capable of! Why watch it degrade with 17 reunion tours...

In a January, 2008 interview, he stated that he does not want to "go around and around like a bunch of bored old men following the Rolling Stones around."

As a so called Plant apologist I don't condemn people for being disappointed by his decision, in fact I share it as do other so called apologists. I do condemn some of the viciousness and nastiness that is hurled his way from some so called fans and some obvioulsy Zep but not Plant fans ( weakest link in the Zep band some have stated). Given that his voice defines Zep as much as Jimmys guitar I find that hard to figure with some people. So condemn me!!!

Fair enough if people are unhappy with his decision but do it without the absolute shite that flies around at times.

Its disrespectful to him, Jimmy and Jonesy and his old best mate Bonzo and the name of Led Zeppelin.

I don't agree with those that say he is disrespecting the fans with his decision and given the insults of some then they don't deserve his respect.

Ally its a pity that your heartfelt sentiments are getting lost in the midst of the insults but I respect your sentiments and right to express them even if I am not in total agreement with some of what you first posted. I too saw Zep in the 70's and last year and missed them immensely in the intervening years.

But I still followed the musicians I respect, admire and have idolised for 39 years and will continue to do so regardless of whether they meet my wishes or desires. Equally its great that younger newer fans feel so passionately and I wish they could all feel what its like at a show and thats why it's so hard for some to accept he won't do it.

If Robert were to change his mind then no one will be as happy as I would be.

He won't change it because of what you or I feel but I agree its important that he understands the passion people feel for the music of Led Zeppelin. I believe he knows and understands cos the reaction he gets when he plays the songs is something special.

As much as I wanted and still want them to be together I really don't want it to be with him or even if it were oneof the others where they don't enjoy it and can't give that 100% to it. That would ruin it for me and I believe would mar the Led Zeppelin legacy which lets face it is something pretty wonderful B)

You speak my thoughts and feelings 100% well written mate :thanku::goodpost:

Lynn, you have not done anything to take this off topic.

Rorer, I just don't want this thread to go the way so many have. I would continue the discusion if we didn't already have so many of those :D

I understand ally,but the diverse thoughts from the members of this board make it almost impossible for that to happen.

We all want this to happen,but it's not going to this time around.

I,plus many others,feel your pain.

'Lighten up baby,we're in love with THEM' :)

Agreed, the issue is as each side expresses opinion the pendulum swings farther and farther from center. Those defending Robert Plant (the plantologists) condemn those who are disappointed with his decision ( the reunionist ). Opinions on each side are diminished or ignored, Each side believes they are right, and defend their parties ideology. Before long no middle ground on any opinion can be reached. All parties agree to disagree. Meanwhile the focal point of the controversy ( Robert Plant ) takes the brunt of the rhetoric.

Kevin - good point.

I think it's good when there is a difference of opinion, otherwise, this forum would be a bore. I love the back and forth discussions between people in some of the threads. It's OK with me if no middle ground can be reached, it's the exchange of ideas and opinions that are interesting.

However, it should be done without all the rancor and insults that are sometimes hurled at each other and at Plant. It is possible for this place to have controversy and still be respectable.

Now, on topic. This is for you and your thread Ally,

I want Robert Plant to be a part of this project. Anyone can sing a Zep song but, it's never really going to be a Zep song unless Robert Plant is singing it. Does that make sense?

Ally, you said in your initial post that you thought you were being selfish because of your need to have Robert involved. It's not selfishness, it's just you expressing a wish and/or opinion - I think that's great. :)

I understand ally,but the diverse thoughts from the members of this board make it almost impossible for that to happen.

We all want this to happen,but it's not going to this time around.

I,plus many others,feel your pain.

'Lighten up baby,we're in love with THEM' :)

We are. B)

Posted to the Official Led Zeppelin Forum on behalf of author Howard Mylett as requested:

Robert,

Please reconsider your decision to not return to the three friends and fellow musicians who you are an essential part of. If the money is not an issue, why not do concerts to help the sick and starving?

Every newsreel showing sadness and sickness, no food to eat, no clean water to drink with the volume of love and adoration for you and your Zeppelin songs and performances. You could help so much and feel you've put a positive spin on helping people.

I'm not asking, I'm begging you.

Bless you.

Howard Mylett

29/10/2008

Posted to the Official Led Zeppelin Forum on behalf of author Howard Mylett as requested:

Robert,

Please reconsider your decision to not return to the three friends and fellow musicians who you are an essential part of. If the money is not an issue, why not do concerts to help the sick and starving?

Every newsreel showing sadness and sickness, no food to eat, no clean water to drink with the volume of love and adoration for you and your Zeppelin songs and performances. You could help so much and feel you've put a positive spin on helping people.I'm not asking, I'm begging you.

