THE FLEETWOOD MAC THREAD

ZeppFanForever

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Hope the week went well with all of you. I have the day off on this nice Halloween day or should I say Wholloween day. I still can't believe that our forum lost the Evster. I have learned so much from him as I'm sure that all of you have as well. I hope some day he comes back, now that would be special huh? I hope you're reading this Evster, I dedicate this thread to you!

I am deeply overwhelmed that many of you enjoyed reading my threads on ZEPPELIN as well as other bands. I have also enjoyed reading all of your threads on numerous topics resulting in me learning something different. I feel that as ZEPPELIN fanatics that many of us have so much in common but it is mainly ZEPPELIN that brings us all together in unity here on the ZEPPELIN forum. And because of this, we also have the responsibility as ZEPPELIN fans in keeping the ZEPPELIN legend and legacy alive as well as the memory of John Henry Bonham. Now, it is time for me to begin the thread.

I really enjoyed reading the "What's Your Favorite Guitarists Thread" that was started, written and submitted by fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic "leddy." All of our all-time greatest as well as our favorite Guitarist's names were brought up on this thread. However, there was one legendary Guitarist that was overlooked and forgotten on "leddy's" thread that I feel would be a good topic of discussion. It was also during this time that I was trying to decide on many topics to write about on my next thread. I feel that this legendary Guitarist and his band that I am going to write about is a great TRUE Rock n' Roll tale that would also prove fatal. The Guitarist's name is Mr. Peter Green and his legendary band I am talking about is none other than PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC. I have read two FLEETWOOD MAC thread's here on the forum, Any Mac Fans Thread and the Peter Green Thread. However, I feel that all of you need to know the TRUE and tragic story of FLEETWOOD MAC in order to appreciate the accomplishments and achievements of one Peter Green.

When you think of FLEETWOOD MAC today, you think of a very gifted American/British band comprising of two native California U.S.A. members named Lindsey Buckingham (Vocals and Guitar), the always beautiful Stevie Nicks (Vocals) and three fellow British members with two being the only original members left from the original PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC line-up. I'm talking about the beautiful Christine McVie (Vocals and Keyboards), her ex-husband and original member John McVie (Bassist) and original member Mick Fleetwood (Drums). With this legendary mid-1970's line-up, the new FLEETWOOD MAC would achieve more fame and fortune beyond their wildest dreams thus moving on to greater heights unimagined. It would also result in forgetting any accomplishments and achievements that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC did from 1967 to 1970. But what people don't realize is that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC had already laid down a great foundation by developing a reputation in the late 1960's and early 1970's for being one of the all-time greatest Hard Rock Blues bands ever.

PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC was originally born in London, England in 1967 comprising of Peter Green (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Jeremy Spencer (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Danny Kirwan (He would join the band later as the third Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), John McVie (Bassist) and Mick Fleetwood (Drums). This original legendary line-up would truly kick ass with Rock n' Roll in more ways than one and at the same time, give you some of the greatest Blues Rock music moments that you have ever heard in your life. PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC'S early beginnings would be traced all the way back to another great legendary 1960's Blues band. JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS would solely be responsible for bringing together Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood in his band.

PETER GREEN will forever go down in Rock n' Roll history as being one of the greatest guitarists ever yet a forgotten Guitarist that got lost somewhere in time in Rock n' Roll history. In Green's prime, in my opinion, I would rank him up there with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page easily. However, his decision to quit FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970 during the height of their popularity and disappear from the Rock n' Roll world would prove to be fatal on his part making it one of Rock's all-time greatest tragedy stories ever. It would be during the beginning years of FLEETWOOD MAC from 1967 to 1970 that Peter Green would gain a worldwide reputation by quickly establishing himself as one of the all-time Greatest Guitarist's ever. In my opinion, Peter Green, in his prime, was the ONLY Guitarist that ever dared to challenge Jimi Hendrix for his prestigious worldwide crown as THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME. Green's guitar styles are similar to that of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and David Gilmour. However, Green's high pitched guitar sound would influence another great guitar legend named Carlos Santana thus making Green's sound his trademark that would last to this very day.

Peter Green also wrote some of Rock's all-time greatest songs ever that would gain more fame by being trademark songs for other great legendary bands. SANTANA immortalized Green's "Black Magic Woman" as AEROSMITH did with "Rattlesnake Shake" and JUDAS PRIEST with Green's legendary masterpiece "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)."

