The Song Remains The Same - upcoming screening

sam_webmaster

Settle this once and for all: who was the Indian woman caught in rapture listening to Robert singing Since I've Been Loving You? Many believe she is the younger sister of Robert's wife

at the time, while others insist she is merely a member of the audience. I'm inclined to say

she is an audience member, given she appears to be accompanied by a male companion.

And why would that alter anything?

In case this helps, I can categorically state that is NOT Shirley Wilson.

Edited by Knebby

the shepperton sessions of course happened because not enough planning went into the the filming of the ending three shows of the 1973 tour

if youlook closely at some of the shots of TSRTS you can see different hair lengths and Plant had work done on his teeth

theres probably more too

Why in the world was the Shepperton studios shoot even necessary? How could it happen, with all the pre-planning, that there wasn't enough film, or not enough cameras rolling, or whatever, at the MSG show? Seems like a collossal screw-up to me...

The film format used for the concerts had inherent limitations. I've got some specific details written down somewhere. I want to say the cannisters had to be swapped out

every 20 mins or so.

It just reinforces they seem to be a hip, young couple out on a date. If it had been Shirley Wilson I'd expect to see a familiar face from the entourage in her vicinity.

Since Shirley was married at that time - and not to someone from 'the entourage'- I don't think seeing her with a non-entourage face would be all that odd. :rolleyes:

Anyway back to topic. I've repeatedly seen the fantasy sequences ridiculed on this forum and elsewhere. I personally love them, and feel that they are what sets this movie apart from a standard "roccumentary". When you worked on the re-packaged version of the movie, did you get any feedback from the band re these sequences? Do you feel that they regretted their inclusion in the movie or felt embarrassed by them at all - as people seem to think they should do?

The film format used for the concerts had inherent limitations. I've got some specific details written down somewhere. I want to say the cannisters had to be swapped out

every 20 mins or so.

that makes sense

plus they didn't have a large number of cameras at the time

so there were holes in the video that needed to be filled in

As a whole I think TSRTS was the ancestor of the music videos this generation is born into. The reason it was rediculed by some might have been because it was not very common at that time and lengthy. Only a few had similar ones as I remember (ones that they actually planned for and shot according to the plan and not just taken at a show or concert) but short ones like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and pre-Michael McDonald's Doobie Brothers where they shot Long Train Running in the tracks.

Why in the world was the Shepperton studios shoot even necessary? How could it happen, with all the pre-planning, that there wasn't enough film, or not enough cameras rolling, or whatever, at the MSG show? Seems like a collossal screw-up to me...

I would think the Shepperton shoot was necessary to add more visual impact on the stage sequences. In the studios everything can be controlled from lighting (as seen from the camera as opposed to audience view) to camera angles and positioning (that otherwise would have obstructed the flow of the actual concert or the view of the audience).

[quote SteveAJones

Did Virginia Parker, the blonde maiden atop the staircase, ever appear in any other film?]

I laughed when my 24 year-old daughter remarked that Robert's hair is more beautiful than the maiden's... :D

:D I think it's amusing all the speculation that has arisen over the groovy, caftan-wearing lady in the audience. A storyline has almost emerged about how she's gazing with love at Robert and that they were secret lovers or something. How do we know who or what she was looking at?! She could have been tripping on acid and gazing with wonder at the leaping pink elephants. To me, she was just someone in the crowd who was loving the music. [this isn't a knock on Mr. Jones' question, I was referring more to the elaborate speculation about this girl on a photo thread or two] :)

And it makes me wonder: did semi-featured folks like caftan lady and the drunk girl looking for tickets (my personal favorite) have to sign releases for the original film and/or DVD?

Edited by FireOpal

Three lucky fans being granted free access to a Led Zeppelin concert just for the asking is the stuff of teenage fantasy. Was that scene staged?

FWIW, I always thought that they only let them in because the cameras were rolling and they didn't want to look bad. Then again, the better question here is why did they bother answering the door?

Why was footage that was filmed at other venues such as the Baltimore Civic Center not given credit?

This question could also be rephrased as "why were none of the off-stage film locations credited"? I think to have done so would have taken away from the mystique. It's taken

me years to confirm all the locations depicted, and in some cases wouldn't have been possible without the band members themselves.

• 10 years later...

Who gives a damn shit how where when why it was filmed. It exceeds any filmed concert up till then including Monterey pop and Woodstock. Even the earlier versions commercially sold on vinyl, or cassettes were different. I don’t care if it was filmed from cameras hanging out of there ass. It is awesome and the energy was unequal. Only three others come close. Kiss Alive (the first)  Framtom Comes Alive and Skynerds one more for the road. There’s several but as far as rock blues psychedelic and stage control. I’m a Led head till the end. Thank you.