Red Hot Chili Peppers

timoth

My favorite band of the modern day. The have an all time great in guitarist John Frusciante, their bassist is amazing as well. The songs are simply amazing IMO.

No band will ever be able to touch Led Zeppelin for me, but the Chili Peppers are in second and probably won't lose that spot for me either.

What do you guys think of them?

Here are a couple of their songs (non singles, just a couple of my favorites). These are two great songs IMO.

Venice Queen

Edited by timoth

I would say that I love that Chili Peppers, but I can't say I really care for alot of the early stuff.

I really love Stadium Arcadium and By The Way. Californication and BSSM are also pretty damn good.

^^^Most "real" RHCP fans hate the new stuff, but it's 10x more melodic, musical, and classic sounding, and I just really like that about them

Venice Queen is gorgeous.

Esp. In Michigan is about as good as it gets.

Dosed was the first song that I really loved by them.

I like SA and BTW all the way through and the majority of Californication and BSSM.

I can see people gettin sick of the overplaying of their singles, of which, there are many, but I can't possibly understand how people can say they have gotten worse, when it's quite obvious that every musician in the band has really expanded their capabilities, in just about every about every aspect one can.

Lyrics have always been the weak point, for me, but they make up for that with cool vocal harmonies. It's about the music anyway. He could be singing nursery rhymes if they kept every thing else the same.

I like them a lot. First heard them in 1989 I think - that was Mother's Milk - and thought it was pretty good. But it was Blood Sugar Sex Magik a couple of years later that won me over completely. At that time they were the best band around, no question about it in my book. It was a real blow for the band when they lost Frusciante, and the album they did with Dave Navarro was nowhere nearly as good; only a very small number of the songs were really worth putting out. They obviously weren't as inspired as they had been. The peculiar musical combination of funk and rock (or punk) that they developed from the Hendrix legacy was a specialty of theirs, and an area where the whole band just came into its own - and it wasn't really an area where Navarro, with his particular background, could contribute a lot.

When Frusciante rejoined them it just clicked again. Californication and By The Way, while arguably not as strong as Blood Sugar Sex Magik, were still really good albums. Not only was their chemistry restored in that they could again sound great doing what they used to, because with greater confidence - but they also showed a willingness to explore, very successfully, new musical points of departure, with influences from 1970's pop bands and The Beach Boys being put to good use. Stadium Arcadium was a continuation in this vein, even more funky perhaps than the preceding albums, and packed with great songs, and as usual, some of the best songs didn't become hits.

I agree about Especially in Michigan - what a great song that is. :thumbsup:

Edited by Otto Masson

Breaking the Girl is my favorite song of theirs. They were one of those bands that you were glad happened at the time. Like Zeppelin, it wasn't just the musicianship, it was the vibe that made the Chili Peppers so cool.

Edited by Suz

One of my fav lines of all time..

I got stopped by a lady cop

In my automobile

She said get out and spread your legs

And then she tried to cop a feel

That cop she was all dressed in blue

Was she pretty? Boy I'm tellin' you

She stuck my butt with her big black stick

I said "what's up?" now suck my dick

Like a ram getting ready to jam the lamb

She whimpered just a little when she felt my hand

On her crotch so very warm

I could feel her getting wet through her uniform

Proppin' her up on the black and white

Unzipped and slipped "ooo that's tight"

I swatted her like no swat team can

Turned a cherry pie right into jam

B)

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

ahhhhhhhhhh! they are a top band within my top five bands... there funk rock punk!!. some of the all times greatest guitarist the music biz as on offer... Flea is a an amazing basses, Chad Smith is a fab drummer and the magic vocals of Anthony Kiedis what a great mix... there Zeppelin playing punk,funk rock `n` roll... what is there not to like, powerful magical music wow is all I can say, maybe I should just sit a listen too the Red Hot Chilli Peppers... sounds like a plan to me...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Was a fan in my late teens, early 20s then lost interest. However - there are 2 moments I keep going back to with these guys - specifically with John Frusciante. One is the clip of him and Flea attempting "Peon" on stage. The other is John covering "How Deep is Your Love". Both up on YT. 

^ Great fucking song! 
Looking forward to the new chili peppers release with John back in the fold. They are playing the stadium here in September. Definitely going to go, but not buying tix until day of the show. Last time I saw them, Mrs W was pregnant with Junior and Snoop was the opener. Junior will be in attendance for this one. 🤘🏼