Do we really want this?

caroselambra~

the only real issue here is whether or not they use Led Zeppelin as the name of some future band. I don't give a toss what Page, Jones, or Plant do on their own, or who they do it with. I would love to see them playing in any and all combinations. what i would not like to see is them playing with the name "Led Zeppelin" on some huge tour, especially not with new music. I think this particular incarnation of the The Who plays quite well, and I believe the Stones are halfway decent as well. the problem i have with them is that they insist on calling themselves something they are really not. look at The Police, you just know the only reason they reunited was because none of them could get together a decent solo career. why tour as Sting when you can take shelter under The Police moniker and get twice as many people packed into a stadium merely from the name alone? at least with The Police it was The Police. i'm not saying Page and Jones are going to use the name Led Zeppelin, and i'm not saying they're only in it for the money, what i'm saying is that if they should choose to use "Led Zeppelin" as the name of their band, i would be forced to think seriously about what their intents are. part of Led Zeppelin's legacy, and every other band who has been forced to confront the issue of a dead bandmate, is what they chose to do after the band could no longer continue in it's original form. they honored Bonzo's place in the band by calling it quits and realizing it just wasn't Led Zeppelin without him. they carried on with that respect for 28 years, which was very honorable and only served to add to the legendary Zeppelin mystique. think about bands that have mucked around after the original lineup has dispersed. there's a reason that many Pink Floyd fans frown upon the albums after The Wall. there's a reason Velvet Underground fans tend to dismiss Squeeze as a legitimate album. there's a reason why people make fun of the Stones all the time. it goes on and on... a tour as Led Zeppelin would certainly put a great stain on their legacy, no matter how legendary it is...

look at The Police, you just know the only reason they reunited was because none of them could get together a decent solo career. why tour as Sting when you can take shelter under The Police moniker and get twice as many people packed into a stadium merely from the name alone? at least with The Police it was The Police.

Offtopic, but for the mere sake of information, this Police reunion epi you refer to seems to be over by now: Sting and the Police

Thank you for drawing my attention back to Sting's pursuits though.

:)

on kind of a side note here. Am I the only drummer on this forum that doesn't blame Phil Collins for the live aid performance? did anyone hear stairway? tony thompson was the one screwing that up. It came right from Jimmy's mouth that they spent 45 minutes trying to get thompson to learn the intro to rock and roll during rehearsals. and if you watch it, collins is the one playing the 16th notes on the snare during rock and roll...like it's supposed to be played. Playing with 2 drummers requires some musical tact from each drummer...those 2 did not have it together...agreed. but Phil collins is a damn good musician, and a very musical drummer...anyway my 2 cents.

I think the issue wasn't that Collins isn't a good drummer, but that two drummers is hard to pull off and wasn't necessary, and Collins should've stayed off the stage for that reason alone.

It was a stunt, and it didn't help matters.

I think the issue wasn't that Collins isn't a good drummer, but that two drummers is hard to pull off and wasn't necessary, and Collins should've stayed off the stage for that reason alone.

It was a stunt, and it didn't help matters.

Collins is an excellent drummer and had very little to do with the disaster that ensued

I remember hanging out with Pig Pen. He was a really nice guy. It was a beautiful day and we all had a splendid time. But to answer your question, the Grateful Dead quit when Jerry Garcia died.

The Grateful Dead played as such this year.

What if Robert himself were to hold a press confrence and say that he wants the new line up to be called Led Zeppelin, that he is blown away by the new singer. With all the material Jimmy has saved up they could probably put out 3 or 4 new Zeppelin albums.

Robert could say that he just wants to take a break from the whole scene for awhile but that he fully signs off on his replacement. This would fully protect the legacy and let the band continue the journey started 40 years ago.

They could do the really heavy material Jimmy and Bonzo wanted to do before Bonzo's death.

This whole legacy thing is way overblown, we should just let the guys jam and calll it whatever they want.

Life is full of changes and its not up to us to pressure Jimmy one way or another.

