THE FLEETWOOD MAC THREAD

ZeppFanForever

Great thread !

Peter Green is a brilliant player and his departure from Fleetwood Mac was a major disappointment.

'Oh Well' still ranks as one of my favorite songs and riffs. Kerwin and Green have got to be concidered as one of the greatest combinations ever. Jeremy Spencer and Kirwan didn't do too badly either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbAJ6gWNLFQ

Fine thanks, how's it goin at yours?

You're correct, Kirwan did fine too. He sure was a great guitarist.

What's up "Swede?" I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. Danny Kirwan was a great guitarist indeed. Too bad that he is homeless in London rotting and dying from Alcoholism. From what I've read, Danny Kirwan is in worse shape than Peter Green ever was. How sad. ROCK ON!

Great thread !

Peter Green is a brilliant player and his departure from Fleetwood Mac was a major disappointment.

'Oh Well' still ranks as one of my favorite songs and riffs. Kerwin and Green have got to be concidered as one of the greatest combinations ever. Jeremy Spencer and Kirwan didn't do too badly either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbAJ6gWNLFQ

How's it going "ally?" Thank you for your comment. In my threads, I truly do my best in telling the true Rock n' Roll stories the way it is and nothing less. I would like for all of our fellow LED ZEPPELIN & FLEETWOOD MAC fanatics to know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thanks again and take care. ROCK ON!

How's it going "ally?" Thank you for your comment. In my threads, I truly do my best in telling the true Rock n' Roll stories the way it is and nothing less. I would like for all of our fellow LED ZEPPELIN & FLEETWOOD MAC fanatics to know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thanks again and take care. ROCK ON!

It's all good ZFF. You take care as well B)

I just found out they are coming here, to Rochester, NY. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. $146 and $76. Kind of gives you an idea what a Led Zepp reunion would cost. Scary to think of how much, but Id pay any price to see Page and Plant.

Yeah, there's only so much dough to go around. I wish I knew for sure what was happening in the Jimmy, JPJ camp. I might be missing show's that I could've gone to see.

I just found out they are coming here, to Rochester, NY. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. $146 and $76. Kind of gives you an idea what a Led Zepp reunion would cost. Scary to think of how much, but Id pay any price to see Page and Plant.

The cheapest tickets we paid for in 2003 were £50 each. I'd love to see them again, but fuck it, not if they're charging the earth. I'd much rather save for any highly anticipated future projects involving three particular men...

• 1 month later...

I feel like I re-discovered a great band today.

I've always respected Fleetwood Mac..., but today I found out that their early stuff was quite a departure from their commonly-played stuff.

I heard it, and I loved it... I had no idea they were so bluesy back then!

I feel like I re-discovered a great band today.

I've always respected Fleetwood Mac..., but today I found out that their early stuff was quite a departure from their commonly-played stuff.

I heard it, and I loved it... I had no idea they were so bluesy back then!

How's it going "docron?" I am glad that you really like the Peter Green era. You are right, the FLEETWOOD MAC sound of today sounds completely different when compared to the sound of the FLEETWOOD MAC 1967-1970 period. These are two different bands. This weekend, I will finally post the true and tragic story of another FLEETWOOD MAC alumni from the 1967-1970 period, his name is Mr. Danny Kirwan. Kirwan's story is a tragic one like that of his mentor Peter Green. After reading numerous articles and biographies on FLEETWOOD MAC, Peter Green and personal conversations with Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie, I may have an insight of what went wrong with Danny Kirwan. I am looking forward to sharing all of this true information with all of you soon. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going "docron?" I am glad that you really like the Peter Green era. You are right, the FLEETWOOD MAC sound of today sounds completely different when compared to the sound of the FLEETWOOD MAC 1967-1970 period. These are two different bands. This weekend, I will finally post the true and tragic story of another FLEETWOOD MAC alumni from the 1967-1970 period, his name is Mr. Danny Kirwan. Kirwan's story is a tragic one like that of his mentor Peter Green. After reading numerous articles and biographies on FLEETWOOD MAC, Peter Green and personal conversations with Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie, I may have an insight of what went wrong with Danny Kirwan. I am looking forward to sharing all of this true information with all of you soon. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I just got home from the local bar and I am going to get a head start here on the tragic story of Danny Kirwan. After I get through with Danny Kirwan's story, I am going to write a little about FLEETWOOD MAC'S blistering live shows at THE BOSTON TEA PARTY on 5, 6 & 7 February 1970. So without further delay, AND AWAY WE GO!

