Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Zepaholic

The Robert Plant Peace Treaty....

I think Robert is a living legend, and a gift from on high. An unmatched performer with an unmatched voice. An incredible lyricist who drops amazing references.

But that doesn't mean I won't criticize his decisions. Robert has distanced himself from the group for whatever reason.

There is some sort of disconnect and I don't think we'll ever know what that is. It could be as simple as Bonzo not being there, or it could be artistic differences, or it could be something we haven't seen that no one wishes us to know about.

And for those reasons, I can continue to respect the man. I, like you, am disappointed that Robert won't be playing with the rest of the group.

What I don't like about the Robert Plant bashing is that people seem to think you can throw away everything the man has done just because he doesn't want to continue. All of a sudden we're not grateful because he doesn't want to continue something that was for all intents and purposes finished almost 30 years ago? I think that's asking too much of just about any human being. Of course we all know, that if there's anyone who could do it, it'd be him.

I think that now it's only natural to separate Robert Plant from the rest of the group. It's because he has already started it. That was his choosing and I respect that. So the group moves on, and so do we.

In what capacity, we won't know for who knows how long, but it's clear that it won't be up to Robert.

:goodpost:

Time and again he bypasses his golden opportunity to kiss my butt, but I have learned to accept it. Strangely, the sun rises again every morning despite this awkward state of affairs.

On a more serious note, thank you for your thoughtful, well-stated post.

I'm consistently amazed at how personal people take their views of Led Zeppelin...I'm imagining someone having a heart attack at their keyboard...life is too short :)

one comment

The implication of "knowing" someone does not mean that the individual you know can't be slagged...anyone in the public eye knows this, and most of them accept this. I know David Coverdale personally and maintain a friendship with him...I knew Robert 25 years ago. I've met Jimmy several times. I'm human and my personal biases come out. People will slag them and I will take it personally (particularly when it comes to DC)...but it's human nature and it does NOT by any means make me right.

Jeff

Good thread Zepaholic and well done, by putting everything into light. Unfortunately, some people take these things way too seriously and it's all beyond our control. But at least we have a place where we can debate these sort of things, even though its' importance is far less than what is going on around us. All of this has been... :beat:

Edited by SuperDave

Good thread Zepaholic and well done, by putting everything into light. Unfortunately, some people take these things way too seriously and it's all beyond our control. But at least we have a place where we can debate these sort of things, even though its' importance is far less than what is going on around this. All of this has been... :beat:

damn, you beat me to it

Look, this topic has created more animosity than any others since i became a memeber here. It is beyond my comprehension why some members feel it is necessary to slag:

1) Members who support RP's decision to not be part of a reunion tour.

2) Members who do not support RP's decision

3) Members who believe that the Led Zeppelin name cannot be used in any future endeavors.

4) Members who are indifferent to the name being used.

5) Members who cannot support the notion of using a "replacement" vocalist or

6) Members who support any new voacalist that Jimmy deems suitable.

I could go on and on but let's get to the point.

Robert is a living legend who has contributed so much to the Zeppelin legacy. His attributes i really don't need to discusss...you all know what he brings to the table. From my point of view, he absolutely reserves the right to remain a solo artist and an individual. Do i like his decision? Of course not! Do i respect his decision? Grudgingly, yes. Robert is under no obligation to discuss/disclose what is obviously a deeply personal decision and the reasoning behind it. We would all like to hear his side but again, we are not entitled to, in spite of what we read on this site. He is a 60 year old man who, at this point, has been there and done that. we have to accept it because we have no choice.

So, this leaves us with a dilemma. Do we, as didicated Zep fans take out our frustrations on each other or do we behave in accordance to what the remaing band members would like to see. I cannot understate how utterly embarrassed i am at times knowing that the band members might be peeking at this forum and shaking their heads in disbelief. What they read must make them wonder about their fan base. It's disgraceful.

We all need to ask ourselves why we are here in the first place. Do we continue to bicker, insult and create division within the membership or do we find it within ourselves to understand that people will have independent opinions, formed way before we ever signed up here. Can we agree that tolerance is the only way to create a site that does not drive away good people like Evster? Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

The common bond here is Music. We all love music and more specifically, Led Zeppelin. To insult and vilify a member of the aforementioned group, ON THE GROUPS OFFICIAL SITE, is beyond comprehension. If you have a personal dislike for RP or any other LZ member, i believe that it is time for you to turn in your key's. This is not the place you are supposed to be. Conversely, if you are a member who worships every breath they take, find it within yourselves to take pity on those who probably have no place here. Do not hurl insults, it is a waste of time. In due course, they will find their own way to the door.

I'd like to see everybody just cool it. 2008 is not the dawning of the Age of Aquarius by any means but i'd like to have this site be my escape from the "outside" world. We have enough shit to deal with in our everyday lives, we don't need to find it here as well.