There are so many albums that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC has recorded from 1967 to 1970 that remained unreleased for many years UNTIL NOW. There are also some great new CD collections that make up for all of those years that the early MAC'S albums were unreleased. For the new and curious beginner, I would highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN, MAN OF THE WORLD, THE ANTHOLOGY 1968-1988. This collection contains the majority of Green's best work including his years with JOHN MAYALL and FLEETWOOD MAC. I also highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set of A HARD ROAD by JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS as well as THEN PLAY ON by FLEETWOOD MAC. As for the new collections, I highly recommend the incredible 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BBC, the 2-CD set of THE VAUDEVILLE YEARS OF FLEETWOOD MAC 1968 TO 1970, FLEETWOOD MAC, SHOW-BIZ BLUES 1968 TO 1970 VOLUME 2 and the 6-CD set of FLEETWOOD MAC, THE COMPLETE BLUE HORIZON SESSIONS 1967-1969. I guarantee you that you will have heard everything there is on PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC if you purchase everything that I have mentioned on this thread.

There are not many great sounding live quality albums of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC let alone on CD. But that would change in the 1990's. There would be bad sound quality live shows of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE MARQUEE and LIVE IN LONDON 1968 released on CD. However, in 1998, FLEETWOOD MAC'S BLISTERING ASS KICKING live shows at The Boston Tea Party are legendary in the sense that in my opinion, they are only one of two shows that capture Peter Green at his ABSOLUTE BEST! You are probably asking yourself, "why didn't FLEETWOOD MAC release a live album of THE BOSTON TEA PARTY shows in 1970?" The truth is, these shows were being recorded live for a future release but with Green's departure from FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970, the tapes were shelved indefinitely. The sound quality of the BOSTON TEA PARTY bootlegs that were available and sold in the 1980's and 1990's were absolutely awful and did FLEETWOOD MAC'S blistering and devastating live performances at the BOSTON TEA PARTY no justice at all. In 1998, Snapper Music would find the original 8-Track master tapes and Digitally Remaster and Remix them using today's updated studio technology process. Now, we can finally listen to these three part separate CD sets of the live BOSTON TEA PARTY shows for ourselves in great sounding quality as it was originally truly intended to be heard and be blown away with TOTAL DISBELIEF! These shows will definitely blow your mind away! You have to hear these 3-CD's in three parts to believe it. The other live show I am talking about is the single CD entitled FLEETWOOD MAC, SHRINE '69. This is another great live show with great sound quality.

As for Peter Green today, he is NO WHERE near the great guitarist he once was. After putting down the guitar and not playing it for years along with his failing health, his playing talent deminished. If you ever get a chance, check out the 2003 DVD entitled AN EVENING WITH PETER GREEN SPLINTER GROUP IN CONCERT. See it for yourself.

I hope I didn't talk your ears off. I hope you enjoyed reading my thread. Please comment on it whether it is a positive or negative one. I appreciate true honesty. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Great Information. I am a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac and never knew the story of how they got started. That is so strange I was thinking about Fleetwood Mac and other day and pulled out my RUMORS Album. I never tire of it. Stevie Nicks was always my idol in high school. I remember we all wore long flowy skirts and had our hair waved trying to look like her. Lindsey Buckingham is so talented. I always wish he and Stevie were together. I believe he is the love of her life.

I will find Peter Greens DVD and give it a listen.

Thank You!!

Fleetwood Mac is one of those bands that I didn't like when I was a little younger, probably either because my dad liked them and I was simply being rebellious, or I thought they sounded too "soft rock". However, it seems like as I go back, I find a great deal of appreciation for them, and feel that their "soft rock phase" aka 1975 onward is a bit underrated by the hipsters.

And besides, Lindsey Buckingham is an absolutely amazing guitar player.

Great Information. I am a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac and never knew the story of how they got started. That is so strange I was thinking about Fleetwood Mac and other day and pulled out my RUMORS Album. I never tire of it. Stevie Nicks was always my idol in high school. I remember we all wore long flowy skirts and had our hair waved trying to look like her. Lindsey Buckingham is so talented. I always wish he and Stevie were together. I believe he is the love of her life.

I will find Peter Greens DVD and give it a listen.

Thank You!!

How's it going "Bitchin Soul?" I am glad that I could be of help to you in learning about the beginnings of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC, that really makes me feel good. Thank you. I also love Stevie Nicks as well. You would never believe me if I told you but I have had many personal conversations with Stevie as well as Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. I really do cherish those moments I had with them. Mick Fleetwood and I had deep discussions about Peter Green. Mick went as far to say that he felt that Peter Green, in his prime, was even better than Hendrix. Fleetwood even said that Green would do things with the guitar that no one else could ever do. Does that blow you away or what? ROCK ON!

Fleetwood Mac is one of those bands that I didn't like when I was a little younger, probably either because my dad liked them and I was simply being rebellious, or I thought they sounded too "soft rock". However, it seems like as I go back, I find a great deal of appreciation for them, and feel that their "soft rock phase" aka 1975 onward is a bit underrated by the hipsters.

