Jack Bruce slates Led Zep!

clarksdale

I have always found it interesting over the years the anymosity towards Page. Ive read several interviews with Clapton, Richards, now Bruce, Townsend, etc and they frankly think Zep is just crap. Everyone has an opinion but there seems to be something more here. I dont think Clapton and Page have ever been close and Ive heard Page talk good things about Clapton but Eric has usually been negative or no comment.

Hi Mad Dog,

Just to let you know, Eric and Jimmy were very good friends before the Yardbirds days. They used to play and record together in Jimmys mums house, this is where the rift lies.

When Eric joined the Yardbirds he signed to a record label, the label then found out that Jimmy had recordings of himself and Eric and sent round the heavies to demand the tapes, which were handed over. Years later they appeared on a record and Eric is sure that Jimmy got paid nicely for them and he got nothing. Jimmy denies this but Eric doesnt believe him.

The rest is just bullshit, The Who, The Stones and Cream (Eric) all came before Led Zeppelin and they were all peeved that this little upstart band took away all their laurels. And as for all of them thinking Led Zeppelin are crap, well as far as i'm concerned non of them can hold a candle to what Led Zeppelin did musicaly, Led Zeppelin blew them all away, just ask anyone who has a keen knowledge of music and they will tell you the same.

Jimmy Page v Eric Clapton or Pete Townsend or Keith Richards

Robert Plant v Jack Bruce or Mick Jagger or Roger Daltry

JPJ v Jack Bruce or John Entwistle or Bill Wyman

John Bonham v Ginger Baker or Keith Moon or Charlie Watts

I would put the Zepp members first against all these musicians, how about you?

Regards, Danny

Well, that list just shows how pointless comparisons are. They're all just different from each other.

I don't see that it matters what other musicians say about Zep--we don't have to agree with them. We are, however, giving Bruce's statements a lot more publicity than they might otherwise have had!

I would put the Zepp members first against all these musicians, how about you?Regards, Danny

Sorry to butt in but I wouldn't. I'm not into making a competition out of music but I don't think any of the Zep guys can make a claim that they are the best at their particular instrument. Their strength is what they did together not alone. Bonham may be the exception, if you limited it to rock drumming.

Sorry to butt in but I wouldn't. I'm not into making a competition out of music but I don't think any of the Zep guys can make a claim that they are the best at their particular instrument. Their strength is what they did together not alone. Bonham may be the exception.

The Zepp members are not claiming to be the best, and neither am i, i said i would put them first against any of the other musicians, thats my choice. Its not a competion, sorry if you thought it was, just my opinion.

And you got it wrong about Bonham being the exception, Baker is a much more knowledgeable drummer than our John, i just like Johns playing a thousand times more than Bakers.

Regards, Danny

Unfortunately, Jack Bruce has slagged Led Zeppelin several times before. One can only speculate as to the psychology of why he does, but it's certainly no news. In fact, Jack and Ginger Baker, for all their bickering, both seem to despise Led Zeppelin. Eric's point of view is noticeably less negative; he seems to view LZ as heirs to a part of Cream's legacy - which is very one-sided, but at least he's not slagging the boys. B)

But EC admits that he didn't like Zep's approach to the blues.

JB's opinion isn't new as you say Otto.

The Zepp members are not claiming to be the best, and neither am i, i said i would put them first against any of the other musicians, thats my choice. Its not a competion, sorry if you thought it was, just my opinion.

And you got it wrong about Bonham being the exception, Baker is a much more knowledgeable drummer than our John, i just like Johns playing a thousand times more than Bakers.

Regards, Danny

Sorry I misunderstood you. Personal faves can be a fun thing to talk about for sure.

Hi Mad Dog,

Just to let you know, Eric and Jimmy were very good friends before the Yardbirds days. They used to play and record together in Jimmys mums house, this is where the rift lies.

When Eric joined the Yardbirds he signed to a record label, the label then found out that Jimmy had recordings of himself and Eric and sent round the heavies to demand the tapes, which were handed over. Years later they appeared on a record and Eric is sure that Jimmy got paid nicely for them and he got nothing. Jimmy denies this but Eric doesnt believe him.

The rest is just bullshit, The Who, The Stones and Cream (Eric) all came before Led Zeppelin and they were all peeved that this little upstart band took away all their laurels. And as for all of them thinking Led Zeppelin are crap, well as far as i'm concerned non of them can hold a candle to what Led Zeppelin did musicaly, Led Zeppelin blew them all away, just ask anyone who has a keen knowledge of music and they will tell you the same.

I would put the Zepp members first against all these musicians, how about you?

Regards, Danny

Ive heard of the story regarding Clapton and Page. However, this was some 40 years ago...you would think Clapton would be over this by now

Sorry I misunderstood you. Personal faves can be a fun thing to talk about for sure.