DANNY KIRWAN BIOGRAPHY

Daniel David Kirwan was born in South London on 13 May 1950. Kirwan's early guitar talents were noticed and discovered by Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood in a Brixton pub, fronting a band called BOILERHOUSE. Green was so impressed with Kirwan's playing that he booked some dates for the group at the Marquee and encouraged the trio to go professional. Kirwan, the 18 year guitarist, by then a protege of Green and a fan of FLEETWOOD MAC, was up for it but his rhythm section was not. Green then auditioned some musicians in the hopes of building a new group for Kirwan, but when no one worthwhile could be found, Danny was invited (At Mick Fleetwood's invitation) to join FLEETWOOD MAC in August 1968.

Former FLEETWOOD MAC Producer Mike Vernon recalls: Danny Kirwan had a guitar style that wasn't like anyone else I'd heard in England. There was a certain vibrato in Kirwan's fingerwork that was quite unusual. Kirwan also had a really nice, angelic melodious voice.

Green, who had begun to feel as if Jeremy Spencer (FLEETWOOD MAC'S other rhythm guitarist) was holding him back as far as musical creativity, he was thrilled with the addition of Kirwan as the band's third guitarist. The reason for this is because Kirwan was full of creative ideas that helped move FLEETWOOD MAC out of the Blues sound and into the Rock music mainstream that would result in bringing the best out of Peter Green. Danny Kirwan was an exceptional guitar player who, in turn, inspired Peter Green into writing the most moving and powerful songs of his life. Kirwan played lead on many Green compositions and was distinguished by a unique pronounced vibrato. Mick Fleetwood recalls that the shy guitarist was the first person in a major way that laid the grounds of foundations for myself and John McVie being able to feel quite comfortable with harmony. Mick Fleetwood continued on by saying that looking back on it now, it was Danny Kirwan's guitar contributions that really rose FLEETWOOD MAC'S musical sound into another level of musical openness that was to become a major part of FLEETWOOD MAC.

Although extremely musically talented, it was Peter Green that knew how to bring out Danny Kirwan's god-given talent. However, there was a dark side to Danny Kirwan that would be his downfall. Danny Kirwan's personality was a bit on the strange side. Christine McVie remembers him being really really neurotic and difficult to work with. Christine McVie recalls how Danny was one of those type of people that would never look you in the eye, to be around him was a very nerve-wracking thing. And because of this, Danny Kirwan and Christine McVie would never explore their talents together by writing songs together. Bob Welch agrees that Danny Kirwan was one of the strangest people that he had ever met in his life. Welch contends that while Kirwan was very nervous, at the same time, he was also a very intuitive musician and at the age of 24, Kirwan played with surprising maturity and soulfulness. There was an idealistic and pure thing about Kirwan that was destined for greatness.

In my opinion, one of the biggest setbacks and downfall in Danny Kirwan's life was that while FLEETWOOD MAC was living at Benifold, according to many of the band's accounts, Danny married his pregnant girlfriend, Claire, and had a son. Peter Green's thoughts on the matter was: "I feel badly because I introduced him to this girl, an ex-girlfriend of mine. Claire was a mad girl that used to hit Kirwan with his Les Paul! I don't think that kirwan should have married Claire, he should have just let her have the baby. Green continued by saying that Kirwan wanted to do the right and noble thing by marrying her. Danny and Claire are now divorced. NOTE: I would like to say for the record that Claire was the "Black Magic Woman" that Peter Green wrote about in his song.

Danny Kirwan stayed with the band for several years, through both Green's and Spencer's departures and Bob Welch's arrival. Kirwan made significant contributions to FUTURE GAMES and BARE TREES albums. It was in 1972, when FLEETWOOD MAC was touring in support of the BARE TREES album, that Danny's storied binge drinking and volatile behavior would become a bit too much to handle. The whole situation came to a head one fall night when Kirwan and Welch got into an argument over tuning a guitar. Five minutes before the show, Kirwan smashed his own head against the wall, then took his Les Paul and broke it to pieces and lastly, refused to go on stage with the band. Instead of going on stage, Kirwan would sit at the soundboard and watched the band flounder through the show. Afterwards, Kirwan went so far as to negatively criticize the band.

Later on that same night, the rest of the band decided that they could not carry on like this anymore, the tour was cut short by being cancelled and Mick Fleetwood was given the task of firing Danny Kirwan. The scene was dreadful! No one had ever been asked to leave FLEETWOOD MAC before and Danny had no idea how alienated from him the rest of the band had become. NOTE: I have had several conversations with Mick Fleetwood through the years and it is Fleetwood's opinion that Kirwan's downfall would really begin the day that Peter Green left FLEETWOOD MAC. Peter Green was Kirwan's idol and mentor that also knew how to bring out the best in Danny Kirwan. When Green left, Kirwan was lost.

