Who would be a good Plant replacement?

As far as people paying to see Robert do his own music I'd like to think that were the case but I would venture a guess that some pay to see him do the Zep tunes more so than his own material sad to say.

One thing that made the Raising Sand Revue show I saw so intriguing was the audience. There were some people there that were Alison fans, some were Plant/Zep fans which made for a very interesting cross section of people. I must say some of the biggest reactions were to the Zeppelin songs. The band could go from a very pensive and introspective moment to dropping the hammer of the Gods without warning in the next. This would cause the Zeppelin fans to begin fist pumping, headbanging and going nothing short of apeshit crazy during the Zeppelin songs. It was quite the spectacle to behold. The merging of these two musical worlds couldn't have been more effective, powerful or moving. I'm so glad I was there to witness that and can't wait to see to what heights they will take it next. I understand some people simply just not being into it but forging ahead onto new musical ground is one of the many things Led Zeppelin did best. To see Plant continue down that same path, especially during this stage of his career, makes me very happy to be still be along for the journey.

Having seen Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, and Jethro Tull open for Led Zeppelin, the transition between Allison Krauss' and Robert Plant's approach to music did not surprise me in the least.

I don't think I even once mentioned being "surprised" at any aspect of the Raising Sand Revue's performance. I was merely commenting on the reaction by some portions of the audience to the Zeppelin songs (and ones they covered). That was in reference to Ninelives' comment about some people coming just for the Zeppelin songs at Plant shows. I've seen lots of performers explore the extremes of music both onstage and off but very few have been able to pull it off with the finesse displayed by the musicians T-Bone assembled for Raising Sand the album and the tour that followed. That was my point, not that it had never been done before by anybody. Bill Graham put together some of the most eclectic bills that any promoter ever has at his various venues. Too bad that sort of eclecticism is in such short supply these days.

I said i think playing a few Zeppelin songs is fine. Robert Plant didn't do any Zeppelin songs on his first tour in 83/84. If anyone at the shows i saw were there to hear Zeppelin, they must have gone home disappointed. At the end of the show, i only saw ecstatic fans. :) I know by the time Robert toured Manic Nirvana (i was 6 rows away from the stage)!!!! he played quite a few Zeppelin songs. I was there for Robert's music and while i loved hearing some Zeppelin tunes, it would have been just as enjoyable to me if he didn't play any. I do think it's a little different for Robert to sing Zeppelin songs (especially ones he wrote/co-wrote, sang and recorded) than for Jimmy Page having a new singer replacing Robert for the vocals of "history" that person didn't make.

I personally wouldn't pay to hear a Robert Plant replacement. I am very, very doubtful that day will ever come anyway!

Edit: while i sadly missed what would have been my first Zeppelin show in 1980 due to the lose of John Bonham, i did see Robert, Jimmy and JPJ at Live Aid. To me, that was kind of a farewell tribute and some closure.

I'm confused then because I thought you had said you didn't want Jimmy to play Zep songs if he formed a new band (not arguing btw - just confused as usual!). I love Robert's solo music - makes no matter to me if he does or doesn't do Zep tunes. I like how he rearranges them but I've seen him in concert before he played them as part of his set and loved the show just as much. I do think many people are there to see him play his own songs - my comment was that there were some people, at least at shows I've seen, who are clearly there to hear the Zep tunes.

One thing that made the Raising Sand Revue show I saw so intriguing was the audience. There were some people there that were Alison fans, some were Plant/Zep fans which made for a very interesting cross section of people. I must say some of the biggest reactions were to the Zeppelin songs. The band could go from a very pensive and introspective moment to dropping the hammer of the Gods without warning in the next. This would cause the Zeppelin fans to begin fist pumping, headbanging and going nothing short of apeshit crazy during the Zeppelin songs. It was quite the spectacle to behold. The merging of these two musical worlds couldn't have been more effective, powerful or moving. I'm so glad I was there to witness that and can't wait to see to what heights they will take it next. I understand some people simply just not being into it but forging ahead onto new musical ground is one of the many things Led Zeppelin did best. To see Plant continue down that same path, especially during this stage of his career, makes me very happy to be still be along for the journey.

