Who would be a good Plant replacement?

A couple things I want to add to my post:

1. I am not saying Led Zep SHOULD reform without Robert. My comments were based on if Jimmy, John & Jason are going ahead, even if Robert says no. I also think they should come up with a new name-Airship the 2nd, or something.

I would just like to add to your post that if Jimmy and JPJ decide to continue on without Robert Plant, in addition to a new name, they should also use "mostly" new material. Without John Bonham it's not Led Zeppelin anyway, to me. (no offense to Jason fans, but he is not his dad even if he plays as good).

Before Page's manager made the announcement that the project that would have included Page, Jones, Jason Bonham and an as yet unnamed vocalist was dead in the water, Jones had said they'd be recording a new album to tour behind first. So, that was part of the plan at one time.

It won't be Led Zeppelin without Robert...

There were never any plans to call it "Led Zeppelin" without Plant.

So simple.. We don't need more suggestions for replacement, indeed.

Perhaps but I doubt the suggestions will stop. There's some that are still holding onto the notion that there will be some sort of project involving Page, Jones, Jason Bonham and a vocalist despite Jimmy Page's managers' comments to the contrary.

There were never any plans to call it "Led Zeppelin" without Plant.

Perhaps but I doubt the suggestions will stop. There's some that are still holding onto the notion that there will be some sort of project involving Page, Jones, Jason Bonham and a vocalist despite Jimmy Page's managers' comments to the contrary.

Which is why I don't quite get continued suggestions being brought up.

Which is why I don't quite get continued suggestions being brought up.

Because, to some, the penny has not dropped yet :slapface:

I can't fault a fan for wishing to see their band reunite, but, bloody hell fire (local dialect for you there), get the facking point.

If they were to reunite - Robert or not - don't you think it would've happened a little sooner? Not that I'm saying we are, but a lot of fans can be fickle. How many people are signed to this board? Over 12,000. And how many come here daily? Less than 50, maybe? If anything were to come to fruition, I seriously believe that they would've soon it a lot sooner after O2. I believe they would've capitalized on it. And, as it happens, they haven't.

Weren't there? I don't think you can say that for definite.

I thought I remember seeing a quote from Jones in that regard but I may be wrong. In any event, I definitely don't recall anyone saying it would be called Led Zeppelin.

I thought I remember seeing a quote from Jones in that regard but I may be wrong. In any event, I definitely don't recall anyone saying it would be called Led Zeppelin.

i think the rumor was for a Led Zep Reunion Tour, so automatically you (or I) would assume that they would then call themselves Led Zep.....?

i think the rumor was for a Led Zep Reunion Tour, so automatically you (or I) would assume that they would then call themselves Led Zep.....?

I try to never make the mistake of assuming anything. By the way, here's the quote I was thinking of (which wasn't from John Paul Jones):

"Whatever this is, it is not Led Zeppelin," says a rep for Page's management company, QPrime. "Not without the involvement of Robert Plant."

This comes from the Zeppelin Members Seek New Singer article which appeared in Rolling Stone last November.

I try to never make the mistake of assuming anything. By the way, here's the quote I was thinking of (which wasn't from John Paul Jones):

"Whatever this is, it is not Led Zeppelin," says a rep for Page's management company, QPrime. "Not without the involvement of Robert Plant."

This comes from the Zeppelin Members Seek New Singer which appeared in Rolling Stone last November.

i stand correted! i guess its all wishful thinking, anyway.

allow me to add that in no way would i believe a performance by JP, JPJ and JB and a vocalist is a "reunion" or "led zeppelin". it can't be without robert plant.

i don't know what you would call it, actually. the whole thing would seem odd and slightly, dare i say, desperate...?

Before Page's manager made the announcement that the project that would have included Page, Jones, Jason Bonham and an as yet unnamed vocalist was dead in the water, Jones had said they'd be recording a new album to tour behind first. So, that was part of the plan at one time.

I would be fairly certain if Jimmy and JPJ get together, it would be to create new musas. I just wanted to add that to the post i invaded :). I would not feel they were inappropriate to incorporate a few Zep songs if they felt the desire. Just as long as it was kept very minimal. I agree with you that Led Zeppelin as we know them, ended when we lost John Bonham.

I would be fairly certain if Jimmy and JPJ get together, it would be to create new musas. I just wanted to add that to the post i invaded :). I would not feel they were inappropriate to incorporate a few Zep songs if they felt the desire. Just as long as it was kept very minimal. I agree with you that Led Zeppelin as we know them, ended when we lost John Bonham.

Why minimal - I've never had any issue with any of the members doing Zep songs, no matter how many on tour. It's part of their history and I don't see they would need to only do one or two IMO.

Why minimal - I've never had any issue with any of the members doing Zep songs, no matter how many on tour. It's part of their history and I don't see they would need to only do one or two IMO.

I'm with you ninelives- I don't think there's a number to cross from being acceptable to unacceptable in terms of how many Zep songs get played. The only thing I think that happens/can happen from them playing a bunch of numbers as opposed to only a few is the continual refueling of the calls for a reunion- just renews the want in a lot of people's hearts I think.

I say Tap Kate Bush for the singing duties.

She can do the light and the dark. Plus.... while JPJ is parking the car.... she can make the tea !

Of course..... NO ONE on the planet can ever top Robert, as the lead singer for LZ ! !

C'mon Jimmy, PLEASE call Adam (Lambert)!

Before Queen beats you to it

Did you see Adam with Kiss & Queen?

Adam needs a band & you need a singer!

And I love Zep way more than Queen, so I want you to get him!

If you choose Adam, how about using the name DAM Zeppelin (as Led was an alt spelling of Lead, Dam-from Adam-could be an alt spelling of Damn)? This would give the band continuity, while respecting that LED Zeppelin was Robert's alone!

:elvis:

Before Queen beats you to it!

I don't understand why Adam's fans are so eager to see him get into a famous band. Personally I think it would be better if he can establish himself first.

I won't deny Adam has a good voice, he sings fine. But is he in league with Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury? I would say "he has potential", 'cause I don't know in which direction and how far he would go. But the Adam Lambert who sung on AI is not someone I'd like to put in a collarboration with Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones(no you can't call it Zeppelin) or Queen. He is still faraway from that.

According to the statement issued by Page's manager; Page, Jones and Jason Bonham are no longer looking for a singer. When they were, Jones made it clear they weren't interested in a Plant soundalike.

I don't understand why Adam's fans are so eager to see him get into a famous band. Personally I think it would be better if he can establish himself first.

I won't deny Adam has a good voice, he sings fine. But is he in league with Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury? I would say "he has potential", 'cause I don't know in which direction and how far he would go. But the Adam Lambert who sung on AI is not someone I'd like to put in a collarboration with Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones(no you can't call it Zeppelin) or Queen. He is still faraway from that.

I agree. He needs to develop his own style and identity. If he were to be a replacement singer for an established band at this point, I think it would be harder for him to have his own career following.

You know how some bands like to do a few cover songs. Springsteen and U2 always do a few. Predominately, you are seeing them do their original music. Led Zeppelin called it quits in 1980. So if the remaining members of Led Zeppelin form a new band (since that's what it is without Robert Plant and John Bonham) why should they play Zeppelin songs? I saw Robert Plant live 5 times (all different tours) and he did a few Zeppelin songs. He gave the fans some "history". He knew they wanted a little piece of that. But i imagine most people who pay to see Robert Plant are paying to see him do his own music. Now Plant and Page together was an exception... that i have no problem with.

If Page and JPJ reform and do "many" Zeppelin songs, they have now replaced Robert Plant... back to the original question. We already established nobody can or should...

You know how some bands like to do a few cover songs. Springsteen and U2 always do a few. Predominately, you are seeing them do their original music. Led Zeppelin called it quits in 1980. So if the remaining members of Led Zeppelin form a new band (since that's what it is without Robert Plant and John Bonham) why should they play Zeppelin songs? I saw Robert Plant live 5 times (all different tours) and he did a few Zeppelin songs. He gave the fans some "history". He knew they wanted a little piece of that. But i imagine most people who pay to see Robert Plant are paying to see him do his own music. Now Plant and Page together was an exception... that i have no problem with.

If Page and JPJ reform and do "many" Zeppelin songs, they have now replaced Robert Plant... back to the original question. We already established nobody can or should...

I hear what you're saying but if Jimmy and John Paul were to form a new band, why would it be different for them to do some Zep tunes than how Robert encorporates them in his concerts? Unless I'm not following you, seems to me there's no reason any of them shouldn't do them along with their own material. It is part of their history as you said. As far as people paying to see Robert do his own music I'd like to think that were the case but I would venture a guess that some pay to see him do the Zep tunes more so than his own material sad to say.

Before Queen beats you to it

And I love Zep way more than Queen, so I want you to get him!

If you choose Adam, how about using the name DAM Zeppelin (as Led was an alt spelling of Lead, Dam-from Adam-could be an alt spelling of Damn)? This would give the band continuity, while respecting that LED Zeppelin was Robert's alone!

LOL, I would hope Jimmy Page, if he ever decides to form a new band, would pick a singer who is worthy of his excellence. Sorry, but i don't think anyone who doesn't have their own established catalog under their belt is even in the running. Unless, they are found in a club or garage maybe. Someone edgy like that might actually work. The American Idol title alone is enough for me to cringe at the thought. I know how "great" everyone who loves him thinks he is (him being Adam, and i'm not trying to disrespect your feelings) but i'm not looking for enlightenment, either. That being said, Jimmy can choose whoever he wants if he ever decides to. :)

edit: and there is no need to use Led or Zeppelin in a new name for a new band. I think these guys can be more original than that.

I hear what you're saying but if Jimmy and John Paul were to form a new band, why would it be different for them to do some Zep tunes than how Robert encorporates them in his concerts? Unless I'm not following you, seems to me there's no reason any of them shouldn't do them along with their own material. It is part of their history as you said. As far as people paying to see Robert do his own music I'd like to think that were the case but I would venture a guess that some pay to see him do the Zep tunes more so than his own material sad to say.

I said i think playing a few Zeppelin songs is fine. Robert Plant didn't do any Zeppelin songs on his first tour in 83/84. If anyone at the shows i saw were there to hear Zeppelin, they must have gone home disappointed. At the end of the show, i only saw ecstatic fans. :) I know by the time Robert toured Manic Nirvana (i was 6 rows away from the stage)!!!! he played quite a few Zeppelin songs. I was there for Robert's music and while i loved hearing some Zeppelin tunes, it would have been just as enjoyable to me if he didn't play any. I do think it's a little different for Robert to sing Zeppelin songs (especially ones he wrote/co-wrote, sang and recorded) than for Jimmy Page having a new singer replacing Robert for the vocals of "history" that person didn't make.

I personally wouldn't pay to hear a Robert Plant replacement. I am very, very doubtful that day will ever come anyway!

Edit: while i sadly missed what would have been my first Zeppelin show in 1980 due to the lose of John Bonham, i did see Robert, Jimmy and JPJ at Live Aid. To me, that was kind of a farewell tribute and some closure.

Archived