Do we really want this?

caroselambra~

Going off tangent from the new singer discussion, but...

Led Zeppelin is old. Fans have to face it. These guys won't be around forever. The reason why Plant can't or won't tour is because he's old. It's almost like Muhammad Ali when he made a comeback against Larry Holmes for a shot at the Heavyweight title. Plant wants to go out in dignity and 02 gave him a legit reason to show up and sing.

The reason why Page and Jones want to do it is because they can do it. I don't think Plant can be bothered interest-wise, but also, the body and voice are probably not in shape to belt it out night after night.

People who rave about the O2 show overlook the fact that most of the keys to the songs were dropped much lower. Stairway to Heaven did not sound striking. Even Good Times Bad Times was mysteriously lowered. Plant has to play it safe, but in my opinion and to all those people who don't care how Plant sounds - a new singer will make a difference. A new singer will make a big difference. Unfortunately it will never be perfect and whoever they choose is going to have problems filling the big shoes of a seventies Plant...my two cents worth.

Fans will need to choose nostalgia or music...

Led Zeppelin is old. Fans have to face it. These guys won't be around forever. The reason why Plant can't or won't tour is because he's old. It's almost like Muhammad Ali when he made a comeback against Larry Holmes for a shot at the Heavyweight title. Plant wants to go out in dignity and 02 gave him a legit reason to show up and sing.

The reason why Page and Jones want to do it is because they can do it. I don't think Plant can be bothered interest-wise, but also, the body and voice are probably not in shape to belt it out night after night.

People who rave about the O2 show overlook the fact that most of the keys to the songs were dropped much lower. Stairway to Heaven did not sound striking. Even Good Times Bad Times was mysteriously lowered. Plant has to play it safe, but in my opinion and to all those people who don't care how Plant sounds - a new singer will make a difference. A new singer will make a big difference. Unfortunately it will never be perfect and whoever they choose is going to have problems filling the big shoes of a seventies Plant...my two cents worth.

Allow me to pontificate, but I disagree with this post in it's entirety and believe it to be a load of misinformed bollocks :D

allow me to remind you something: Jimmy and John are older than Robert!!!

and who gives a damn about the shape of his body...sure he had a hot skinny body but that's not the reason why people love them in the first place. Normal People love Led Zeppelin because they love listening to their music...

Plant's voice is great even now that he's 60 years old..he can sing like a lot of young singers can't...

I agree that the keys were lowered but the entire show (including the vocals) was great!!!

I really don't understand the "conflict" angle. I mean, Jimmy has confirmed that it isn't Zeppelin, and HE is going out on tour WITH JPJ.

Where is the conflict? Jimmy and JPJ are touring with Jr. on drums. They will have a vocalist. They will have a name, it won't be Led Zeppelin.

Put away the melodrama and enjoy living legends while they are still amongst us. The "inner conflict" will make your collective asses sore if you don't.

Agreed. This is (seemingly) a very rare opportunity to see Jimmy & John play together. What's not to get excited about? Rather they weren't doing it? OK, it's not Led Zeppelin but then again, that was never really likely was it? I can't wait, bring it on!

:stereo: Music, maestros!

Why choose? We can have it all. Loving original Zeppelin music is more than nostalgia anyway. How to account for the newer fans and younger fans, otherwise? (Hi Young Zep! Nice post.)

Clearly Plant is physically capable of touring, he's been doing it for years. So that's not an issue IMO, though he's earned a rest.

Other than that, you're right on the money. The O2 show deserved the universal rave reviews, but they did tune down for Plant, that's just the truth. They also didn't do much improvising, which is understandable given the circumstances, and made it "easier" (heh) on everyone.

Singing Zep as originally written and performed, and launching in to, or waiting out, the devoutly-to-be-hoped-for tangents The Bonham, Jones and Page band might be inclined to do, would seem to be out of Plant's range of interest, not to mention simply his range, now.

Anyway, Plant doesn't sound like the Plant of old, so things would be different, no matter what. If we're to accept different, then we can accept DIFFERENT, can't we?

They are iconic shoes to fill, and a wise singer won't try. But if Plant's heart is not in it, and another talented singer's heart is, that could be a good difference.