Totally agree Jahfin. The shows I saw had a great cross section of fans and it was nice to see people in both camps introduced to the other one. I heard a few comments at shows from Alison fans totally blown away by Robert - I think they had this image of him from Zep only and were really surprised at how well he sings etc.

I'm with you - I have a huge amount of respect for Robert for always forging ahead musically and trying new things. I think it's great after 40 something years of performing, he still has an incredible fire inside for challenging himself and not resting on his laurels. I look forward to whatever he has in store down the road.

I'm confused then because I thought you had said you didn't want Jimmy to play Zep songs if he formed a new band (not arguing btw - just confused as usual!). I love Robert's solo music - makes no matter to me if he does or doesn't do Zep tunes. I like how he rearranges them but I've seen him in concert before he played them as part of his set and loved the show just as much. I do think many people are there to see him play his own songs - my comment was that there were some people, at least at shows I've seen, who are clearly there to hear the Zep tunes.

I'm with you - I have a huge amount of respect for Robert for always forging ahead musically and trying new things. I think it's great after 40 something years of performing, he still has an incredible fire inside for challenging himself and not resting on his laurels. I look forward to whatever he has in store down the road.

Hi ninelives, refer to my original post on this #413. I said "minimal" and you answered why can't they play as many Zep songs as they want. I also said i didn't mind if Jimmy and JPJ played "a few". However, i also mentioned that i didn't think anyone else should sing Robert Plant's songs if Jimmy and JPJ form a new band. So in essence, a few songs wouldn't bother me (too much) but half a show of a Robert Plant impersonator would. Now if they want to do Zep songs instrumental, i would be totally cool with that :)

While i agree with you that many see Robert Plant in hopes of Zep songs, i doubt people who don't like his solo music go to his shows. Anyway, without an exit poll at the end of the concert, it's all speculation on our part.

Hi ninelives, refer to my original post on this #413. I said "minimal" and you answered why can't they play as many Zep songs as they want. I also said i didn't mind if Jimmy and JPJ played "a few". However, i also mentioned that i didn't think anyone else should sing Robert Plant's songs if Jimmy and JPJ form a new band. So in essence, a few songs wouldn't bother me (too much) but half a show of a Robert Plant impersonator would. Now if they want to do Zep songs instrumental, i would be totally cool with that :)

While i agree with you that many see Robert Plant in hopes of Zep songs, i doubt people who don't like his solo music go to his shows. Anyway, without an exit poll at the end of the concert, it's all speculation on our part.

Apologies - I got confused which sadly happens often to me! We'll have to agree to disagree though (totally respect your feelings of course) that it doesn't bother me to have someone else play Jimmy's guitar parts on Zep tunes when Robert performs them and I should say it wouldn't bother me if Jimmy and JPJ were to forge on with a new project and that singer did some Zep tunes.

Sadly the latter is a moot point since it appears there are no plans on their part to do anything (apart from JPJ's projects on his own) :(

Sadly the latter is a moot point since it appears there are no plans on their part to do anything (apart from JPJ's projects on his own) :(

It's very interesting to think about Ross Halfin's words about Jimmy having multipile "projects", hmmm...

According to the statement issued by Page's manager; Page, Jones and Jason Bonham are no longer looking for a singer. When they were, Jones made it clear they weren't interested in a Plant soundalike.

I guess that means that they can lose Coverale's phone number!!

Since Page, Jones and Bonham Jr have decided to have a go at it w/o Plant. WHo do you think would be able to fill his shoes?

Terry Reid would be my first choice. Although, I don't know how his voice has held up

Ian Gillan's voice sounds as great as it ever did. I think he would work well.