Ok, i'm cool with you, and i put Led Zeppelins music before anything, even "God save the Queen" so dont you go cussing my boys. :lol:

Regards, Danny

This just reminds me of how hated Led Zeppelin was (and obviously still are)

by just about all of the big English bands after Zeppelin exploded onto the scene and stole all of their thunder....how dare they.

It must kill people like Jack Bruce to see all the fuss over the 02 reunion and the subsequent mass demand for a tour.

I don't see anybody begging for a Cream tour, or even another reunion show for that matter.

Yes, Jack. Led Zeppelin is still adored by millions of old and new fans, and yes,

their music is as relevant today as it was when they created it .....how dare they.

Ya' gotta love it.

by just about all of the big English bands after Zeppelin exploded onto the scene and stole all of their thunder....how dare they.

It must kill people like Jack Bruce to see all the fuss over the 02 reunion and the subsequent mass demand for a tour.

I don't see anybody begging for a Cream tour, or even another reunion show for that matter.

Yes, Jack. Led Zeppelin is still adored by millions of old and new fans, and yes,

their music is as relevant today as it was when they created it .....how dare they.

Ya' gotta love it.

I think it's awesome. I mean at least Thownsend has come to grips with the fact that his band is not as big as Zeppelin. But guys like Bruce, Jagger, Richards, Stewart, Crapton, they all still have a major bug in there ass. I think it's fantastic.

Ive heard of the story regarding Clapton and Page. However, this was some 40 years ago...you would think Clapton would be over this by now

Normal people maybe, but Claptons Ego is very big indeed, he never liked the way Jimmy and Zeppelin played and changed Blues Music as he claims to be a Blues Pureist, what ever that means?

I think he thought that his style was better/purer than Jimmys, and the truth was that the fans of Rock took to Jimmy and Zeppelin more than him.

A Clapton fan once spraypainted on a wall in the Angel Underground Railway Station "Clapton is God" this i think went to his head, i think the spraypainter was dyslexic and ment only "Clapton is Good", i mean how can you be a Rock God with a nickname like "Slowhand"? Beats me,

Regards, Danny

^^ I think all those guys (Bruce, Jagger, Richards, etc.) are great.

I don't see anybody begging for a Cream tour, or even another reunion show for that matter. Yes, Jack. Led Zeppelin is still adored by millions of old and new fans, and yes,

Ya' gotta love it.

I wouldn't mind one . .

Ya' gotta love it.

Hi 'snapper'

You are so right.

Just look how many Led Zeppelin Tribut bands there are, i've seen 5 different ones in London/Kent area in the last year alone, there are more out there than any other band including the Beatles. In Americia there seems to be a Led Zeppelin Tribute Band in every state. The boys could have filled the O2 arena every day from now till the day they all go and meet JB.

Bigger than "Jesus"? Nowonder theres so much profesional jealousy.

Regards, Danny

I love Cream but they are obviously a bunch of assholes though. Jack's just jealous that Zeppelin is

the greatest band ever and Cream is very far from that. Cream was good (rather one dimensional)

and didn't really do anything different and obviously can't hold a candle to Zeppelin.

Can't you guys see what is going on here? It is obvious. Jimmy fucked his girlfriend, and Bruce is still bitter all these years later. lol

Funny, but it could be true. Plus, the dudes girlfriends he wasn't banging probably wanted to be with him, and this .....as we all know, is unforgivable.

I thought Clapton and Page are/were friends?

All in all this doesn't surprise me at all. Seems like musicians like to take shots at each other all the time so I take everything with a grain of salt, as do they, I'm sure. Fans, not so much.

I thought Clapton and Page are/were friends?

All in all this doesn't surprise me at all. Seems like musicians like to take shots at each other all the time so I take everything with a grain of salt, as do they, I'm sure. Fans, not so much.

Exactly.

It's funny that Paul McCartney was arguably in a bigger band than any of these guys and he's never had anything but great things to say about Zep collectively and individually. Most recently after he attended the O2 show as a fan of the band!

It's funny that Paul McCartney was arguably in a bigger band than any of these guys and he's never had anything but great things to say about Zep collectively and individually. Most recently after he attended the O2 show as a fan of the band!

Can't say I've heard Paul say anything bad about anyone, he's just a nice guy, classy too.

I really believe the Page/Clapton thing has always been seriously overblown. It was Clapton who rang up Jimmy to play on the ARMS tour. A phone call that may have saved Jimmy's life considering the shape he was in at the time. It did get him working again.

As far as the rest, it's just sour grapes, I've said this before, I believe when Led Zep one was released there was a collective "Oh Shit!" heard through out the musical landscape.

Like I said. Nobody's begging for a Cream reunion. I wouldn't mind having a beer right now, but that really ain't saying much. I love all these guys too, but thats not the point here.

It's probably more of a timing thing. Before the Cream reunion happened plenty of people were begging for it and it was HUGE news. Now that it's already happened not so much.

Archived