And besides, Lindsey Buckingham is an absolutely amazing guitar player.

How's it going "The Hammer of the Gods?" You are right, Lindsey Buckingham is one hell of a guitarist. It is just too bad that Buckingham is so underrated and never got the recognition he truly deserved. However, when you listen to PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC 1967 to 1970 band and the mid-1970's FLEETWOOD MAC band, they sound like two different bands. the mid-1970's band is a softer Rock while the 1967 to 1970 band is a more harder Blues Rock sound. In my opinion, that's where THE ROLLING STONES got their late 1960's Blues/Hard Rock sound from. Blame it on PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC! Give it a listen when you get a chance, you will be amazed. ROCK ON!

I really dig the Peter Green era. "Green Manalishi" is one badass tune, as is the original "Black Magic Woman".

How's it going "Rock Action" my man? "The Green Manalishi" and "Black Magic Woman" are two of Rock's all-time greatest songs ever. They are badass Rockers in deed! ROCK ON!

I first got into Fleetwood Mac in 1972 with Future Games and Bare Trees. These were post-Green but still really good. They were the beginning of the Bob Welch era. He later became a bit 'softer', like FM did with Buckingham and Nicks, and even with his time with FM Welch added a spacey-mellow edge to their sound. Danny Kirwan gave the band the 'harder' edge at that time, '71-'72.

I drifted from interest with the Buckingham/Nicks era. It wasn't my cup of tea. I went back and discovered the Peter Green era later on and enjoy it muchly, but my favorite was that music I first heard, the above mentioned ones's. I have each the albums Peter Green were on thru the Welch era, the last being Mystery to Me. Bob Weston, on guitar, had a stint with them, I believe it was the 'Penguin' album. I'd lost interest by then, 1973ish.

I still have a FULL ticket of the time in February, 1972 a friend gave it to me. I couldn't get a ride to the concert hall and was too young to drive myself. :( On the bill with Fleetwood Mac were John Mayall and Long John Baldry.

I am a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, definitely one of my top 10 all time favorite bands! I only started becoming familiar with them when Buckingham/Nicks joined. I don't know much about the Peter Green era. I will certainly have to check that out. :)

How's it going "Melanie_72?" FLEETWOOD MAC is in deed, one of my Top 10 all-time greatest bands ever. I feel so fortunate to have not only met them all, but to actually acquire a CD copy of the BUCKINGHAM/NICKS solo album from the early 1970's before they joined FLEETWOOD MAC. On this same album, there is a live outtake of a different early version of "Rhiannon" on it, it sounds incredible! You really do have to check out the Peter Green era, you would never believe that FLEETWOOD MAC would actually sound like that. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

I first got into Fleetwood Mac in 1972 with Future Games and Bare Trees. These were post-Green but still really good. They were the beginning of the Bob Welch era. He later became a bit 'softer', like FM did with Buckingham and Nicks, and even with his time with FM Welch added a spacey-mellow edge to their sound. Danny Kirwan gave the band the 'harder' edge at that time, '71-'72.

I drifted from interest with the Buckingham/Nicks era. It wasn't my cup of tea. I went back and discovered the Peter Green era later on and enjoy it muchly, but my favorite was that music I first heard, the above mentioned ones's. I have each the albums Peter Green were on thru the Welch era, the last being Mystery to Me. Bob Weston, on guitar, had a stint with them, I believe it was the 'Penguin' album. I'd lost interest by then, 1973ish.

I still have a FULL ticket of the time in February, 1972 a friend gave it to me. I couldn't get a ride to the concert hall and was too young to drive myself. :( On the bill with Fleetwood Mac were John Mayall and Long John Baldry.

How's it going "EpicForest?" You do know your FLEETWOOD MAC well especially the Bob Welch and Bob Weston years. I would have liked to talk about these two great guitarists but it would have lengthened my thread even more than it already is. I feel that I should write about them both on this thread later on. I am so sorry to hear that you missed that show. As the saying goes, things do happen for a reason. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

How's it going "EpicForest?" You do know your FLEETWOOD MAC well especially the Bob Welch and Bob Weston years. I would have liked to talk about these two great guitarists but it would have lengthened my thread even more than it already is. I feel that I should write about them both on this thread later on. I am so sorry to hear that you missed that show. As the saying goes, things do happen for a reason. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

Hmmm...well, I just remember being very frustrated about not being able to go to the show. I only heard 'Penguin' once or twice so my memory is very faded about that, but yeah, the Bob Welch era is ingrained forever !!