Actually, Adam Lambert, the runner up for Season 8 of American Idol, would be an excellent choice. He sang Whole Lotta Love and knocked it out of the park. Google Adam Lambert and hear for yourself.

Actually, Adam Lambert, the runner up for Season 8 of American Idol, would be an excellent choice. He sang Whole Lotta Love and knocked it out of the park. Google Adam Lambert and hear for yourself.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm tired of seeing this Adam Lambert stuff over and over.

I don't understand why Adam's fans are so eager to see him get into a famous band. Personally I think it would be better if he can establish himself first.

I won't deny Adam has a good voice, he sings fine. But is he in league with Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury? I would say "he has potential", 'cause I don't know in which direction and how far he would go. But the Adam Lambert who sung on AI is not someone I'd like to put in a collarboration with Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones(no you can't call it Zeppelin) or Queen. He is still faraway from that.

Page, Jones and Jason Bonham are no longer looking for a new singer. Even when they were, they weren't in search of a Plant soundalike.

Welcome to the forum.

Quick point, though. If you'd looked further up the page you posted on, you'd have seen people discussing Lambert, and the fact that he sang WLL didn't go unnoticed here either. No need to google him. ;) But in any case, no need for any singer as things stand right now, sadly.

Apologies - I got confused which sadly happens often to me! We'll have to agree to disagree though (totally respect your feelings of course) that it doesn't bother me to have someone else play Jimmy's guitar parts on Zep tunes when Robert performs them and I should say it wouldn't bother me if Jimmy and JPJ were to forge on with a new project and that singer did some Zep tunes.

Absolutely, i agree to disagree! It's not like any of us have any influence on what these gods, i mean guys :) do, anyway.

In my mind, noone can replace Robert Plant.

Just like noone could replace Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

Sure...John Bonham is dead, so he HAD to be replaced, but I don't really think he can be replaced either.

For me, Zeppelin is a great band because the sum of the 4 people in the band makes the band greater than any single member is, or could ever be.

I mean, none of the members have ever produced anything post-Zep that even comes close to what they did together.

IMHO :)

Ok i got a great answer. Why dont they get Robert Plant's oldest son Logan Plant. I mean he is already a singer.So why isnt he beening asked?

Ive seen some photos he looks just like a young Robert.

Probably because they're no longer looking for a singer. When they were looking for a singer, Jones said they didn't want a Plant soundalike. Then again, I've never heard Logan sing so I'm not sure how much he sounds like his Dad.

Probably because they're no longer looking for a singer. When they were looking for a singer, Jones said they didn't want a Plant soundalike. Then again, I've never heard Logan sing so I'm not sure how much he sounds like his Dad.

Go and look up Sons Of Albion on their myspace page they got some songs uploaded on their page.

He doesnt sound much like his father but you cant tell he is the spawn of The Golden God.

Ok i got a great answer. Why dont they get Robert Plant's oldest son Logan Plant. I mean he is already a singer.So why isnt he beening asked?

Ive seen some photos he looks just like a young Robert.

In addition to the fact the three Js aren't looking for anyone now as Jahfin mentioned, Logan has his own band and career - he's trying to establish himself not as his dad's son, but as himself if you get what I mean. Not to mention I don't think he'd ever do that to his dad, to be honest.

If you replace Robert Plant, it ceases to be Led Zeppelin. Ergo, getting someone else would make it a new band, and the term "replacement" becomes moot. In the end, anyone, no matter how gifted, would be either beyond arrogant or plain stupid to front "Led Zeppelin" other than Robert Plant.

If you replace Robert Plant, it ceases to be Led Zeppelin. Ergo, getting someone else would make it a new band, and the term "replacement" becomes moot. In the end, anyone, no matter how gifted, would be either beyond arrogant or plain stupid to front "Led Zeppelin" other than Robert Plant.

...feel the same towards John Bonham. IMHO, Led Zeppelin ended nearly 30 years ago.

IMHO, anything from the three together was at best an approximation of the original.

Archived