Upon leaving the band, Danny continued to pursue his musical interests and in 1975, he released a solo album entitled SECOND CHAPTER (Kirwan's band included ex-Chicken Shack members Andy Sylvester and Paul Raymond) which reportedly was none too impressive. Kirwan's second album, MIDNIGHT IN SAN JUAN, released in 1977, was said to be better than its predecessor. However, due to the album lacking the strength of the Fleetwood/McVie rhythm section behind him, Kirwan's songs seemed extremely limp.

Unable to recapture the glory of the FLEETWOOD MAC years, these days, Danny Kirwan is rumored to be a destitute alcoholic. In his 1990 autobiography, Mick Fleetwood claimed that Kirwan lived in a South London Mental Hospital. In a 1994 interview, Peter Green had this to say about Danny Kirwan: "It was Mick that asked Danny to join, not me. I truly believe that Mick and I are solely responsible for where Danny is now. I wish that I could help him but I don't know how." An interviewer from Guitar Player magazine managed to track Kirwan down in London and wrote: "Although friendly, Kirwan declined to be interviewed." As reported by 'Rekon' in the FLEETWOOD MAC Newsgroup on March 19, 1996, "Danny Kirwan is currently living homeless in Covent Garden in London.

Although not present at the induction ceremony at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, Danny Kirwan was inducted as a member of FLEETWOOD MAC, into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame on January 12, 1998

As of now, 2009, Kirwan is still homeless.

What a sad tragic story. ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Hope the week went well with all of you. I have the day off on this nice Halloween day or should I say Wholloween day. I still can't believe that our forum lost the Evster. I have learned so much from him as I'm sure that all of you have as well. I hope some day he comes back, now that would be special huh? I hope you're reading this Evster, I dedicate this thread to you!

I am deeply overwhelmed that many of you enjoyed reading my threads on ZEPPELIN as well as other bands. I have also enjoyed reading all of your threads on numerous topics resulting in me learning something different. I feel that as ZEPPELIN fanatics that many of us have so much in common but it is mainly ZEPPELIN that brings us all together in unity here on the ZEPPELIN forum. And because of this, we also have the responsibility as ZEPPELIN fans in keeping the ZEPPELIN legend and legacy alive as well as the memory of John Henry Bonham. Now, it is time for me to begin the thread.

I really enjoyed reading the "What's Your Favorite Guitarists Thread" that was started, written and submitted by fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic "leddy." All of our all-time greatest as well as our favorite Guitarist's names were brought up on this thread. However, there was one legendary Guitarist that was overlooked and forgotten on "leddy's" thread that I feel would be a good topic of discussion. It was also during this time that I was trying to decide on many topics to write about on my next thread. I feel that this legendary Guitarist and his band that I am going to write about is a great TRUE Rock n' Roll tale that would also prove fatal. The Guitarist's name is Mr. Peter Green and his legendary band I am talking about is none other than PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC. I have read two FLEETWOOD MAC thread's here on the forum, Any Mac Fans Thread and the Peter Green Thread. However, I feel that all of you need to know the TRUE and tragic story of FLEETWOOD MAC in order to appreciate the accomplishments and achievements of one Peter Green.

When you think of FLEETWOOD MAC today, you think of a very gifted American/British band comprising of two native California U.S.A. members named Lindsey Buckingham (Vocals and Guitar), the always beautiful Stevie Nicks (Vocals) and three fellow British members with two being the only original members left from the original PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC line-up. I'm talking about the beautiful Christine McVie (Vocals and Keyboards), her ex-husband and original member John McVie (Bassist) and original member Mick Fleetwood (Drums). With this legendary mid-1970's line-up, the new FLEETWOOD MAC would achieve more fame and fortune beyond their wildest dreams thus moving on to greater heights unimagined. It would also result in forgetting any accomplishments and achievements that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC did from 1967 to 1970. But what people don't realize is that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC had already laid down a great foundation by developing a reputation in the late 1960's and early 1970's for being one of the all-time greatest Hard Rock Blues bands ever.

PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC was originally born in London, England in 1967 comprising of Peter Green (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Jeremy Spencer (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Danny Kirwan (He would join the band later as the third Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), John McVie (Bassist) and Mick Fleetwood (Drums). This original legendary line-up would truly kick ass with Rock n' Roll in more ways than one and at the same time, give you some of the greatest Blues Rock music moments that you have ever heard in your life. PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC'S early beginnings would be traced all the way back to another great legendary 1960's Blues band. JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS would solely be responsible for bringing together Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood in his band.

