Jack Bruce slates Led Zep!

clarksdale

Couldn't see this mentioned elsewhere but sorry if it has been.

BBC 5 Live have just reported on last night's (?) Classic Rock awards. The reporter asked Jack Bruce about Led Zep and was shocked - to say the least - by his response.

Let's just say it was venom (and four-letter word) filled... From memory, he said 'the drummer' (I dare say he can't remember his name) was the only good one in the band and that Jimmy is a 'crap' (I think was the word he chose) session player!!!

Oh, and that he believes Cream were the real innovators and were overshadowed by Zep who (clearly, to Jack's mind) stole their idea (I'm paraphrasing here). Hence his hatred of all things Zep.

Ha ha!! You gotta laugh. No wonder Eric Clapton can't be doing with any more Cream reunions!

I saw Cream at The Albert Hall in 2005 and I'm still delighted I was there - but there's really no comparison with the mighty Zeppelin, I'm afraid. (In my opinion, I should say - and I should also point out I'm 33 so never got to see either band in their heyday).

Listen back on the BBC iPlayer. It was at about 12.45 today.

P.S. Good old Ozzy was far nicer - he said 'good luck to 'em' when asked about Jimmy, JPJ and Jason touring without Percy.

It's amazing that anyone of that status would talk so poorly about a band that is obviously the greatest ever.

I have a good friend who likes cream more than zep. that's what makes the world go 'round. and I wouldn't bash cream, it's obvious they were great as well. Noone can deny that.

Maybe he was a bit tipsy??

This is from Classic Rock website: :angry::angry:

After the ceremony Dave Ling grabbed Bruce for a quickfire interview – and was stunned when the legendary bassist launched into an extraordinary anti-Led Zeppelin rant.

Here's a transcript of what transpired…

The million dollar question: Are Cream going to do anything again?

Oh yeah, I’m sure we will. But we’ll have Todd Rundgren [who’s just walked by] in the band by then.

It’s good news that there might be more from Cream.

Well, the trouble is that I’m doing so many amazing things on my own. Cream is just a band from many, many years ago, and we did do something [referring to the reunion shows in 2005]… Everybody talks about Led Zeppelin, and they played one fucking gig – one fucking lame gig – while Cream did weeks of gigs; proper gigs, not just a lame gig like Zeppelin did, with all the [vocal] keys lowered and everything. We played everything in the original keys. [becoming animated]: Fuck off, Zeppelin, you’re crap. You’ve always been crap and you’ll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they’re sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is.

That’s a bold opinion.

What? You’re gonna compare Eric Clapton with that fucking Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that?

To be fair, they’re different kinds of player, aren’t they?

No! Eric’s good and Jimmy’s crap. And with that I rest my case

After the ceremony Dave Ling grabbed Bruce for a quickfire interview – and was stunned when the legendary bassist launched into an extraordinary anti-Led Zeppelin rant.

Here's a transcript of what transpired…

The million dollar question: Are Cream going to do anything again?

Oh yeah, I’m sure we will. But we’ll have Todd Rundgren [who’s just walked by] in the band by then.

Well, the trouble is that I’m doing so many amazing things on my own. Cream is just a band from many, many years ago, and we did do something [referring to the reunion shows in 2005]… Everybody talks about Led Zeppelin, and they played one fucking gig – one fucking lame gig – while Cream did weeks of gigs; proper gigs, not just a lame gig like Zeppelin did, with all the [vocal] keys lowered and everything. We played everything in the original keys. [becoming animated]: Fuck off, Zeppelin, you’re crap. You’ve always been crap and you’ll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they’re sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is.

That’s a bold opinion.

What? You’re gonna compare Eric Clapton with that fucking Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that?

Boy oh boy,

Is Jimmy ever going to have to prove himself. B)

unfortunately when some people reach a certain age (bruce is 65+)

their mind goes and they start drooling and talking gibberish

best just to ignore them!

caroselambra+

Cream had a tremendous impact on me in my toddlerhood.

Everytime I went to visit my mom and dad's best friends,

their son was blasting it on the stereo.

Songs like White Room, Sunshine, etc... so many

Couldn't see this mentioned elsewhere but sorry if it has been.

BBC 5 Live have just reported on last night's (?) Classic Rock awards. The reporter asked Jack Bruce about Led Zep and was shocked - to say the least - by his response.

Let's just say it was venom (and four-letter word) filled... From memory, he said 'the drummer' (I dare say he can't remember his name) was the only good one in the band and that Jimmy is a 'crap' (I think was the word he chose) session player!!!