Cheers to all.

Good post.

I try to keep my bickering to the downstairs part of the site. Feelings do run high and strongly held opinions do get expressed.

In the spirit of this thread... I'll venture no opinion on any of that stuff ... I've done it elsewhere already, anyway.

:hippy:

I did not have the impression that Robert Plant was leading anyone on. He rambles sometimes, but it does not mean that he necessarily intends to act in a certain way.

I'd like to thank you all for the kind responses. 3 pages now and we have yet to hear anybody called a moron, retard or fuckhead.

That's got to be a record around these here parts.... :D:D

Let's try to keep this going in the right direction. Good things are ahead....Jimmy, JPJ and Jason are coming to visit us in the not-too-distant future. Things could be a lot worse.

I don't think they'd give a Steeler fan knighthood! :P

Good post(thread) though! ;)

LMFAO! Steeler fans are alway's at peace knowing that we have 5 rings.

Knowing who you support, i can fully understand your hostility. You're excused.

If peace is being sought, then it should come directly from Robert, not his legion of apologists. Like I said before, I respect his decision, but the way he (deliberately or not) cock-teased the fans for the better part of a year only to play the plausible deniability card at the end was insulting. It's equivalent to some girl giving you come ons all night, then kicking you to the curb when you go in for the first kiss and claiming she was never interested in the first place. His statement didn't sound sincere. It sounded manipulative and oozing with soap-opera subtext.

So, you're bitter. Maybe we can work this out. What exactly did Plant say that led you to believe that he was "full on" for a reunion tour. Other than your perception of his "insincere" statement, what pisses you off the most about the way this went down?

some nice sayings reids...and yes Robert was very clear it's just that people hear only what they want to hear and refuse to accept the truth...they prefer to bash him instead <_<

thankz, Adi. :)

Very kind of you.

R B)

Hear fucking hear!!!!

I think some of you are taking this whole matter waaaaaaaay too seriously, to the point where I gotta wonder about mental stability, in some cases, sorry to say. Take a pill, log off this forum and take a good long look at what's going on in the real world. I think, considering both the economic and geopolitical state of the world right now, the bottom line is, it's pretty goddamned irrelevant whether or not another old Classic Rock band hits the road with or without their lead singer considering that if the global economy bubble bursts, scrounging up money for concert tickets is going to be the least of your problems! Right now, more than ever it seems, people are losing their homes and their jobs...everything...put yourself in their shoes and I bet Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant fall way down on the list of what really matters.

And, to respond to the asinine Robert Plant "self-gratification" remark...don'tcha think that if Plant really wanted self gratification, he would have agreed to taking part in a Zeppelin tour????

I totally agree with you about the priorities of what our world faces today. I think that is the case for most people that come into this forum. A lot of us are mid-way through our own lives and full of responsability. Long gone are the dreams of being in a rock band, replaced by a myriad of responsabilitys and duties...a lot of us come here just to chit chat about our fav rock band, its that simple.

For me to even contemplate entering the music business would be a huge massive step backwards in my life, probebly wouldnt survive it anyway, too old now and too far behind life's simple struggles. It would be a huge burden to carry along with all the responsabilities I have to meet on a day to day basis.

But that doesnt mean we cant come to forums like this and chit chat about our childhood dreams. With all due respect I'd probebly have a heart attack if I ever did get to meet these guys from shear excitement.

It is important that you bring up current social issues in todays world. Part of our current problems are from generations of drug induced kids that simply werent paying enough attention to what is really important. Myself included.

Another aspect is also, this band is relatively silent when it comes to the worlds issues and problems. Most folks today are not anti-establishement, most folks at every age are part of the community spirit and fully informed and engaged in the social struggles of today. Music is a small portion of what is really really important.

One has to take into consideration the cost of concert tickets today being so astronomical...the fans that can afford current ticket prices are fully engaged in society on all levels. Few acid popping fans have the personal responsability to pay $300 a ticket!

A band that produces anti-establishment music, is really out of the curve today. They are playing to the lazy folks, that simply don't want to work for a living.

We will have record breaking turnout in America's election today. That alone, tells the story of where most folks are.

Wow - "we all know its total bullshit" that anyone here on this forum is friends with the band? That's odd, because as I've said before, I knowat least 5 members here who are. Why is that so impossible? Don't believe the band have any friends, or think none of their friends work at computers and come to places like this? Either way, you're naive.

Good Post!

I think Robert is a living legend, and a gift from on high. An unmatched performer with an unmatched voice. An incredible lyricist who drops amazing references.

But that doesn't mean I won't criticize his decisions. Robert has distanced himself from the group for whatever reason.

There is some sort of disconnect and I don't think we'll ever know what that is. It could be as simple as Bonzo not being there, or it could be artistic differences, or it could be something we haven't seen that no one wishes us to know about.