Bless you.

Howard Mylett

29/10/2008

Well--the first sentence of this paragraph doesn't make sense. And the rest of this paragraph implies, unintentionally I'm quite sure, that Robert doesn't already help people in such circumstances--which he does and has in major ways.

I don't think emotional blackmail will work, Howard, though I acknowledge the passion and sincerity of your request.

Is it just me, or does it seem that there's not enough faith in the three to do whatever the hell they want with their new music? I'm already well aware that some people feel like RP owes us something, and I don't agree. So do you feel the threejays are lacking without him? I don't. Quit yer fuckin whining, people.

Is it just me, or does it seem that there's not enough faith in the three to do whatever the hell they want with their new music? I'm already well aware that some people feel like RP owes us something, and I don't agree. So do you feel the threejays are lacking without him? I don't. Quit yer fuckin whining, people.

There's a difference between whining and asking the question Suz. If what I say is being interpeted as whining then all I can say is, sorry

I will support Jimmy, Jonesy and Jason, and wish Robert the best. This whole thing is kinda strange at this point in time. But since Jimmy and Robert did their thing, I can understand that the guys have touched a musical spark and feel the need.

I only hope that this venture can stand on it's own and not be cheeseball, or a sorry last ride down memory lane.

I'm not supprised that Robert has said no to this. Listen to Tin Pan Alley's lyrics. Pretty much his stance since 1980. Atleast Robert didn't trash the guys and wished them well. I think Jimmy wasted his Coverdale card on the Page/Plant projects, cause they could sure use it now........

Robert,

Every newsreel showing sadness and sickness, no food to eat, no clean water to drink with the volume of love and adoration for you and your Zeppelin songs and performances. You could help so much and feel you've put a positive spin on helping people.

Bless you.

Howard Mylett

29/10/2008

Well Steve, I admire Howard's spirit. I somehow doubt that this would bring Robert into the fold- even with the idea of magnanimous idealism. I just don't see it happening- we are "beating a dead horse" I think. <_<

Robert,

Bless you.

Howard Mylett

29/10/2008

Jesus. :wtf:

Robert,

Bless you.

Howard Mylett

29/10/2008

Ohhhh Howard how the mighty have fallen. My 5 year old nephew could have got that silly message over better.

Yes, a purpose, at the moment.

I think this has been Robert's point all along. The O2 one-off had a particular purpose and spirit to it. It was done for charity in the name of an old friend. A new album and tour under the Zeppelin name would basically accomplish nothing in Robert's eyes, and I tend to agree with him on certain levels. Like you yourself previously mentioned, I very much doubt that Robert's voice could handle the strain of a tour. Since he doesn't need the money, the expectations that come with playing large venues under the Zep name, would be a turn-off.

The O2 Show enhanced the legacy of Led Zeppelin, even though John Bonham was only there in spirit. Would a new album and world tour do the same in the long run ? I have my doubts. Even though I very much enjoyed the '98 Plant/Page Tour, let's not forget that by the end, several shows on that tour did not sell out 15-22,000 seat venues. "Walking into Clarksdale" went down like a lead balloon. Relationships also became strained. If that's the price of having a 2009 Led Zeppelin World Tour, it might be the best thing that never happened. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to give Robert the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps an official O2 For Your Life Ahmet Tribute DVD Release would be the best thing next... ???

Give all of the fans the opportunity to see RP, JP, JPJ, Jason and other bands that night give their best and pay tribute to their friend, Ahmet.

It would provide the time for JP, JPJ and Jason to work up their rehearsals with whoever they want to sing with them (and if Robert later decides that he wants to sing with them again for whatever reason, then we would see that happen).

This takes the pressure off of all of them and still honors the name and band, Led Zeppelin.

If Kevin Shirley is working /has worked on it, then perhaps we'll see it sometime in 2009.

Of course, everything is completely their decision (on what they do release or don't release/ tour or not tour, with or with this person or that person and what name they use).

(crossing fingers)

R B)

Zep might need "a purpose" but going out there WITHOUT the Zep banner doesn't need "a purpose" other than getting on with it as a musician. I think that's what JPJ expressed at the Manson Q&A. They just want to find a singer who won't result in people looking at them as nothing but a tribute act. So they need a singer that brings something new to the table.

I have never seen Led Zep live. It would be amazing/really good if plant did tour with JP, JPJ and JB but, for me, just to see JP would be brilliant.

It sounds as though you just want to see them because of who they are not because of what they can now do.

At what stage in their lives (aged 70/80 yrs) would you not want to see them?

90 would do me <S>

caroselambra~

Archived