Oh, and that he believes Cream were the real innovators and were overshadowed by Zep who (clearly, to Jack's mind) stole their idea (I'm paraphrasing here). Hence his hatred of all things Zep.

Ha ha!! You gotta laugh. No wonder Eric Clapton can't be doing with any more Cream reunions!

I saw Cream at The Albert Hall in 2005 and I'm still delighted I was there - but there's really no comparison with the mighty Zeppelin, I'm afraid. (In my opinion, I should say - and I should also point out I'm 33 so never got to see either band in their heyday).

Listen back on the BBC iPlayer. It was at about 12.45 today.

P.S. Good old Ozzy was far nicer - he said 'good luck to 'em' when asked about Jimmy, JPJ and Jason touring without Percy.

Have the DVD's Cream concert from Albert Hall in May 2005. What a great concert! But have to say there seem to be tension on the stage between Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton. Todd Rundgren - favorite song "Onomatopoeia" and love his music too!

It's amazing that anyone of that status would talk so poorly about a band that is obviously the greatest ever.

I have a good friend who likes cream more than zep. that's what makes the world go 'round. and I wouldn't bash cream, it's obvious they were great as well. Noone can deny that.

Maybe he was a bit tipsy??

Hi 'bigzepfan'

You gotta remember that Jimmy Page in particular and Led Zeppelin in general did steal the thunder of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Cream.

JP and Zepp took what EC, JeffB and Cream did to its final conclusion in the form of the Super Group Led Zeppelin, they are very jealous of what Zepp achieved and probably think that the laurels should be theirs. Eric and Jeff are Rock Gods in their own right but Jimmy sits at the right hand of whatever diety is up there.

And Jack Bruce and all must remember that although they may or may not have started this thing called Rock Music, Led Zeppelin will always be remembered as the pinacle of what a Rock Band is, and each member of Led Zeppelin are also the pinacle of what each member of a Rock Band should be.

Love them or loath them, Led Zeppelin were, are, and maybe always will be the Biggest and Greatest thing that Rock Music will ever see, this is just my opinion, and maybe a zillion others.

Regards, Danny

I was gonna put this down to the (in)famous Newcastle belligerence, but Mr. Bruce goes too far. Of course he's going to champion his old bandmate, but to slag Jimmy Page as a "crap" player... :angry: There's no point in even arguing in the face of such stupidity. Page is miles above and beyond Clapton as a guitarist, composer, producer, stage presence, and intellect. There is simply no contest.

To give Clapton his due though: he was best guitarist The Yardbirds ever had, apart from Beck and Page :D

Hi 'bigzepfan'

You gotta remember that Jimmy Page in particular and Led Zeppelin in general did steal the thunder of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Cream.

JP and Zepp took what EC, JeffB and Cream did to its final conclusion in the form of the Super Group Led Zeppelin, they are very jealous of what Zepp achieved and probably think that the laurels should be theirs. Eric and Jeff are Rock Gods in their own right but Jimmy sits at the right hand of whatever diety is up there.

And Jack Bruce and all must remember that although they may or may not have started this thing called Rock Music, Led Zeppelin will always be remembered as the pinacle of what a Rock Band is, and each member of Led Zeppelin are also the pinacle of what each member of a Rock Band should be.

Love them or loath them, Led Zeppelin were, are, and maybe always will be the Biggest and Greatest thing that Rock Music will ever see, this is just my opinion, and maybe a zillion others.

Regards, Danny

Hey, they are fine. Remember that version of Jeff Jimmy and Eric doing Stairway sans vocals?

It's wonderful and it's also obvious, they are brothers.

Can't you guys see what is going on here? It is obvious. Jimmy fucked his girlfriend, and Bruce is still bitter all these years later. lol OR maybe Zeppelin is just 10 times better than anything Clapton ever touched. Clapton is a great guitar player, but he could never write a song like Page. PERIOD!

Jack Bruce is a tool.

First of all, Cream WAS a good band, but pretty one-dimensional. They had none of the diversity Led Zeppelin had, not even close. You can't possibly compare the two. Other than Eric, the band was overrated in terms of skill.

Secondly, that fucking tosser stole Mick Taylor from The Stones, thus weakening the next greatest band.

Fuck him. <_<

That’s a bold opinion.

FU*K HIM!! this idiot seem to be delusional or something....it's so clear that he is jealous because Led Zeppelin was and still is more successful than Cream...

Cream did have some great music but it's incomparable to the music of the greatest band of all times Led Zeppelin...

Archived