PETER GREEN will forever go down in Rock n' Roll history as being one of the greatest guitarists ever yet a forgotten Guitarist that got lost somewhere in time in Rock n' Roll history. In Green's prime, in my opinion, I would rank him up there with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page easily. However, his decision to quit FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970 during the height of their popularity and disappear from the Rock n' Roll world would prove to be fatal on his part making it one of Rock's all-time greatest tragedy stories ever. It would be during the beginning years of FLEETWOOD MAC from 1967 to 1970 that Peter Green would gain a worldwide reputation by quickly establishing himself as one of the all-time Greatest Guitarist's ever. In my opinion, Peter Green, in his prime, was the ONLY Guitarist that ever dared to challenge Jimi Hendrix for his prestigious worldwide crown as THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME. Green's guitar styles are similar to that of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and David Gilmour. However, Green's high pitched guitar sound would influence another great guitar legend named Carlos Santana thus making Green's sound his trademark that would last to this very day.

Peter Green also wrote some of Rock's all-time greatest songs ever that would gain more fame by being trademark songs for other great legendary bands. SANTANA immortalized Green's "Black Magic Woman" as AEROSMITH did with "Rattlesnake Shake" and JUDAS PRIEST with Green's legendary masterpiece "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)."

There are so many albums that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC has recorded from 1967 to 1970 that remained unreleased for many years UNTIL NOW. There are also some great new CD collections that make up for all of those years that the early MAC'S albums were unreleased. For the new and curious beginner, I would highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN, MAN OF THE WORLD, THE ANTHOLOGY 1968-1988. This collection contains the majority of Green's best work including his years with JOHN MAYALL and FLEETWOOD MAC. I also highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set of A HARD ROAD by JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS as well as THEN PLAY ON by FLEETWOOD MAC. As for the new collections, I highly recommend the incredible 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BBC, the 2-CD set of THE VAUDEVILLE YEARS OF FLEETWOOD MAC 1968 TO 1970, FLEETWOOD MAC, SHOW-BIZ BLUES 1968 TO 1970 VOLUME 2 and the 6-CD set of FLEETWOOD MAC, THE COMPLETE BLUE HORIZON SESSIONS 1967-1969. I guarantee you that you will have heard everything there is on PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC if you purchase everything that I have mentioned on this thread.

There are not many great sounding live quality albums of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC let alone on CD. But that would change in the 1990's. There would be bad sound quality live shows of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE MARQUEE and LIVE IN LONDON 1968 released on CD. However, in 1998, FLEETWOOD MAC'S BLISTERING ASS KICKING live shows at The Boston Tea Party are legendary in the sense that in my opinion, they are only one of two shows that capture Peter Green at his ABSOLUTE BEST! You are probably asking yourself, "why didn't FLEETWOOD MAC release a live album of THE BOSTON TEA PARTY shows in 1970?" The truth is, these shows were being recorded live for a future release but with Green's departure from FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970, the tapes were shelved indefinitely. The sound quality of the BOSTON TEA PARTY bootlegs that were available and sold in the 1980's and 1990's were absolutely awful and did FLEETWOOD MAC'S blistering and devastating live performances at the BOSTON TEA PARTY no justice at all. In 1998, Snapper Music would find the original 8-Track master tapes and Digitally Remaster and Remix them using today's updated studio technology process. Now, we can finally listen to these three part separate CD sets of the live BOSTON TEA PARTY shows for ourselves in great sounding quality as it was originally truly intended to be heard and be blown away with TOTAL DISBELIEF! These shows will definitely blow your mind away! You have to hear these 3-CD's in three parts to believe it. The other live show I am talking about is the single CD entitled FLEETWOOD MAC, SHRINE '69. This is another great live show with great sound quality.

As for Peter Green today, he is NO WHERE near the great guitarist he once was. After putting down the guitar and not playing it for years along with his failing health, his playing talent deminished. If you ever get a chance, check out the 2003 DVD entitled AN EVENING WITH PETER GREEN SPLINTER GROUP IN CONCERT. See it for yourself.

I hope I didn't talk your ears off. I hope you enjoyed reading my thread. Please comment on it whether it is a positive or negative one. I appreciate true honesty. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I couldn't sleep much tonight so I figured that I would make myself useful and post another FLEETWOOD MAC comment here on the forum. Without further delay, AND AWAY WE GO!

