Who would be a good Plant replacement?

LOL I almost went to see him with Jack Bruce last July - we were in San Diego - but it would have messed our other plans...

You know, I'm so tired of all the sparkly-eyed "replacement suggestions" :blahblah: despite all the hints dropped that there's no replacement... so it's either :wall: or humor them. :whistling:

Speaking of replacement... I wish I could afford to go see Clapton & Winwood ... :veryhot:

Wow, Burdon and Bruce would have been fantastic (I don't care what Jack says about anybody, it doesn't affect his playing :D ). I scraped together the fortune required for Clapton/Winwood, and can't wait!

Doing my best to deflect attention from replacements. ;)

Sell your Grandma, your house, your kidneys - hell, sell your soul. Winwood is worth it. :D

Oh dear. Both Grandmas died before I was born. Never owned a house, and my kidneys aren't worth much (mild glomerular defect, the aftermath of HSP) - but you are so right. Now that I've seen both Terry Reid and resurrected Three Mile Pilot, Steve is on top of my dream list, above even Jim French. Thank you for the encouragement... Tell you what. I decided on a silly little make-a-wish pact: if the California board endorses my license without a hassle, I am definitely going to see him (if they don't my whole life is going to be derailed for at least a year anyway)

So... :Thinking:

...a soul for sale. Any takers? :unsure:

Interesting quote from Paul Rodgers recently (sorry if reported elsewhere):

When informed that Jimmy Page is, once again, itching to go on the road, and Robert Plant is seemingly happy to remain doing his own thing, I asked Rodgers the obvious question: “What would you do if Jimmy came knocking on your door once again?”

Rodgers’ reply will surprise you.

“I had never joined an existing band until joining forces with Queen. I formed Free with Paul Kossoff, Bad Company with Mick Ralphs and The Firm with Jimmy Page. Each of those bands had their own separate catalog. If Jimmy and John Paul were to call tomorrow and ask me to take on Led Zeppelin’s music and continue their legacy, I would have to say ‘no’. However, if they were interested in creating some new music, then that would be a different story.”

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Follow_...Rodgers_Part_4/

Interesting quote from Paul Rodgers recently (sorry if reported elsewhere):

When informed that Jimmy Page is, once again, itching to go on the road, and Robert Plant is seemingly happy to remain doing his own thing, I asked Rodgers the obvious question: “What would you do if Jimmy came knocking on your door once again?”

Rodgers’ reply will surprise you.

“I had never joined an existing band until joining forces with Queen. I formed Free with Paul Kossoff, Bad Company with Mick Ralphs and The Firm with Jimmy Page. Each of those bands had their own separate catalog. If Jimmy and John Paul were to call tomorrow and ask me to take on Led Zeppelin’s music and continue their legacy, I would have to say ‘no’. However, if they were interested in creating some new music, then that would be a different story.”

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Follow_...Rodgers_Part_4/

Be curious to know what it was that made him join forces with Queen given how he seems to prefer to form a new project.

Be curious to know what it was that made him join forces with Queen given how he seems to prefer to form a new project.

Actually I'm very happy to see that Queen+Paul Rogers brought out a new album. I'm glad it indeed turned into something new, not only a Queen/Bad Company/Free hits tour.

And for me Paul Rogers didn't really join them in "Queen" but they made a combination.

Actually I'm very happy to see that Queen+Paul Rogers brought out a new album. I'm glad it indeed turned into something new, not only a Queen/Bad Company/Free hits tour.

And for me Paul Rogers didn't really join them in "Queen" but they made a combination.

I think it's good they made it a new project as well. I haven't heard anything off it have you?

I think it's good they made it a new project as well. I haven't heard anything off it have you?

Yes I have the album. It's a good one if not a great one. It's not very Queen styled IMO but I haven't expected that so it's ok with me, though I wish there's more of Brian's solo.

I was never a big fan of Paul Rogers so I can't say a lot about his singing here. But I have to say I like what he did on Still Burning.

Some Things That Glitter is my favorite track, a beautiful love song.

Yes I have the album. It's a good one if not a great one. It's not very Queen styled IMO but I haven't expected that so it's ok with me, though I wish there's more of Brian's solo.

I was never a big fan of Paul Rogers so I can't say a lot about his singing here. But I have to say I like what he did on Still Burning.

Some Things That Glitter is my favorite track, a beautiful love song.

Cool - thanks for the review :D I like Paul Rodgers' voice but I only have two of his albums - Electric and Now. Some tracks are great and some a bit too overdone IMO.

Cool - thanks for the review :D I like Paul Rodgers' voice but I only have two of his albums - Electric and Now. Some tracks are great and some a bit too overdone IMO.

Back in the day, 1970's, I liked Bad Co. better than Led Zeppelin because of Paul Rodgers' voice! And their lyrics, I related to them better that LZ's at the time.

I can't believe that I just said that! :rolleyes:

Back in the day, 1970's, I liked Bad Co. better than Led Zeppelin because of Paul Rodgers' voice! And their lyrics, I related to them better that LZ's at the time.

LOL Paul Rodgers had a wonderful voice and still has it I'd say. But I don't know why his voice just can't really "touch" me like Robert Plant's does. There's a kind of sincerity in Robert's voice which stroke me so hard when I heard Zeppelin for the first time.

I gather that feeling has changed for you now or no? I was never that into Bad Company even though I do think Paul has a good voice. My older siblings had a great impact on my listening and I got a healthy dose of Zep as a kid so it just stuck :D

I like the new Queen + Paul Rogers album WAY MORE than I like Paul singing classic Queen stuff. I just can't seem to get past someone else singing these songs with Brian playing, other than Freddie. While I like the new album, I wished the name still wasn't Queen (even if it is partially, but at least there's a distinction).

