Neil Peart

ripson

Every top list of drummers you check these two are at the top. Whats you thoughts on this. Aside from the fact one has been gone 28 yrs who's the best. Their two totally different drummers. One is a skin bashers one is a percussionist. Which has better talent?

Every top list of drummers you check these two are at the top. Whats you thoughts on this. Aside from the fact one has been gone 28 yrs who's the best. Their two totally different drummers. One is a skin bashers one is a percussionist. Which has better talent?

How's it going "ripson?" Its kind of hard to compare these two legendary great drummers since their styles are completely different. Bonham was a powerhouse kick ass drummer while Peart was a softer but a little bit quicker drummer. They were both great drummers in their own right. ROCK ON!

Peart was a great drummer? Last I heard Rush are still actively touring and recording. As for comparing the two, I've never really understood the need to do that. I enjoy both drummers, I don't think of listening to my favorite artists as some sort of competition. I listen out of enjoyment for the music itself, not to determine who is "best" (not sure how one would determine that even if it was possible).

I think the two are definitely at the top of the class as far as rock drummers. I would say Peart is more of a percussionist due to his incorporation of many different percussion instruments. However, strictly comparing their drumming, I would say Bonzo has more feel to his drumming, whereas Peart is definitely more technical.

Peart was a great drummer? Last I heard Rush are still actively touring and recording. As for comparing the two, I've never really understood the need to do that. I enjoy both drummers, I don't think of listening to my favorite artists as some sort of competition. I listen out of enjoyment for the music itself, not to determine who is "best" (not sure how one would determine that even if it was possible).

Exactly - Neil "is" a great drummer! Rush is still recording and touring. I believe their summer 08 tour was 4th top grossing tour here in the states.

Like trying to choose between two favorite flavors of ice cream.

Bonzo was there first and blazed a trail for guys like Neil, but then again, Peart took that and extended it far beyond what Bonham did. Of course it's not fair because Bonzo passed away and no one knows how much he would have progressed had he had more time. There is no doubt he would still be amazing much as guys like Buddy Rich who kicked ass well into their 60's.

Peart is a good drummer. His lyrics have not entirely moved me much down the years though.

As for his drumming it always feel like I am thinking " why play one drum note when you can play 33?"

It does feel like he has to play as many drums as possible in any given tune. It's overkill at times for me.

Sometimes less is more :)

Bonzo for me everytime over any other drummer B):rolleyes:

I cannot comment on Neil Peart as I havent heard much of his/Rush's music.

On the otherhand I probably know every beat John Bonham ever recorded.

His playing and style went a long way to defining the Zeppelin sound - so much so I find it hard to believe there is a *better* drummer to be found anywhere.

I am of course biased and think many of these *best of* polls are affected by a person's loyalty to vote for the musician from their own favourite band.

I imagine the two drummer's styles are completely different and both ideally suited to the sound of the band's they are playing in.

It is hard for me to accept there could ever be a drummer more favourable to my ears than John Bonham...

...but like I said, I am biased!

caroselambra+

Peart is a good drummer. His lyrics have not entirely moved me much down the years though.

As for his drumming it always feel like I am thinking " why play one drum note when you can play 33?"

It does feel like he has to play as many drums as possible in any given tune. It's overkill at times for me.

I like him, but yeah you're right, it's overkill.

neilpeart.jpg

Rush were brilliant in the 70s, but since the mid 80s thay have found a groove and stick too and in it.

Neil Peart is a great drummer, but he is very linear, he said so himself, whereas JB GRHS, is everything a great drummer needs to be, he work is a perfect specimen of what a rock drummer should be. IMHO.

Regards, Danny

john bonham, hands down....

....but i love neil peart.

anyone who was lucky enough to see rush do "the necromancer" live can attest to some serious in-the-pocket punch from this man. he challenges his guitar player head to head and kicks the whole band in the teeth until they regurgitate the song like it is jumping out of them.

very impressive...

Archived