I know this has mainly been a Peter Green thread, but the TITLE does say FLEETWOOD MAC mostly, so :D

I'd mentioned Danny Kirwan who played with Welch and also played with the Peter Green FM, but we can't forget Jeremy Spencer. ( I see you included that too) HE was with Green in the earliest years and held his own very well. Then came Kirwan, Welch, Weston then Lindsey Buckingham. FM definately had their 'rotating' guitarists for a while. :lol:

Nice thread ZFF, you certainly had a personal touch with the band. :)

Edited by EpicForest

Hmmm...well, I just remember being very frustrated about not being able to go to the show. I only heard 'Penguin' once or twice so my memory is very faded about that, but yeah, the Bob Welch era is ingrained forever !!

I know this has mainly been a Peter Green thread, but the TITLE does say FLEETWOOD MAC mostly, so :D

I'd mentioned Danny Kirwan who played with Welch and also played with the Peter Green FM, but we can't forget Jeremy Spencer. ( I see you included that too) HE was with Green in the earliest years and held his own very well. Then came Kirwan, Welch, Weston then Lindsey Buckingham. FM definately had their 'rotating' guitarists for a while. :lol:

Nice thread ZFF, you certainly had a personal touch with the band. :)

What's up "EpicForest?" This is a FLEETWOOD MAC thread from 1967 to the present. We can talk about anything on FLEETWOOD MAC but I just wanted to start from the beginning which is a good place to start. I hope that you will comment more on this thread and talk more about the Bob Welch and Bob Weston years as well as Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan. All of these great guitarists played a vital role by contributing a vital part to this band thus giving this band many different musical personalities as well as identities. I am looking forward to hearing from you more on the great FLEETWOOD MAC. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going "Bitchin Soul?" I am glad that I could be of help to you in learning about the beginnings of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC, that really makes me feel good. Thank you. I also love Stevie Nicks as well. You would never believe me if I told you but I have had many personal conversations with Stevie as well as Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. I really do cherish those moments I had with them. Mick Fleetwood and I had deep discussions about Peter Green. Mick went as far to say that he felt that Peter Green, in his prime, was even better than Hendrix. Fleetwood even said that Green would do things with the guitar that no one else could ever do. Does that blow you away or what? ROCK ON!

You Lucky Dog!!! What I would not have done to be a fly on the wall. LOL

Please continue with the information as I am really intrigued. Also, talk about a Peyton Place between members. I am surprised they all are good friends. That says something about their character. ( I better say in my opinion only) I do not want to get roasted over the coals! :rolleyes:

Rumors is and always will be one of my Favorite LP's. :stereo:

Mine too! I'm intrigued to know, however - was the LP actually called "Rumors" in the US, with the US spelling? My UK copy is titled "Rumours".

Sorry, I probably have an unhealthy interest in spelling and grammar! :lol::blush:

Fucking A

I found The Kiln House on vinyl and been in love since.

I like both the early peter green and later rumous stryle they did.

I have the early stuff marked "Fleetwood Mac (Blues)" and the later "Fleetwood Mac (Pop)" on my Ipod.

Yeah it's all good. Just depends on the mood I'm in.

Please continue with the information as I am really intrigued. Also, talk about a Peyton Place between members. I am surprised they all are good friends. That says something about their character. ( I better say in my opinion only) I do not want to get roasted over the coals! :rolleyes:

How's it going "Bitchin Soul?" Thank you for the kind comment. I promise to e-mail you personally and talk about many personal topics that FLEETWOOD MAC and I have had through the years. I met FLEETWOOD MAC through one of my most dearest friends that I ever knew. His name was Dennis (Denny) Wilson, the late great Drummer for THE BEACH BOYS. Denny was dating Christine McVie on and off when I met the legendary band. I went back stage and spoke with all of them. Hell, I even got cozy with sexy Stevie Nicks. She is an EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL woman outside as well as a beautiful person inside! I also became very friendly with Denny's Girlfriend Christine McVie. She is a very intelligent woman. There is so much to tell with my experiences with this legendary band as well as Dennis Wilson and Brian Wilson that I would not even know where to start. You would NEVER believe what my ears have heard. I'll be talking with you soon. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going "Bitchin Soul?" Thank you for the kind comment. I promise to e-mail you personally and talk about many personal topics that FLEETWOOD MAC and I have had through the years. I met FLEETWOOD MAC through one of my most dearest friends that I ever knew. His name was Dennis (Denny) Wilson, the late great Drummer for THE BEACH BOYS. Denny was dating Christine McVie on and off when I met the legendary band. I went back stage and spoke with all of them. Hell, I even got cozy with sexy Stevie Nicks. She is an EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL woman outside as well as a beautiful person inside! I also became very friendly with Denny's Girlfriend Christine McVie. She is a very intelligent woman. There is so much to tell with my experiences with this legendary band as well as Dennis Wilson and Brian Wilson that I would not even know where to start. You would NEVER believe what my ears have heard. I'll be talking with you soon. In the mean time, ROCK ON!