Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand Suspended

ledzep45

I agree knebby, I find Jonathan Ross funny sometimes and I don't really like Russell Brand, but this is so stupid and not funny. Yes it maybe a bit OTT but jesus......this is really surprising.

Once again the dogooders win. Fair enough it was a bad taste joke that has backfired, but is it really worth all the publicity. I suppose they are a couple of overpaid prats though, but they haven't murdered anyone!!!

And the grand-daughter who was "so offended" that she had to return from her tour with "Satanic Sluts" and call for them to "lose their jobs" has signed with Max Clifford.

Who also was a page 3 wannabe a while ago, so yes, she is sweet and innocent!! lol

I didn't hear the radio broadcast but apparently the BBC only received 2 complaints after the show. It was only when the Daily Mail reported on it that they started receiving thousands of complaints.

I think the BBC have been forced into the suspension because of the media storm it's created, but let's face it they'll never sack Jonathon Ross because he'll just go to Sky, ITV, or CH4 and take all their peak time viewers with him.

What really annoyed me about the whole thing tho is seeing Gordon Brown and David Cameron villifying them on the news (just so they can try and boost their popularity)..... what the hell has it got to do with them?!

I don't find it hilarious at all. I think its really tasteless to leave messages like that about his grand-daughter on a 78 year old man's answering machine - particularly one as harmless and well-loved as him.

However, I don't think it is a sackable offence and I personally think this has gotten WAY out of hand - and I have NO sympathy at all for the grand-daughter, who has totally milked this.

Well I don't know why they dragged Andrew Sachs into it, why didn't they just leave the messages on her answering machine?

Because it was supposed to be a pre-arranged interview between Brand and Sachs. He never answered the phone - hence the messages.

It was tasteless, and to the Sachs' family, offensive, but I can't understand all the furore it's creating publicly. The news are being a bit overzealous with it. I'm sure a lot worse has been done. I mean, fancy getting Gordon Brown involved?

Naughty but hilarious.

Thanks for the link, EL - I wondered what all the kerfuffle was about. I read some articles in the Daily Mail that made it sound as if Messrs. Brand & Ross had done something hideous. And I thought Brits were unshockable!

Interesting observations in that Guardian article. I'd say it's the same in America. "Janet Street-Porter, a broadcaster who has had the occasional bad-mouthed outburst, blames the macho culture of the airwaves for the Ross/Brand stunt. Television and radio have become increasingly 'blokeish', she says, which leads her to conclude that 'fines, sackings and investigations can't alter a culture'."

Thanks for the link, EL - I wondered what all the kerfuffle was about. I read some articles in the Daily Mail that made it sound as if Messrs. Brand & Ross had done something hideous. And I thought Brits were unshockable!

Interesting observations in that Guardian article. I'd say it's the same in America. "Janet Street-Porter, a broadcaster who has had the occasional bad-mouthed outburst, blames the macho culture of the airwaves for the Ross/Brand stunt. Television and radio have become increasingly 'blokeish', she says, which leads her to conclude that 'fines, sackings and investigations can't alter a culture'."

You're welcome, FireOpal. I would imagine that a lowered state of inhibition contributed to the remarks. They sounded as if they were in a somewhat loose, not so tight state of mind.

You're welcome, FireOpal. I would imagine that a lowered state of inhibition contributed to the remarks. They sounded as if they were in a somewhat loose, not so tight state of mind.

Very loose! Perhaps some liquid refreshments were flowing, of the caffeinated and/or alcoholic variety. That said, I've enjoyed both men's humour over the years - Wossy's tv interview with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) earlier this year was hilarious.

And Mr. Brand is a scruffpot, but there's an appealing vulnerability there as well i think.

I love them both and so do many others. It was a really stupid thing they did, but sadly it has just given areas of the media such as The Daily Mail exactly the chance they have been waiting for - to go on a witch hunt after them. Its pathetic. As if there weren't more important things in the world.

The most disappointing thing about the whole story is that Ross and Brand both apologised instead of just saying, "Oh, fuck off you stuck up twats".

Imagine if the Sex Pistols had apologised after the Bill Grundy thing. Or if Brian May had apologised after playing guitar on the roof of Buckingham Palace. I mean, some things are just meant to be tasteless. Apologising gives the confusing impression that they actually gave a shit in the first place, when they were actually just having a larf. :rolleyes:

Archived