Jan. 20, 1969 Wheaton, MD US - Youth Center

druid

Was this a specific venue?

Was there a reason for playing a show, which for me being a local, seems like an obscure place to hold one... I do realize this was near the beginning... but IE

Detroit -> Wheaton?? (suburb of Washington DC) -> then, Pittsburgh?

Now that i think about it, were they booking in-between lay-overs?

Was there a reason for playing a show, which for me being a local, seems like an obscure place to hold one... I do realize this was near the beginning... but IE

Honestly,I don't know for sure....maybe-as hard as it is to imagine now-they weren't booking the bigger halls yet?

I'm really curious myself,because I grew up in Silver Spring,right outside of Wheaton...

That's how I know it wasn't in Rockville. B)

Someone here knows,I'm sure of it.

Welcome,fellow Marylander. B)

Honestly,I don't know for sure....maybe-as hard as it is to imagine now-they weren't booking the bigger halls yet?

I'm really curious myself,because I grew up in Silver Spring,right outside of Wheaton...

That's how I know it wasn't in Rockville. B)

Someone here knows,I'm sure of it.

Welcome,fellow Marylander. B)

Wow a third MD'er! Ya know you go to a site and expect people from all over...and :)

From what i can glean off the timelines and wiki articles (yep web articles i'm too young to have 'been there') it was only 3 months after they formed and 4-5 months after the yardbirds ended so yeah little old Wheaton MD had a little help launching Led Zepplin :)

Must be where it comes from, because Zepp is still huge in MD.

They played at the Wheaton Youth Center for 20 minutes. Richard Harrington, the Washington Post rock journalist emailed me information about this show which was confirmed by Richard Cole whom was interviewed by the aforementioned Harrington. I will try to get my info on this particular brushed over show that did happen.

I believe the venue was the Wheaton Youth Center at 11711 Georgia Avenue.

It was an unadvertised gig the band performed for $250 U.S. dollars on an open date

between the third and final show in Detroit and the next gig in Pittsburgh. There could

be a local connection to the promoter or D.C. market but nothing has been confirmed.

I believe the venue was the Wheaton Youth Center at 11711 Georgia Avenue.

It was an unadvertised gig the band performed for $250 U.S. dollars...

Peter Grant must've had stomach flu and in bed, too weak to wrestle out any more $ out of the promoter. I wonder if his $50 share paid for his indigestion. :huh:

$250 !!! WTF !

That was a pretty hectic tour schedule as well.. near the end of five nights straight, then on to the Boston Tea Party. Maybe Grant did it as a favour to the promoter? I remember there were references to the show in the book Capitol Rock by Mark Opsasnick, which I don't have handy with me atm.

Meg

Peter Grant must've had stomach flu and in bed, too weak to wrestle out any more $ out of the promoter. I wonder if his $50 share paid for his indigestion. :huh:

$250 !!! WTF !

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I quite enjoyed this movie. It's really more of a story of the local rock scene at the time, so I'm not sure how it would play in general release, but it is really fun. Lots of humor in it. And it brought back lots of memories... We are left at the end with the definitive answer as to whether this show happened ---- maybe :D

IMG_00000228_zpscf0190c3.jpg

IMG_00000229_zps0b9111a4.jpg

A few closer pics of the items in the shadow box here...

http://s272.photobucket.com/user/estherb818/library/LZ%20Played%20Here?sort=2&page=1

Hope Mr. Krulik can find a way to get this into somewhat wider release.

Hope Mr. Krulik can find a way to get this into somewhat wider release.

Thanks for the review ebk, glad you had a good time! I hope a wider release is in the works. Now that you and kdh have updated this thread, I'll be checking for updates.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived