Jack Bruce slates Led Zep!

clarksdale

But EC admits that he didn't like Zep's approach to the blues.

JB's opinion isn't new as you say Otto.

Ah, when you mention it, Paul, yeah, I think I remember him having said that at some point. :yesnod:

But that's him merely voicing his personal opinion, not slagging. And Clapton has also said the thing I mentioned. Think he does on the Strange Brew DVD for example. He managed to bring in the term heavy metal in that connection, can't remember how he phrased it.

But I didn't say Jack Bruce's opinion is new - I said the exact opposite: that it's no news at all. Old story, in other words. B)

wow!!!! that is hilarious! "jimmy's crap" priceless! jack bruce - did a proper gig and now look at him!

i put our boys head to toe with each and everyone of them....

Oi beatbo, you've been plagiarizing my posts, or did you not read them?

Shame musicans slag each other off, I have heard slight put downs at LZ from Eric Claptout too, Things is if they took what Cream did and made it better is just the way of the world...it happens but I don't think Cream did anything like BronY aur stomp or Kashmir, they were more just one direction where as Zep were multi directional, so Jack just seems very bitter and thats a shame .

I don't think Cream did anything like BronY aur stomp or Kashmir, they were more just one direction where as Zep were multi directional, so Jack just seems very bitter and thats a shame .

Neither did LZ in the first 18 months they were around, that's the amount of time Cream was together. In fairness you'd have to compare what the guys from Cream were doing at the same time as Bron Y Aur Stomp or Kashmir and by then they had certainly expanded their musical exploration and gone beyond the blues-rock of Cream. Heck by the time LZ cut Kashmir EC was already heading into Top 40 territory after experimenting with everything from folk to reggae and Bruce was doing some pretty heady jazz-fusion stuff with Mick Taylor.

Comparing Cream's very short career and musical output to LZ isn't apples to apples.

Maybe so but Cream's demise had nothing to do with LZ, they were done before Zep came around.

True but try telling Jack that. No doubt he was paranoid that Jimmy and Eric would hook up again in the few years Cream was popular. In fact, Jimmy had a lot of 60s superstars in mind for his post-Yardbirds supergroup. He was threatned for it, too, by big league managers.

I really believe the Page/Clapton thing has always been seriously overblown. It was Clapton who rang up Jimmy to play on the ARMS tour. A phone call that may have saved Jimmy's life considering the shape he was in at the time. It did get him working again.

As far as the rest, it's just sour grapes, I've said this before, I believe when Led Zep one was released there was a collective "Oh Shit!" heard through out the musical landscape.

i'm not sure about that. i seem to remember that it was ian stewart who did the organizing/arm twisting and was at a party with glyn johns when jimmy walked up and asked "why hasn't anyone asked me?" to which stewart said "step right this way."

This is from Classic Rock website: :angry::angry:

After the ceremony Dave Ling grabbed Bruce for a quickfire interview – and was stunned when the legendary bassist launched into an extraordinary anti-Led Zeppelin rant.

Here's a transcript of what transpired…

The million dollar question: Are Cream going to do anything again?

Oh yeah, I’m sure we will. But we’ll have Todd Rundgren [who’s just walked by] in the band by then.

It’s good news that there might be more from Cream.

Well, the trouble is that I’m doing so many amazing things on my own. Cream is just a band from many, many years ago, and we did do something [referring to the reunion shows in 2005]… Everybody talks about Led Zeppelin, and they played one fucking gig – one fucking lame gig – while Cream did weeks of gigs; proper gigs, not just a lame gig like Zeppelin did, with all the [vocal] keys lowered and everything. We played everything in the original keys. [becoming animated]: Fuck off, Zeppelin, you’re crap. You’ve always been crap and you’ll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they’re sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is.

That’s a bold opinion.

What? You’re gonna compare Eric Clapton with that fucking Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that?

To be fair, they’re different kinds of player, aren’t they?

No! Eric’s good and Jimmy’s crap. And with that I rest my case

fucking Cream......that one gig was better than anything they ever did.......I love Clapton, and Baker, but come on :angry:

oh well to each his own :slapface: Zep has prob forgotten about more albums they have sold than Cream has in it's entirety :blink:

Isn't Clapton the one that popularized the LesPaul/Marshall stack combo?

Yes and no. IMO what he did with a Les Paul and Marshall had less to do with the gear but what he did with it. If all EC accomplished was his playing on "Beano" he should be regarded as a key pivot point in how guitar was played. His attack, tone and the aggressive way he played on that album changed everything.

Robert said last year that Zep had no contemporaries in there time and no one could touch them. Something to that effect. It was a bold statement. Had to do with someone asking him about a Stones comparison I think. I agree with him.

That must be a standard answer for him when asked about the Stones, I've read that in another interview from about 5 or 6 years ago, in Spin I think.

As for Jack Bruce, it's been said already, but I'd wager that he's not quite the man that JPJ is on the bass. It's sad to see such animosity among peers of that level. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

Isn't Clapton the one that popularized the LesPaul/Marshall stack combo?

:yesnod: The Bluesbreakers album..... Yes, Eric pioneered it, and as Danelectro says, played really loud and with a lot of aggressiveness, that tone on "Have you heard" for instance. Jimmy has acknowledged this many times over the years.

That must be a standard answer for him when asked about the Stones, I've read that in another interview from about 5 or 6 years ago, in Spin I think.

As for Jack Bruce, it's been said already, but I'd wager that he's not quite the man that JPJ is on the bass. It's sad to see such animosity among peers of that level. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

It's already been pointed out in the thread that this is nothing new. Jack Bruce must have had many bad days in the last few decades.

Jack is also, however, absolutely without question one of the best bass players in rock history.

It's funny that Paul McCartney was arguably in a bigger band than any of these guys and he's never had anything but great things to say about Zep collectively and individually. Most recently after he attended the O2 show as a fan of the band!

You've hit the nail on the head. The Beatles were the one band bigger than Zeppelin so Paul has nothing to feel envious or bitter about...hence never having said a bad word about Zep. Quite the contrary in fact. He seems to like them a lot.

I have to say though that I have heard both Jagger and Watts saying nice things about Zeppelin. Watts loved Bonzo.

It's funny that Paul McCartney was arguably in a bigger band than any of these guys and he's never had anything but great things to say about Zep collectively and individually. Most recently after he attended the O2 show as a fan of the band!

I haven't read through the thousands of forum posts about replacement vocalists for Led Zep, so I don't know if this has come up before, but it's suddenly hit me that Paul McCartney would be absolutely perfect in the job. Apart from having the range and the warmth in his voice, he would have no trouble improvising old rock'n'roll stuff during live shows. Perhaps not so much the blues I suppose as that wasn't as big an influence on the Beatles, but still. Anyone got his phone number? I reckon he'd be down at the rehearsal studio within the hour.

Ah, hang on, there might be a fight for the bass player position. Maybe him and JPJ could take turns on bass/keyboards.

I haven't read through the thousands of forum posts about replacement vocalists for Led Zep, so I don't know if this has come up before, but it's suddenly hit me that Paul McCartney would be absolutely perfect in the job. Apart from having the range and the warmth in his voice, he would have no trouble improvising old rock'n'roll stuff during live shows. Perhaps not so much the blues I suppose as that wasn't as big an influence on the Beatles, but still. Anyone got his phone number? I reckon he'd be down at the rehearsal studio within the hour.

Ah, hang on, there might be a fight for the bass player position. Maybe him and JPJ could take turns on bass/keyboards.

Oh no - we'd have to have encore after encore of "Let It Be" and all that thumbs up stuff - I can't think of a worse choice, sorry!

Jack was on the WCSX Morning Show on the way to work today. He basically reiterated everything he previously said, but in a very tongue-in-cheek way. According to Jack, In England you must always show respect for two things....the Queen & Led Zeppelin. He mentioned that Jimmy can't hold a candle to Eric, that Bonham was the only member worth a shit, and that Zep might be better off without Robert Plant. He also mentioned that Cream blazed a path for Zeppelin, because they were the first true arena band. He also mentioned that Cream was originally slated to play at the Ahmet tribute, until it was moved to the O2. Both He and Eric felt the O2 was too large of an arena for Cream. Also, he laughed and added that all his comments arose from pure jealousy, and that most people don't appreciate his sense of humor.

The interview will eventually be posted here.....http://wcsx.com/

Jack was on the WCSX Morning Show on the way to work today. He basically reiterated everything he previously said, but in a very tongue-in-cheek way. According to Jack, In England you must always show respect for two things....the Queen & Led Zeppelin.

I so wish that was true. B)

He mentioned that Jimmy can't hold a candle to Eric, that Bonham was the only member worth a shit, and that Zep might be better off without Robert Plant. He also mentioned that Cream blazed a path for Zeppelin, because they were the first true arena band. He also mentioned that Cream was originally slated to play at the Ahmet tribute, until it was moved to the O2. Both He and Eric felt the O2 was too large of an arena for Cream. Also, he laughed and added that all his comments arose from pure jealousy, and that most people don't appreciate his sense of humor.

And that probably is!! :D

Jack was on the WCSX Morning Show on the way to work today. He basically reiterated everything he previously said, but in a very tongue-in-cheek way. According to Jack, In England you must always show respect for two things....the Queen & Led Zeppelin. He mentioned that Jimmy can't hold a candle to Eric, that Bonham was the only member worth a shit, and that Zep might be better off without Robert Plant. He also mentioned that Cream blazed a path for Zeppelin, because they were the first true arena band. He also mentioned that Cream was originally slated to play at the Ahmet tribute, until it was moved to the O2. Both He and Eric felt the O2 was too large of an arena for Cream. Also, he laughed and added that all his comments arose from pure jealousy, and that most people don't appreciate his sense of humor.

The interview will eventually be posted here.....http://wcsx.com/

In america we call it damage control......lol

Jack was on the WCSX Morning Show on the way to work today. He basically reiterated everything he previously said, but in a very tongue-in-cheek way. Also, he laughed and added that all his comments arose from pure jealousy, and that most people don't appreciate his sense of humor.

http://wcsx.com/

I appreciate his sense of humor (and said so on Pg. 1) and laughed as I read his original remarks. Those who get angry about it didn't have that same laugh.

If Jack was a slack bassist it would be one thing, but he IS one of the very best and can hold a candle to anyone in his field.

After the good laugh I had with him, I laugh even harder at the sensitivities expressed here in near outrage! :lol:

Archived