Jimmy is looking so healthy these days he could live to be a hundred and put out a Zeppelin album every year until then. Nothing can ever change the achievemnts of the OG four members.

What if Jimmy quit guitar and put out only digital house music trax. It is up to him or them. All this walking around on eggshells being afraid to tarnish the legacy is stupid because life changes and moves on.

Hear, hear!

You know what's ironic, Plant has always been the one who resists the Legend, Mythic, Legacy thing. He could explode that any time he wants by praising a new incarnation. If you love something, set it free, wouldn't that hearken to the 60's West Coast Hippie vibe? :hippy:;)

If Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham stand on stage together with a gifted singer, playing like Zeppelin, rockin', jammin' and flyin' (then, hush...), playing from the Zeppelin catalog, they will be adding to the Zeppelin story in people's minds, no matter what they're called. A rose by any other name...

Yes, I really want this. :)

:D

Exactly. Thank got for Hendrix and Morrison for sparing us from having to watch them age.

Too bad Elvis did not die before "Fat Elvis" tarnished his reputation. Come on..

Elvis is still considered the King.

No matter what happens LED ZEPPELIN is still the greatest band and they had their days of dominance from the late 60's until 1980. We've enjoyed the music ever since and will continue to do so. Nothing will change that.

More importantly is seems as though Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are in form and ready to produce something magical. Jimmy has not been this focused in at least twenty years. Yet, even the biggest fans are sending mixed messages and focusing on fear.

Two more years of waiting around is not an option. If Robert is not on board then I say move on in whatever shape you see fit. I know there is at least one more great album left in Jimmy and with JPJ on board I think we will finally see it. Just sit back and enjoy. What's the other option? Hope that one of our heroes dies so that we don't have to worry about a tarnished reputation. It just doe not make sense; the argument is simply based on fear.

Exactly. Thank got for Hendrix and Morrison for sparing us from having to watch them age.

Too bad Elvis did not die before "Fat Elvis" tarnished his reputation. Come on..

Elvis is still considered the King.

No matter what happens LED ZEPPELIN is still the greatest band and they had their days of dominance from the late 60's until 1980. We've enjoyed the music ever since and will continue to do so. Nothing will change that.

More importantly is seems as though Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are in form and ready to produce something magical. Jimmy has not been this focused in at least twenty years. Yet, even the biggest fans are sending mixed messages and focusing on fear.

Two more years of waiting around is not an option. If Robert is not on board then I say move on in whatever shape you see fit. I know there is at least one more great album left in Jimmy and with JPJ on board I think we will finally see it. Just sit back and enjoy. What's the other option? Hope that one of our heroes dies so that we don't have to worry about a tarnished reputation. It just doe not make sense; the argument is simply based on fear.

Well said. That's sums a lot of this up. :goodpost:

Well said. That's sums a lot of this up. :goodpost:

I am not really a fan of Paul Weller...but when asked if The Jam would ever reform his reply was this:

*My kids would have to be destitute and starving before that happened....the success of any band is the culmination of a group of people coming together with fresh ideas, time, place, circumstance AND knowing when to stop. Always quit when you're at the top because the only way is down after that!

Apparently to some, The Jam are still a legend.

Thank my daughter for this insight :)

I am not really a fan of Paul Weller...but when asked if The Jam would ever reform his reply was this:

*My kids would have to be destitute and starving before that happened....the success of any band is the culmination of a group of people coming together with fresh ideas, time, place, circumstance AND knowing when to stop. Always quit when you're at the top because the only way is down after that!

Apparently to some, The Jam are still a legend.

Thank my daughter for this insight :)

David Byrne said something along those lines; "It’s very common for people to think that you can go back in time and have the same impulses and create more of the same thing. That’s like saying, “Why don’t you go marry your first wife again and be just as happy and loving and exciting as you were then?” There’s just no way in a million years it’s going to happen, unless you’re Elizabeth Taylor. And even then I’m sure it isn’t quite the same.