Through the years, between 1967 up to now (2009), FLEETWOOD MAC has graced and blessed us with some of Rock's all-time greatest live shows ever. However, in my opinion, not only do I think that the "Live At the Boston Tea Party" shows Parts 1, 2 & 3 recorded live on 5, 6 & 7 February 1970, is the greatest live shows that FLEETWOOD MAC ever performed in the band's entire history, but I truly feel with all of my heart that these live shows should rank in the Top 20 as one of Rock's all-time greatest live performances ever.

FLEETWOOD MAC was definitely in top form when they performed live at the Boston Tea Party during those three days in February 1970. Listening to all three parts of this blistering live performances, one cannot help but think that some of the songs that they performed actually sound a lot like early ZEPPELIN, album's 1 and 2. No one would ever believe that FLEETWOOD MAC could actually kick ass the way they did on those February nights in 1970. These three part CD's without a doubt, capture Peter Green performing at his absolute best.

It was also during the Boston Tea Party shows that Peter Green was about to submit his resignation as the band's lead and rhythm guitarist and vocalist. Two weeks after the Boston Tea Party shows, Peter Green made it official, Peter Green was quitting FLEETWOOD MAC. I guess that it is fair to say, in a way, that the Boston Tea Party shows in February 1970, were Peter Green's last hurrah and farewell. And if that is the case, Peter Green went out with a BIG BANG! What a way to quit a great legendary band, by giving his very best performance of a lifetime as a farewell. I am sure glad that someone recorded these blistering live shows because no one would have ever believed it.

In reality, the live recordings of the Boston Tea Party shows from 5, 6 & 7 February 1970 were actually going to be released as a FLEETWOOD MAC live album shortly after the shows ended. However, all plans for a live album release were cancelled due to the resignation of Peter Green two weeks later resulting in shelving the project indefinitely. Just think, these live tapes remained in the vault for two decades without seeing a day of release. There have been numerous bootlegs of these legendary shows that surfaced in the 1970's and 1980's but the sound quality was awful and did no justice at all for the band's performance. But all of that would change in 1998 when the original 8-Track master tapes were found, remixed and remastered using today's updated recording technology process. Snapper Music Inc. would release all three part CD's in 1998. If you have not heard these three-part CD's of FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY, I highly recommend that you buy them when you get a chance. Here are all of the song tracks for all three part CD's as follows:

FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY PART ONE

(1.) Black Magic Woman (6:45)

(2.) Jumping At Shadows (4:48)

(3.) Like It This Way (4:28)

(4.) Only You (4:23)

(5.) Rattlesnake Shake (24:38)

(6.) I Can't Hold Out (6:35)

(7.) Got To Move (3:25)

(8.) The Green Manalishi (12:52)

FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY PART TWO

(1.) World In Harmony (3:41)

(2.) Oh Well (3:00)

(3.) Rattlesnake Snake (28:00)

(4.) Stranger Blues (3:48)

(5.) Red Hot Mama (2:55)

(6.) Teenage Darling (3:58)

(7.) Keep A-Knocking (4:44)

(8.) Jenny Jenny (7:44)

(9.) Encore (5:00)

FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY PART THREE

(1.) Jumping At Shadows (4:17)

(2.) Sandy Mary (5:21)

(3.) If You Let Me Love You (10:30)

(4.) Loving Kind (2:57)

(5.) Coming Your Way (7:06)

(6.) Madison Blues (4:49)

(7.) Got To Move (3:56)

(8.) The Sun Is Shining (3:11)

(9.) Oh Baby (4:26)

(10.) Tiger (3:44)

(11.) Great Balls Of Fire (3:16)

(12.) Tutti Frutti (6:45)

(13.) On We Jam (7:56)

For those of you that have not heard these live shows, I do hope that you will buy these three part CD's and listen to them for yourselves in their entirety. I do strongly believe that you will feel the same way that I do when you are done listening to all of them. For those of you that have heard these live shows on CD, please post a comment here on this thread and give me your true opinions of these shows that way our readers, that are not familiar with these live shows, will get other opinions and views from other fellow readers. I would truly like to hear what all of you have to say about these blistering ass kicking shows. And as the saying goes, "AND THE REST IS ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY," am I wrong? In the mean time, ROCK ON!

I'd love to hear these live shows... are they officially released or will I have to bootleg them?