Everyone knows what a big seller a Led Zeppelin reunion would be if Plant were to give in. But how do you think this will sell without him and without the name Led Zeppelin? Obviously it cant be as big to those of us from the glory days of Led Zeppellin. Maybe they would draw close to the same numbers from a younger audience. But the die hards will not come out in force. They will chose their venues carefully. I would have bet my bottom dollar that in my geographical examle that they may have hit HSBC in Buffalo if we were lucky. If they do this thing without Plant they may indeed hit Rochester. No way Led Zeppelin would hit Rochester, too big. They were here in 1968 I understand after the release of Led Zeppelin II. But once they were rock Gods of no equal, Buffalo and NY were my only hope. Plant and Page came here on their own, with the Firm and the Now and Zen tour, but a Led Zeppelin reunion would have no equal at the box office. The same cannot be said for this act that doesnt include the man that sang Stairway to Heaven. He is not replacable and neither is Jimmy. Just seeing Page will sell many tickets though. And ifi I believe it is my last chance to see him I may go. But I wont have the same enthusiasm as if Plant were there. It will be sad in a way. It already is. I am hoping that when Plant said he wont do anything for two years, perhaps he woudl consider then? But the liklihood seems to be diminishing. Very sad. Why did all of the tragedies and untimely deaths have to happen to the greatest band to ever walkl the earth?

I hear you Yulkon. As much as I would like Plant to be part of this, I'll have to accept whatever comes. Nothing wrong with seeing Jimmy in Rochester, or Vancouver. Actually, it would be fucking brilliant in the right venue and with no outrageous pressure on the band. I would love to hear How Many More Times in the Orpheum.

It makes you wonder what the material will be? Will there be much new stuff? Or alot of covering old Zepp songs? Will they get someone that can resemble Plants voice? Good luck with that one.

Well, they can't fully replace Plant but in a smaller venue IMO, it wouldn't matter as much. Trying to do large venues....mmmmm, that's another matter. They might pull it off with some but us old crusty bastards wouldn't accept it :D

Agreed. This is (seemingly) a very rare opportunity to see Jimmy & John play together. What's not to get excited about? Rather they weren't doing it? OK, it's not Led Zeppelin but then again, that was never really likely was it? I can't wait, bring it on!

Hey

I am a huge led zepp fan and lso a music journo. We did a vidcats about band reunions last week and we talk about the upcming Led Zepp gigs about 2.54 into this vidcast

http://popjunkietv.com/2008/11/19/popjunki...ess/#comment-54

Personally I am againist it if Page doesn't play.

However,

I have def found a very cool replacement. If Luke Ward took his place then I would totally be up for it..

http://popjunkietv.com/2008/11/17/i-have-f...n-reunion-tour/

Any of you guys seen Boot Led Zepp? They are amazing!!!!

Everyone knows what a big seller a Led Zeppelin reunion would be if Plant were to give in. But how do you think this will sell without him and without the name Led Zeppelin? Obviously it cant be as big to those of us from the glory days of Led Zeppellin. Maybe they would draw close to the same numbers from a younger audience. But the die hards will not come out in force. They will chose their venues carefully. I would have bet my bottom dollar that in my geographical examle that they may have hit HSBC in Buffalo if we were lucky. If they do this thing without Plant they may indeed hit Rochester. No way Led Zeppelin would hit Rochester, too big. They were here in 1968 I understand after the release of Led Zeppelin II. But once they were rock Gods of no equal, Buffalo and NY were my only hope. Plant and Page came here on their own, with the Firm and the Now and Zen tour, but a Led Zeppelin reunion would have no equal at the box office. The same cannot be said for this act that doesnt include the man that sang Stairway to Heaven. He is not replacable and neither is Jimmy. Just seeing Page will sell many tickets though. And ifi I believe it is my last chance to see him I may go. But I wont have the same enthusiasm as if Plant were there. It will be sad in a way. It already is. I am hoping that when Plant said he wont do anything for two years, perhaps he woudl consider then? But the liklihood seems to be diminishing. Very sad. Why did all of the tragedies and untimely deaths have to happen to the greatest band to ever walkl the earth?

Agreed that Led Zeppelin would be so big it would never be touched. But I'm not nostalgic enough to think it would be the same musically as when they were all in their twenties, either. I mean, geez, I would hope not!

After the past year or so of interest and accolades, the chance to see Page would sell many tickets. I got the biggest kick out of Bob Costas during the Olympics closing ceremony "ah... there he is... we were told he would be here... Jimmy Page!" as though a magic apparition no one really believed would happen had popped up. And he's a sports caster!

Seeing Page and Jones together will sell more. I know the thought makes me giddy with anticipation, and I think it would anyone who can hear, frankly. If those two sat on a stage together with kazoos and zithers I would go.

Seeing Page, Jones and Jason Bonham together will sell still more. The possibilities for the interplay there are really exciting! He's got the DNA and knows the history, but he's his own musician. New blood, from a great blood line, joining the old studs. What's not to be curious about?