You know what's ironic, Plant has always been the one who resists the Legend, Mythic, Legacy thing. He could explode that any time he wants by praising a new incarnation. If you love something, set it free, wouldn't that hearken to the 60's West Coast Hippie vibe? :hippy:;)

That's exactly what he did. He said he's out of any new plans, and wishes the other three success with them. Not much more he can do.

On the other hand, there's a helluva a lot more Jimmy and co. can do. Get on with it, guys!! I want this, too.

That's exactly what he did. He said he's out of any new plans, and wishes the other three success with them. Not much more he can do.

On the other hand, there's a helluva a lot more Jimmy and co. can do. Get on with it, guys!! I want this, too.

Yes indeed! That's how I feel too.

-shakes head-

NO!

I don't want them to tour...it would just put them up there with the Rolling Stones...touring at 80. I like Led Zeppelins magic...they are still so popular without touring...I just don't think its necessary.

Acc. to popbitch.com (via exclaim.ca):

In the last few weeks, the news that Led Zeppelin might be touring without Robert Plant and with Alter Bridge front-man Myles Kennedy has been spreading like the plague. Fortunately, a fledgling rumour on reliable British gossip site Popbitch suggests that Jimmy Page might have enough common sense to wait for Plant.

According to a quote on the site, “Page hasn't quite been singing from the same songsheet. He got talking to a fan last week and said that he'd never tour without Robert Plant.”

ETA: Where did the thread on this thing go? Did something go awry in it (already!)?

Yes, I really want this. No, I don't think the group should be called Led Zeppelin without RP.

As far as JP's recent alleged comments to a fan reported via pimpwire, I strongly suspect he said he has no intentions of touring as "Led Zeppelin" without RP. He said as much as this within the last couple of months in an actual interview I saw (don't remember when/where). His comment was along the lines of "it would take 4 members".

There have been many comments from fans and other musicians that JP & JPJ would be destroying the Zep legacy with this project, if indeed there is a project, and many seem to imply that they should just fade off into the sunset rather than do anything that may upset the "legacy" and "depress" eveyone.

These men are musicians. They are artists. This is something that is deeply rooted in the very fabric of their being, regardless of their age. They express themselves to the world through their music. I cannot understand how anyone feels they have such superiority as to dismiss the future work of these men as something that will destroy the legacy of the band they were once a part of, rather than something that could very well be a positive addition to their careers and to the music they have given us. Particularly when that future work is as yet unheard and unseen.

Mother Theresa continued to make enormous contributions to humanity through her work way, way into her years. Should she have stopped at a certain point because she was a "dinosaur" and for fear of destroying her legacy? Should Buddy Guy pack it in? How about Steven Spielberg? Should we cringe every time he directs a new film for fear it will tarnish the ET, Jaws, Star Wars legacy? These people and thousands of others continue(d) to do what they were put here to do - make their contributions to society with the gifts they were given. Like those contributions or not - there are many who are grateful for them.

It's also difficult to fathom how people can listen to one or two tracks of a band or vocalist, such as Myles Kennedy, and write a scathing review stating this or that person can't sing, can't play the guitar, can't compose, is a loser, "fuck them they suck", etc, etc, etc.

Long, long ago in countries not too far away there were music critics bashing the living hell out of our favorite band for many a day. And most recently there was one who did so to the Black Crowes after admitting to listening to only two tracks of Warpaint. Shame, shame, shame...... very poor form.

Are JP, JPJ & JB working toward the release of new material and possibly a tour incorporating both new and old music? I think they are and I truly hope they enjoy themselves and it gives them great personal satisfaction, which they most righteously deserve. And I hope all the naysayers have to enjoy a nice crow dinner 'bout this time next year :)

Until then.......

YES I REALLY WANT THIS!

I hope Page, Jones, and Bonham go on tour and record new material although I'm not sure if adding a new vocalist would complicate the situation with Plant.

I hope Plant changes his mind but if he doesn't I would still love to see the three J's and any other future projects of Plant and the three J's.

Either way they're all still great for the music that they brought us and cheers for optimistic hope that they bring us more in the near future.

Archived