How's it going "docron?" All three parts of these blistering live shows were officially released in 1998 by a small record label named Snapper Music Inc. The Original 8-Track Master Tapes were found in 1998 and were remixed and digitally remastered. the result product is an incredible live show by FLEETWOOD MAC. You can buy all three parts on three CD's on Amazon, E-bay and Barnes and Noble. These are definitely three CD's that NO ONE should be without. ROCK ON!

Man... I consider myself pretty up on my music. To have never have heard the early blues-rock Fleetwood is like a shot in the nuts.

Those albums sound like must-haves.

How's it going "docron?" Believe me when I say that THESE ALBUMS ARE DEFINITELY MUST-HAVES! ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...
How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Hope the week went well with all of you. I have the day off on this nice Halloween day or should I say Wholloween day. I still can't believe that our forum lost the Evster. I have learned so much from him as I'm sure that all of you have as well. I hope some day he comes back, now that would be special huh? I hope you're reading this Evster, I dedicate this thread to you!

I am deeply overwhelmed that many of you enjoyed reading my threads on ZEPPELIN as well as other bands. I have also enjoyed reading all of your threads on numerous topics resulting in me learning something different. I feel that as ZEPPELIN fanatics that many of us have so much in common but it is mainly ZEPPELIN that brings us all together in unity here on the ZEPPELIN forum. And because of this, we also have the responsibility as ZEPPELIN fans in keeping the ZEPPELIN legend and legacy alive as well as the memory of John Henry Bonham. Now, it is time for me to begin the thread.

I really enjoyed reading the "What's Your Favorite Guitarists Thread" that was started, written and submitted by fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic "leddy." All of our all-time greatest as well as our favorite Guitarist's names were brought up on this thread. However, there was one legendary Guitarist that was overlooked and forgotten on "leddy's" thread that I feel would be a good topic of discussion. It was also during this time that I was trying to decide on many topics to write about on my next thread. I feel that this legendary Guitarist and his band that I am going to write about is a great TRUE Rock n' Roll tale that would also prove fatal. The Guitarist's name is Mr. Peter Green and his legendary band I am talking about is none other than PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC. I have read two FLEETWOOD MAC thread's here on the forum, Any Mac Fans Thread and the Peter Green Thread. However, I feel that all of you need to know the TRUE and tragic story of FLEETWOOD MAC in order to appreciate the accomplishments and achievements of one Peter Green.

When you think of FLEETWOOD MAC today, you think of a very gifted American/British band comprising of two native California U.S.A. members named Lindsey Buckingham (Vocals and Guitar), the always beautiful Stevie Nicks (Vocals) and three fellow British members with two being the only original members left from the original PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC line-up. I'm talking about the beautiful Christine McVie (Vocals and Keyboards), her ex-husband and original member John McVie (Bassist) and original member Mick Fleetwood (Drums). With this legendary mid-1970's line-up, the new FLEETWOOD MAC would achieve more fame and fortune beyond their wildest dreams thus moving on to greater heights unimagined. It would also result in forgetting any accomplishments and achievements that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC did from 1967 to 1970. But what people don't realize is that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC had already laid down a great foundation by developing a reputation in the late 1960's and early 1970's for being one of the all-time greatest Hard Rock Blues bands ever.

PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC was originally born in London, England in 1967 comprising of Peter Green (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Jeremy Spencer (Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), Danny Kirwan (He would join the band later as the third Lead & Rhythm Guitarist), John McVie (Bassist) and Mick Fleetwood (Drums). This original legendary line-up would truly kick ass with Rock n' Roll in more ways than one and at the same time, give you some of the greatest Blues Rock music moments that you have ever heard in your life. PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC'S early beginnings would be traced all the way back to another great legendary 1960's Blues band. JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS would solely be responsible for bringing together Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood in his band.

PETER GREEN will forever go down in Rock n' Roll history as being one of the greatest guitarists ever yet a forgotten Guitarist that got lost somewhere in time in Rock n' Roll history. In Green's prime, in my opinion, I would rank him up there with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page easily. However, his decision to quit FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970 during the height of their popularity and disappear from the Rock n' Roll world would prove to be fatal on his part making it one of Rock's all-time greatest tragedy stories ever. It would be during the beginning years of FLEETWOOD MAC from 1967 to 1970 that Peter Green would gain a worldwide reputation by quickly establishing himself as one of the all-time Greatest Guitarist's ever. In my opinion, Peter Green, in his prime, was the ONLY Guitarist that ever dared to challenge Jimi Hendrix for his prestigious worldwide crown as THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL-TIME. Green's guitar styles are similar to that of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and David Gilmour. However, Green's high pitched guitar sound would influence another great guitar legend named Carlos Santana thus making Green's sound his trademark that would last to this very day.