I guess the same would happen IF someone else were to sing Zep songs with Jimmy and Jones playing. It's ok to throw in a couple of classic songs in a live setting, but new material is needed. Jimmy and Jones need to record new material if a new singer is involved (they said it was an new project and that it wasn't going to be Zep anyway).

I liked them too, you did know that Bad Company was the first band to record on Led Zeppelin's new label SwanSong? :)

I like the new Queen + Paul Rogers album WAY MORE than I like Paul singing classic Queen stuff. I just can't seem to get past someone else singing these songs with Brian playing, other than Freddie. While I like the new album, I wished the name still wasn't Queen (even if it is partially, but at least there's a distinction).

I guess the same would happen IF someone else were to sing Zep songs with Jimmy and Jones playing. It's ok to throw in a couple of classic songs in a live setting, but new material is needed. Jimmy and Jones need to record new material if a new singer is involved (they said it was an new project and that it wasn't going to be Zep anyway).

Yes but alas the project is now defunct and not happening.

I liked them too, you did know that Bad Company was the first band to record on Led Zeppelin's new label SwanSong? :)

:yesnod: :yesnod:

:D

LOL Paul Rodgers had a wonderful voice and still has it I'd say. But I don't know why his voice just can't really "touch" me like Robert Plant's does. There's a kind of sincerity in Robert's voice which stroke me so hard when I heard Zeppelin for the first time.

Wow you nailed it. Amazing. That's exactly how I feel about Paul's voice (same goes for Chris Farlowe BTW) It's powerful and gorgeous, but I always felt something is amiss - something that Robert has in spades. Some immediate intimacy, the open core quality, reaching out deep inside your soul. Those pretty English boys with obscenely seductive voices - Rod Stewart, Steve Marriott, Terry Reid, Robert Plant, Joe Cocker - knew (may be not consciously?) how to use that quality. I always wished Paul would "flaunt" his voice more often and thought may be that would "open it up" for the listener. But you comment made me think - well, may be be it's just not there, and never was. Oh, and before the stampede arrives - folks, we're just expressing our personal opinions! No offense meant to anyone, least of all to Paul Rodgers!

Wow you nailed it. Amazing. That's exactly how I feel about Paul's voice (same goes for Chris Farlowe BTW) It's powerful and gorgeous, but I always felt something is amiss - something that Robert has in spades. Some immediate intimacy, the open core quality, reaching out deep inside your soul. Those pretty English boys with obscenely seductive voices - Rod Stewart, Steve Marriott, Terry Reid, Robert Plant, Joe Cocker - knew (may be not consciously?) how to use that quality. I always wished Paul would "flaunt" his voice more often and thought may be that would "open it up" for the listener. But you comment made me think - well, may be be it's just not there, and never was. Oh, and before the stampede arrives - folks, we're just expressing our personal opinions! No offense meant to anyone, least of all to Paul Rodgers!

First time I've seen Joe Cocker described as a pretty boy! :lol:

I don't know--I mean, I adore Free, and Bad Company, though I agree Rodgers isn't in Robert's class. But not far behind (way better than Chris Farlowe, certainly). I actually think you've got two kinds of voices there--Plant, Marriott, Winwood, Reid, Mercury in one group, Stewart, Cocker in another--and Rodgers somewhere in between!

You said it beautifully!

And I've always assumed it's not intentionly "let it out" but more a natural thing.

First time I've seen Joe Cocker described as a pretty boy! :lol:

you're right! :D :D :D I was wondering if anyone would notice... BTW honestly I'm not such a big fan of his but I do respect the guy!

I don't know--I mean, I adore Free, and Bad Company, though I agree Rodgers isn't in Robert's class. But not far behind (way better than Chris Farlowe, certainly). I actually think you've got two kinds of voices there--Plant, Marriott, Winwood, Reid, Mercury in one group, Stewart, Cocker in another--and Rodgers somewhere in between!

My favorite of Paul's singing is actually on Mean Business, the 2nd Firm album.

Funny how details in opinions vary, though I agree for the most part. Though there can never be total agreement because the criterion in this discussion is so elusive and subjective - "that 'black-treacle-sexily-oozing-over-sandpaper' quality" (a quote shamelessly hijacked from Marion Ansell/Read)... IDK, I'd place Rodgers, Winwood and Mercury in the "in between" category - all divine voices, but the "touching" part is not there (OMG that's coming from a girl who at the age of 16 had a HUGE crush on FM! :blush: ) You're certainly onto something with Stewart and Cocker in the same category... can't quite explain why, but it seems right. :)

you're right! :D :D :D I was wondering if anyone would notice... BTW honestly I'm not such a big fan of his but I do respect the guy!

My favorite of Paul's singing is actually on Mean Business, the 2nd Firm album.

Funny how details in opinions vary, though I agree for the most part. Though there can never be total agreement because the criterion in this discussion is so elusive and subjective - "that 'black-treacle-sexily-oozing-over-sandpaper' quality" (a quote shamelessly hijacked from Marion Ansell/Read)... IDK, I'd place Rodgers, Winwood and Mercury in the "in between" category - all divine voices, but the "touching" part is not there (OMG that's coming from a girl who at the age of 16 had a HUGE crush on FM! :blush: ) You're certainly onto something with Stewart and Cocker in the same category... can't quite explain why, but it seems right. :)

Maybe also Van Morrison in the second category? (Love him--but no pretty boy, either. :D )

Archived