And for those reasons, I can continue to respect the man. I, like you, am disappointed that Robert won't be playing with the rest of the group.

Excellent post, Guitarmy. I think this sums up what some people don't seem to understand: You can be respectful of Robert and the decisions he makes even if you disagree with or are disappointed by those decisions. This could apply to anyone, of course. Sometimes people have difficulty separating the person from the behavior or action.

Excellent post, Guitarmy. I think this sums up what some people don't seem to understand: You can be respectful of Robert and the decisions he makes even if you disagree with or are disappointed by those decisions. This could apply to anyone, of course. Sometimes people have difficulty separating the person from the behavior or action.

Yeah tell me about it.

There's probably just so much we don't know, so how can I judge him for the unknown? Better yet, how can I judge him for what is known?

Maybe Robert is making the right choice and maybe he isn't, but I know that the one person who can best evaluate that is him.

So I trust he's making the right decision.

Very, Very well said...

Look, this topic has created more animosity than any others since i became a memeber here. It is beyond my comprehension why some members feel it is necessary to slag:

3) Members who believe that the Led Zeppelin name cannot be used in any future endeavors.

I could go on and on but let's get to the point.

Robert is a living legend who has contributed so much to the Zeppelin legacy. His attributes i really don't need to discusss...you all know what he brings to the table. From my point of view, he absolutely reserves the right to remain a solo artist and an individual. Do i like his decision? Of course not! Do i respect his decision? Grudgingly, yes. Robert is under no obligation to discuss/disclose what is obviously a deeply personal decision and the reasoning behind it. We would all like to hear his side but again, we are not entitled to, in spite of what we read on this site. He is a 60 year old man who, at this point, has been there and done that. we have to accept it because we have no choice.

So, this leaves us with a dilemma. Do we, as didicated Zep fans take out our frustrations on each other or do we behave in accordance to what the remaing band members would like to see. I cannot understate how utterly embarrassed i am at times knowing that the band members might be peeking at this forum and shaking their heads in disbelief. What they read must make them wonder about their fan base. It's disgraceful.

We all need to ask ourselves why we are here in the first place. Do we continue to bicker, insult and create division within the membership or do we find it within ourselves to understand that people will have independent opinions, formed way before we ever signed up here. Can we agree that tolerance is the only way to create a site that does not drive away good people like Evster? Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that?

The common bond here is Music. We all love music and more specifically, Led Zeppelin. To insult and vilify a member of the aforementioned group, ON THE GROUPS OFFICIAL SITE, is beyond comprehension. If you have a personal dislike for RP or any other LZ member, i believe that it is time for you to turn in your key's. This is not the place you are supposed to be. Conversely, if you are a member who worships every breath they take, find it within yourselves to take pity on those who probably have no place here. Do not hurl insults, it is a waste of time. In due course, they will find their own way to the door.

I'd like to see everybody just cool it. 2008 is not the dawning of the Age of Aquarius by any means but i'd like to have this site be my escape from the "outside" world. We have enough shit to deal with in our everyday lives, we don't need to find it here as well.

Cheers to all.

Wow - "we all know its total bullshit" that anyone here on this forum is friends with the band? That's odd, because as I've said before, I knowat least 5 members here who are. Why is that so impossible? Don't believe the band have any friends, or think none of their friends work at computers and come to places like this? Either way, you're naive.

Man i'd give my left nut to be a friend of the band. Maybe even my right to. :o:o:o

Man i'd give my left nut to be a friend of the band. Maybe even my right to. :o:o:o

:hysterical: LOL!!

That's totally nuts! :blink::blink::blink:

Oooh, I'm #4. The Robert heads don't like the #4's.

Oooh, I'm #4. The Robert heads don't like the #4's.

I think many people aren't thrilled with them using the name Zep. I don't know why you single out "Robert heads" :rolleyes:

Really? Where.

It was more in the omission than the comission, the lack of a definitive statement. He said things like "we'll see what's coming around the corner;"it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to play together from time to time;" "it had power and passion," etc. He was asked directly and never answered directly, just rolled eyes and went "Zzzzzzzz" and such.

Not my intention to revisit old fights, just pointing out that for some, the lack of a definitive statement kept the door open, especially given all the other Zeppelin activity that was going on. Add to that a tendency to equivocate in the past and people's hopes were high. Nothing anyone says here is going to make me think Plant wasn't perfectly well aware of that and chose to let it ride.

There's nothing wishy-washy about "I will not be touring with anyone for two years after my current project," but it took him the better part of 2008, until the end of his current tour, to come out with it in black and white. That's all.

Certainly not all his statements pointed to a reunion coming 'round the pike, either, and people's expectations played a role for sure. But please don't revise this to "He announced on Decemeber 11 '07 he would never again sing with Led Zeppelin" because that's not what happened.