Peter Green also wrote some of Rock's all-time greatest songs ever that would gain more fame by being trademark songs for other great legendary bands. SANTANA immortalized Green's "Black Magic Woman" as AEROSMITH did with "Rattlesnake Shake" and JUDAS PRIEST with Green's legendary masterpiece "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)."

There are so many albums that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC has recorded from 1967 to 1970 that remained unreleased for many years UNTIL NOW. There are also some great new CD collections that make up for all of those years that the early MAC'S albums were unreleased. For the new and curious beginner, I would highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN, MAN OF THE WORLD, THE ANTHOLOGY 1968-1988. This collection contains the majority of Green's best work including his years with JOHN MAYALL and FLEETWOOD MAC. I also highly recommend the blistering 2-CD set of A HARD ROAD by JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS as well as THEN PLAY ON by FLEETWOOD MAC. As for the new collections, I highly recommend the incredible 2-CD set entitled PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BBC, the 2-CD set of THE VAUDEVILLE YEARS OF FLEETWOOD MAC 1968 TO 1970, FLEETWOOD MAC, SHOW-BIZ BLUES 1968 TO 1970 VOLUME 2 and the 6-CD set of FLEETWOOD MAC, THE COMPLETE BLUE HORIZON SESSIONS 1967-1969. I guarantee you that you will have heard everything there is on PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC if you purchase everything that I have mentioned on this thread.

There are not many great sounding live quality albums of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC let alone on CD. But that would change in the 1990's. There would be bad sound quality live shows of PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE MARQUEE and LIVE IN LONDON 1968 released on CD. However, in 1998, FLEETWOOD MAC'S BLISTERING ASS KICKING live shows at The Boston Tea Party are legendary in the sense that in my opinion, they are only one of two shows that capture Peter Green at his ABSOLUTE BEST! You are probably asking yourself, "why didn't FLEETWOOD MAC release a live album of THE BOSTON TEA PARTY shows in 1970?" The truth is, these shows were being recorded live for a future release but with Green's departure from FLEETWOOD MAC in 1970, the tapes were shelved indefinitely. The sound quality of the BOSTON TEA PARTY bootlegs that were available and sold in the 1980's and 1990's were absolutely awful and did FLEETWOOD MAC'S blistering and devastating live performances at the BOSTON TEA PARTY no justice at all. In 1998, Snapper Music would find the original 8-Track master tapes and Digitally Remaster and Remix them using today's updated studio technology process. Now, we can finally listen to these three part separate CD sets of the live BOSTON TEA PARTY shows for ourselves in great sounding quality as it was originally truly intended to be heard and be blown away with TOTAL DISBELIEF! These shows will definitely blow your mind away! You have to hear these 3-CD's in three parts to believe it. The other live show I am talking about is the single CD entitled FLEETWOOD MAC, SHRINE '69. This is another great live show with great sound quality.

As for Peter Green today, he is NO WHERE near the great guitarist he once was. After putting down the guitar and not playing it for years along with his failing health, his playing talent deminished. If you ever get a chance, check out the 2003 DVD entitled AN EVENING WITH PETER GREEN SPLINTER GROUP IN CONCERT. See it for yourself.

I hope I didn't talk your ears off. I hope you enjoyed reading my thread. Please comment on it whether it is a positive or negative one. I appreciate true honesty. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the weekend went well for all of you. I would like to do a little update on MR. PETER GREEN. I just recently purchased an import 4-CD set of PETER GREEN, THE ANTHOLOGY, 4-CD DELUXE BOX SET released in 2008. The deluxe 4-CD Box Set is the ULTIMATE tribute containing the greatest works of PETER GREEN. This is the very best of PETER GREEN, the BEST compilation ever assembled. Along with this set, there is a 71 page book on the whole history of PETER GREEN. You have to buy this set and hear it to believe it. You can purchase this 4-CD set either on e-bay or amazon. If you would like for me to post all of the songs from all 4 CD's on this thread, please let me know and I will gladly post it for all of you to view. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the weekend went well for all of you. I would like to do a little update on MR. PETER GREEN. I just recently purchased an import 4-CD set of PETER GREEN, THE ANTHOLOGY, 4-CD DELUXE BOX SET released in 2008. The deluxe 4-CD Box Set is the ULTIMATE tribute containing the greatest works of PETER GREEN. This is the very best of PETER GREEN, the BEST compilation ever assembled. Along with this set, there is a 71 page book on the whole history of PETER GREEN. You have to buy this set and hear it to believe it. You can purchase this 4-CD set either on e-bay or amazon. If you would like for me to post all of the songs from all 4 CD's on this thread, please let me know and I will gladly post it for all of you to view. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