If the band comes out with a passionate, talented singer and new music, that puts it over the "nostalgia" hurdle. But I don't think most people are really concerned with the nostalgia BS, anyway... like loving music for 30 years is a mark of your lack of cool. Who cares? Anyone who would seriously say "Oh, I would never go see Jimmy Page play Led Zeppelin music live, what a sell out" doesn't deserve a ticket anyway.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd when Strange Sensation launched into WWL without a Page, Jones or Bonham anywhere in the vicinity, the first time those three kicks into a famous Zep riff, roofs are going to come off...

I think they will do just fine. B)

Certainly it would be great just to see Page himself. But its just so sad that Plant wont do it. It just wont be quite the same. Like Lennon going out there with Ringo and no McCartney. But Page does have more appeal than any other living guitarist in my opinion. The Rolling Stones would never sell out if Jagger were not there. Page can sell out many a venue just becuase of who he is. But not to the capacity that if Plant were there and they could call it truly Led Zeppelin. I dont know what they will call this band, but it cant bring the hoopla that a Led Zeppelin reunion in full would bring. But it could still be a success. But to me, its sad that Plant wont be a part of it. I wish I knew what was being said behind closed doors between him and Jimmy?

Oh, I agree. Christ, I started a thread on the subject :D . I obviously would prefer to have Plant involved and it is still my opinion that he is making a mistake not doing so but, Page, Jones, Bonham and who or whatever, would be awsome in the right venue. I knew my open letter was a shot in the dark and, as much as I'd like to see them all together, I'm not pissed at Plant for stepping aside. If a tour comes, I'll be going to as many show's as I can muster. I don't have any idea what may have happened between Page and Plant outside of what has been dicussed on this forum.

Allow me to pontificate, but I disagree with this post in it's entirety and believe it to be a load of misinformed bollocks :D

I have to agree with you. Age is how you want to feel. Zeppelin fans never made one stink over Plant missing a note, or Jimmy.

They were there for the "music." Not to kick them out of a cushy nest because they make a mistake.

We've seen this same viewpoint in the past, seems I recall 28-38 milllion people logging on and making the servers crash :soapbox:

I have to agree with you. Age is how you want to feel. Zeppelin fans never made one stink over Plant missing a note, or Jimmy.They were there for the "music." Not to kick them out of a cushy nest because they make a mistake.

We've seen this same viewpoint in the past, seems I recall 28-38 milllion people logging on and making the servers crash :soapbox:

Are you sure about that????

Every time I read the discussions here thats all the boardmembers seem to do......

Maybe that is a reason why some in the band are reluctant to tuor again

Every time I read the discussions here thats all the boardmembers seem to do......

i wouldnt be bothered to be honest - but i wouldnt want them to make an exhibition as they did at live aid

Hell yes!!!

Throw Plant to the curb! His range isn't what it used to be and he's been pussying his way through the live shows since the beginning anyways. If you don't believe me take a listen to any live performance of Black Dog or Rock and Roll. Get someone who CAN belt them out like the recordings on a nightly basis, call it Zeppelin or don't call it Zeppelin, I don't give a crap. It's up to Jimmy Page any way. It would be neat to see Page as the front man and say a few words into a mic for a change. Maybe take a Santana or Pete Townshend kind of roll in the live show and let the lead singer take the back seat. Some may call "Blasphemy" on me. I don't care. The first time they set foot on stage without Bonzo change the rules for ever!

PS. Did anyone else hear Robert Fudge Stairway to Heaven at the O2 or was it just me?

Like I said 28 million trying to buy tickets is proof enough for me. Good thing for backup files eh?

Hell yes!!!

Throw Plant to the curb! His range isn't what it used to be and he's been pussying his way through the live shows since the beginning anyways. If you don't believe me take a listen to any live performance of Black Dog or Rock and Roll. Get someone who CAN belt them out like the recordings on a nightly basis, call it Zeppelin or don't call it Zeppelin, I don't give a crap. It's up to Jimmy Page any way. It would be neat to see Page as the front man and say a few words into a mic for a change. Maybe take a Santana or Pete Townshend kind of roll in the live show and let the lead singer take the back seat. Some may call "Blasphemy" on me. I don't care. The first time they set foot on stage without Bonzo change the rules for ever!

PS. Did anyone else hear Robert Fudge Stairway to Heaven at the O2 or was it just me?

:rolleyes:

Hell yes!!!

So I guess if Robert changes his mind (hypothetically) and decides to do more shows with JP Jason and JPJ, you won't come. Good. That will be one less person competing for tickets.

:wave:

Hell yes!!!

oh another one, where are they being produced?. :blink:

Archived