Hi 'ZeppFanForever'

Well thanks very much for getting me re-interested in "The Mac", I was never that big a fan of them but I was just looking at some Peter Green sites and, well I didnt know that he came from the same part of London as me, Bethnal Green. Dont know where, but if you can find out i'll be much appreciatative, many thanks and a BIG ROCK ON from me.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'ZeppFanForever'

Well thanks very much for getting me re-interested in "The Mac", I was never that big a fan of them but I was just looking at some Peter Green sites and, well I didnt know that he came from the same part of London as me, Bethnal Green. Dont know where, but if you can find out i'll be much appreciatative, many thanks and a BIG ROCK ON from me.

Regards, Danny

How's it going "BIGDAN" A.K.A. Danny? It makes me feel great when I can turn someone on to PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC 1967-1970 period. The 1967-1970 band line-up comprising of Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood should forever go down in Rock n' Roll as well as Blues history as one of the GREATEST bands ever. This band truly knew how to kick ass in more ways than one. I will gladly do some research for you and find out in what area of Bethnal Green he was from and post it on this thread. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

To have never have heard the early blues-rock Fleetwood is like a shot in the nuts.

I'll tell you what's a shot in the nuts. Back around the time "Rumors" was released, I caught alot of shit for wearing a Fleetwood Mac tee shirt. I thought it was, and still is, a great album. And the couple of older songs the radio played back then were great, too - although a different style, as discussed here. But I was intimidated into not exploring the group further, and it seems ridiculous now?

I'll tell you what's a shot in the nuts. Back around the time "Rumors" was released, I caught alot of shit for wearing a Fleetwood Mac tee shirt. I thought it was, and still is, a great album. And the couple of older songs the radio played back then were great, too - although a different style, as discussed here. But I was intimidated into not exploring the group further, and it seems ridiculous now?

Rumours is one of my all-time favourite albums. And I never gave a fuck that it was so different from Peter Green-era Mac, or that I liked it better than Peter Green-era Mac.

I prefer the Rumours-era, mainly because I grew up on it, but because that's a lot more to it than just Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop. Their Tusk album was a complete departure from Rumours - and it nose-dived - but it's friggin' amazing. You'll never hear a more heartbreakingly disconsolate song than that of Storms, or a more mocking one than that of What Makes You Think You're The One?

I don't care what anyone says, Lindsey Buckingham is one of the most underrated guitarists. Ever. He was amazing live was I saw them back in '03. Absolutely jaw-droppingly stompin'. I'm hoping I'll see them again on this tour. He has a superb ear for production and songwriting and he never gets half of what he deserves.

How's it going "longdistancewinner" and "jimmie ray?" Whoever didn't like the 1970's FLEETWOOD MAC lineup comprising of Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and the "Rumours" album from the 1970's period would end up liking both of them later on. Growing up in California in the 1970's, I never once caught shit from anybody for liking the 1970's FLEETWOOD MAC or the "Rumours" album. All of the guys, including myself, WERE IN LOVE WITH STEVIE NICKS! Believe it or not, Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson from HEART, shared the duties for being two of the Queen's of Rock n' Roll. The "Rumours" album is one of the all-time greatest albums ever recorded. Please don't get me wrong, the Peter Green era is my favorite out of the two lineups. However, I do realize that it took the new 1970's lineup and the huge success of "Rumours" to forget almost all of accomplishments that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC accomplished from 1967-1970. The accomplishments that PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC achieved during the 1967-1970 period is finally getting the recognition TODAY that they truly deserve and therefore cannot be denied. These two lineups accomplished so much during their reign that its almost unfair to compare both lineups since both of their music styles are completely different. ROCK ON!

Man... I consider myself pretty up on my music. To have never have heard the early blues-rock Fleetwood is like a shot in the nuts.

Those albums sound like must-haves.

Oh yes, they are! You will not be disappointed.

How's it going "BIGDAN" A.K.A. Danny? It makes me feel great when I can turn someone on to PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC 1967-1970 period. The 1967-1970 band line-up comprising of Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood should forever go down in Rock n' Roll as well as Blues history as one of the GREATEST bands ever. This band truly knew how to kick ass in more ways than one. I will gladly do some research for you and find out in what area of Bethnal Green he was from and post it on this thread. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

Thanks ZFF Looking forward to what you find out, maybe i'll take some photo's for you.

Regards, Danny